Retirees are too frugal!

Re: diamonds. My DH got sucked in by the commercials and bought me an anniversary diamond. I have never liked diamonds (which he knew) so we took it back. The clerk asked if I wanted a larger diamond. She was terribly puzzled by the fact that I didn't want a diamond at all. My DH then went and got a gift I would enjoy--a Sawzall. Now that made me happy.

When appliances are old and repair parts are expensive we just replace them.

When appliances are old and repair parts are expensive we just replace them.

We've used a local appliance store which offers reconditioned appliances.

E.g., reconditioned over-the-range microwave for $50, washer/dryer set for $300, delivered, including hauling away the old appliances.

When our new, fancy, glass-top range dies in a little over 5 years [at the end of its extended warranty :)] I'll just get a reconditioned electric coil-top range from the above...

Last edited:
Re: diamonds. My DH got sucked in by the commercials and bought me an anniversary diamond. I have never liked diamonds (which he knew) so we took it back. The clerk asked if I wanted a larger diamond. She was terribly puzzled by the fact that I didn't want a diamond at all. My DH then went and got a gift I would enjoy--a Sawzall. Now that made me happy.
Yeah - the companies have been very effective in their marketing. I'm sure most of the salespeople can't imagine a woman who doesn't want a diamond.

Ah, a Sawzall. Now, that's a good gift to a woman who has everything else.

But do you have everything else? How about a 1" air impact wrench and socket set? How about a spot welder? A TIG welder?

I'm quite fond of my Multiplaz 3500 welder, cutter and brazer but my girlfriend prefers diamonds.

Well, certainly a Sawzall ought to keep that DH on the well behaved side of things!

I really like my Milwaukee sawzall BTW use it all the time here at the ranch.

I just spent 42k for an offroad Silverado, but it will let us get to hikes anywhere in the Sierras and West Coast. (The yewts gave us 6k for our Legacy which will fit their baby seat in the back for the grandbaby, so it was more like 36k.)
Frugal on!
Coming from a GM retired employee, I'm sorry.

We've used a local appliance store which offers reconditioned appliances.

E.g., reconditioned over-the-range microwave for $50, washer/dryer set for $300, delivered, including hauling away the old appliances...

I used to buy used appliances too until I realized most people don't need to buy a washing machine every two years. My first machine bought new lasted 16 years.

I bought used appliances once. Once was enough.

I'm the poster who had to break down and buy a new gas wall oven. When my 20 year old Caloric igniter crapped out, I bought a new one for $35, installed it following youtube videos. It lasted a few months.. bought another one, installed it, would not glow. Got an appliance repair guy out, he says the gas valve in the oven was bad, could not find a replacement.. so had to spend big bucks for a new gas oven. So I tried the frugal approaches, doing it myself.. just didn't work out this time.

Since I view financial life as a 'zero-sum" deal, now the game will be figuring out how to spend less on other things to make up for this big and unplanned expense!

Frugal? Just paid for new hurricane windows for my coastal condo. Next year replacing the tile in kitchen/baths and will be assessed for a new roof there. When you maintain two locations it's hard to wear a frugal badge.

Yes, this is me. Lost wife quickly due to Pancreatic cancer. Did a lot of sobbing. Now ready to live again and live as large as possible with whatever time I have.

36985531464_023348ca86_o.jpg

Also out of large Maine lobster tails, time to order more - :)

lol, this is me Robbie,

lost the old guy to Leukemia in 2013 when he was only 55. took a while to get my sea legs back under me after that blow and help the kids through it.

lol I am acutely aware that life is short, so I don't sweat the small stuff.

RobbieB, from what I remember about Cali is the coast was pretty expensive, we lived in SoCAL in the OC for 15 years. Property is expensive as are taxes. I would assume property is more reasonable in Central CA. Not sure about property taxes. But under prop 13 you are probably grandfathered in. I would expect the cost to be significantly less overall in Central CA (Especially property). So you do need to have something to spend you Wodges of Cash on. I agree, if you want it buy it. Extravagance is a frame of mine, I have a NEW car every 3 years need it or not, other balk at me all the time, to me that is what I worked for the last 40 + years. Not sure what your health care costs are but that is a big chunk for those who do not get it at no or little cost from previous employers or the VA and have to deal with that, it certainly casts a big cloud over ones budget.

