Robocall class action lawsuit - potential $300 per call payout

Three years after starting this thread I received a settlement check. While it wasn't the hyped up $300 amount, it was more than the earlier report of $22.

Probably the only time in my life I'll get any monetary compensation for the thousand of spam calls to my phone.

Attachments

• InkedCheck_LI.jpg
    InkedCheck_LI.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 71
Probably. These class actions may persuade the offending parties to change their behavior but the primary result is collection of legal fees and payment to class members is just a by product. Congrats!

The primary result of a class action frequently is a change in behavior by the defendant. Because the impact to each individual is small, it is not feasible for individuals to achieve this.

Nice amount.
The biggest I ever got was around $60 from the satellite radio company, that hounded me to subscribe. It was very annoying as I paid 10 cents every time they phoned.

Hoping I get something out of this one. :popcorn:

Three years after starting this thread I received a settlement check. While it wasn't the hyped up $300 amount, it was more than the earlier report of $22.

Probably the only time in my life I'll get any monetary compensation for the thousand of spam calls to my phone.

I recently got a settlement check for $8.34. I don't even remember what is was for.

But it made me think of what happened to that $300 spam settlement.

Now I know. Looking forward to my $50 bucks. [emoji16][emoji16]

Three years after starting this thread I received a settlement check.
Thanks for the follow up. Time to party. Have some champagne tomorrow morning! Leave out the death peaches, though.

I received the princely amount of $8.34 - now planning where to invest it. Perhaps in a nice IPA?

I received the princely amount of $8.34 - now planning where to invest it. Perhaps in a nice IPA?

Same here. Strange thing is that it was for the claim linked to my wife's cell phone number. We (I) also filed a claim under our landline, which gets way more robo-calls, but we haven't received a check for that yet (maybe TWO IPAs).

Back in 2017 I predicted it would be enough for two lattes at Starbucks (message #39). I got $25+ - should cover those 2 lattes and maybe something decadent from their bakery.

- Rita

I recently got a settlement check for $8.34. I don't even remember what is was for.

But it made me think of what happened to that $300 spam settlement.

Now I know. Looking forward to my $50 bucks. [emoji16][emoji16]
I guess the $8.34 was my spam call check.

Oh well, on to filling out the Google claim I just received.

I had forgotten about this. I received a check for $25 and change. Not going to complain about it.

Today, eight months after getting a settlement check for $50, I received another check - this time for $2.50. The class action settlement that keeps on paying. :)

Yup, us too! First check was less than $10, but we also got another one yesterday for $2.50. :)

Interesting. We never received a first check but got one yesterday for $2.50.

We have vivid memories of many, many of these calls, so I wonder if we were awarded a first check but never received it? Anyone know how/if I could check on this? To think we submitted all that 'proof' for a whopping $2.50 is really annoying. Can't even get one Starbucks Frappuccino for that!

ETA: I was wrong. We did get a first check for $8.34 back in August. I thought that was for another class action case but it was actually for this one.

Last edited:
We actually submitted two claims, one for my wife's cell phone and one for our landline. We only received settlement checks for her cell.

I looked yesterday to see if there was a way to check on the status of the other claim, but I couldn't find a link that allows you to enter specific claim number. :(

Received 2nd settlement check for $2.50. Now I have to decide what to do with these new found riches. :D

Just saw an online article about Robo Revenge. Sounds like it's different from the class action suit mentioned in this post. You sign up for their app, they give you a fake credit card # to use, then when you respond they capture the spammer's info which you then use to sue them in small claims court.

Has anyone here used the app, or gone so far as to file a claim in small claims?

I haven’t but oh I’d like to. I consider myself a relatively gentle soul but when spammers use my phone more than I do for calls, it really irks.

What does one actually sue for in small claims court?

I’d have to think more about how to defend myself In deliberately providing a fake credit card....

Last edited:
I’d have to think more about how to defend myself In deliberately providing a fake credit card....

Seriously? You're worried that the law breaking scammer is going to sue you for giving a fake credit card number?

To put your mind at ease, it's not a fake credit card number, it's a real virtual number set up by and owned by DoNotPay and you've been authorized to use it.

Scammer taking the credit card number has no idea where the credit card number came from, doesn't even know it was generated by DoNotPay. All they know is when they attempted to use it that the charge was denied.

What does one actually sue for in small claims court?

Here are all the details...
https://donotpay.com/learn/report-robocall/

Njhowie - thanks for the clarification and the additional information. I have no worries about scammers suing me, just wanted to be sure my own actions would be legit.

I took a quick look at the link your provided and my first impression is that since only SOME robocalls are illegal I would have to actually engage with them all to find the few that fit in that category....and I don’t think I want to spend the time to do that.

I guess I’m not irked enough to make it a part time job!

Last edited:
As fascinating these end-user solutions are, the best solutions are those which address the sources and enablers of these robocalls - the phone companies.

I recall watching on C-Span in the last few years some hearings about these robocallers and phone scammers. The phone companies have fairly easy ways to determine if there are many, many calls frequently originating from a single source (and a source not part of a legit exception, such as informational robocalls from local municipalities such as villages, counties, school districts; or medically based from doctor offices and pharmacies), making it evident that they are up to no good. The phone companies can and should shut them down.

Call number spoofing over the years has really juiced up the spamming because it can evade call-blocking programs. The phone companies, again, can stop this by preventing the caller from assigning a number to its call which differs from the actual number they are using. Yes, there are legit (and narrow) exceptions to this such as doctor's office which has multiple lines, and they want to have their main number appearing on the recipient's caller-ID; or from a battered women's shelter trying to conceal the presence of an estranged spouse. As long as the scammers can't obtain one of these exceptions, the number-spoofing can be prevented.

IMHO it's the source which should be used to put these spammers and scammers out of business.

Back
Top Bottom