Reveal my intent??

So much of this depends on your relationship with your boss, and the culture of the company.

The only way I would suggest advanced notice is if you had seen it before. In some cases a person might be wrapping up a project and it's known it's his last one which ends in 4-8 months.

But you have almost nothing to gain by sharing this info unless if your boss is a personal friend who is going to be a bigger advocate for you than for the company.

You're better approach is to take the mindset that you have FU money and that you don't need the job. Start carrying that through in your work by being bluntly obvious and cutting through the BS you normally put up with. Some people enjoy their jobs a lot more once they realize they don't NEED it.

You seem to be in the mindset that you NEED it because you are counting the weeks, but in reality, you could work another job to bridge the gap.

Well, I am so done lately with MegaCorp politics and ways of working. My manager is talking about having me lead a new project lately. I am ready to go in 2020.

I find it hard to go along and take on new responsibility. I am thinking I just let my mgr know I'm going in 2020. I know this may not be the best but, I hate to live a lie.

Is this bad?

Hey, maybe they'll let me go and give me a package!?! : )

At this point I really don't care anymore about my career. We are ok financially for retirement.

Keep your own counsel. Check what notices must be given legally and by policy so you don't lose anything in the transition and THEN let them know.

Retiring next Friday. I gave a year verbally and written eight weeks out. I was burned out/checked out, but had to stay this year to qualify for a pension. I gave it my all, but the tank was empty. I gave a year because I was being pressured to "improve and grow" as an employee. The pressure was doubling down on my burn out and empty tank. Giving notice and having "train replacement" as my goal in my annual review kept the pressure off and I've been able to manage my depression and anxiety a little better in 2018 than 2017. However, as someone mentioned a couple of posts up, I've been marginalized this last year. It didn't bother me, but it would have at other points in my career. It wasn't ideal and in a different place mentally, I'd do it differently. If it doesn't affect your financial health, I'd turn in two to four weeks notice today.

Back
Top Bottom