Our 23 year old cooktop has 2 burners that don't work(and parts aren't available anymore). Told DW that at this rate the remaining 2 burners should last another 23 years.

One dead oven and one out of 4 burners that works about every other time. Both stove and oven are circa 1960 and beautifully designed. So far cannot bear to part with either one.

Re: gas stoves.
Admittedly, I am not an expert, but will recount my experience with "bad burners".
Some gas ranges have steel burners and connector, some cast iron. In the case of cast iron, periodically (every 5 years or so) wire brush the the burner holes. If the tubes between the pilots are also cast iron, a long wire brush to open them wider.

On steel , you can also wire brush, but less aggressively.

Now... if individual burners do not light, even when the pilot is going... here's something to look for. Particularly is there is a range hood, over the stove top. Not all of the grease from cooking always goes up the chimney, or into the filter. Over a long period of time, the grease particles can fall into a burner head. Eventually, especially if the burner is not often used, that grease can congeal, go from the burner head into the connecting tube. The connecting tube usually has a small "dip" on the way to the pilot light. If the grease builds up there, it can prevent the gas from going to the burner, even though the burner valve is turned on. There is not enough pressure to let the gas go to the burner head. If the burners are removeable, unscrew the burner and the tube, and poke a flexible wire through the inlet tube, to clear the grease, then user a degreaser to wash out the entire burner. This is a "sneaky" little problem that doesn't show itself, since the grease "plug" is in a semi liquid state.

How did I know this? 'Cuz it happened to me last month at my camp. All is well again. Took about a half hour.

Damn it.. our gas stove has been firing intermittently lately.

Professor Youtube had diagnosed the problem as the common ignition harness but now I wonder if it isn't just in need of a good clean.. there goes Saturday.
:facepalm:

I wish I was a spendthrift sometimes. "Hello, Home Depot ? I'm to lazy to clean my stove. Bring me a new gas oven and I'll read you the number off this little plastic card to pay for it. Don't disturb me when you deliver it into the kitchen because I'll be in the solarium drinking rum"

Ah, a Sawzall. Now, that's a good gift to a woman who has everything else.

But do you have everything else? How about a 1" air impact wrench and socket set? How about a spot welder? A TIG welder?

I'm quite fond of my Multiplaz 3500 welder, cutter and brazer but my girlfriend prefers diamonds.

Never knew of Multiplaz welder, so I had to look it up. Quite pricey at $2500 for a 17-lb welder that uses isopropyl alcohol and water. What?

Looks like a neat toy, er, tool. Should I buy my wife one as a present? :angel:

Can she cite that as a reason for divorce? :LOL:

Yeah you want spark or hot surface igniters for gas.

That welder is way cool and I've used it many times. Most recently on my fireplace insert install. Even used it to weld up this wood rack;

33313409531_dc08cb0fbd_z.jpg

Unless you have a tomboy wife/girlfriend I wouldn't go there - :)

I buy cheap to mid range appliances and replace them when they break.

Frugal? Just paid for new hurricane windows for my coastal condo. Next year replacing the tile in kitchen/baths and will be assessed for a new roof there. When you maintain two locations it's hard to wear a frugal badge.

Yes.

if I did not buy the 2nd home in 2005, which I paid more for than my main home, and invested that money and also the operating cost over the years, I would have another million buck.

I have no problem treating myself to the occasional luxury as long as the total spending for the year is no more than the tools like FIRECalc say I can safely spend. In fact, the older I get the less resistance I have to spending, because if not now, when?

EXACTLY !! Was watching youtube videos with Stott and one with Kitces talking about building up a Roth. Ia back door strategies and how your heirs would greatly appreciate the tax free status of doing that. WTF:confused:!!!

Spend it!!

Back
Top Bottom