Scott Burns leaving Dallas Morning News

Well, I do know that Scott and his brother had the winning bid on a J-30 sailboat being auctioned by the Maine Maritime Academy. Once they get it  back into shape, they plan to share the use of it... so maybe that counts as Working Less, Living More   :LOL:

Best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
Well, I do know that Scott and his brother had the winning bid on a J-30 sailboat being auctioned by the Maine Maritime Academy. Once they get it  back into shape, they plan to share the use of it... so maybe that counts as Working Less, Living More   :LOL:
Having been close to the sailboat life, I'd say they're working more and living less! Especially Dennis Connor's analogy of standing in a cold shower ripping up handsfuls of $20 bills... I'd much rather be Gilligan than the Skipper.

Nords said:
...  I'd much rather be Gilligan than the Skipper.
I would rather be the professor. The things that man could make out of two coconuts, a pile of sand, and a few sticks of bamboo are amazing. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I agree!  We have a friend like that.. We call him McDiver, because he does this very sophisticated dumpster diving hobby where he finds electronics, exercise equipment, TV's etc. in people's trash, and repairs them  with a chocolate bar and a razor blade. Works like brand new! Then he sells them on Craigslist, EBay or works out a trade.

Simply an amazing man... 8)

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Just as Nords reported above, Scott Burns' column today makes it official that he's left the DMN but isn't retiring.

He's lauched a website (oamnetwork.com) where it appears we can read his columns without registering, will cut back to two columns a week rather than three, is writing another book and is partnering in the development of "...a social computing engine that my new partners and I expect will create a new model for financial service and investment management."

No mention of whether or not he plans to take up Tae Kwan Do, build vacuum tube amps, buy a 36 foot boat, start full-timing in his Airstream, or do some surfing. But he does seem to like Texas...

REWahoo! said:
But he does seem to like Texas...

But he lives in New Mexico.

Their property tax is far lower than Texas' but New Mexico has a serious income tax.

2B said:
But he lives in New Mexico.

That's the way I took it too, that he must have quietly moved out of his Dallas house.

His column today in the DMN listed what newspapers he is now syndicated in, but they were all Texas papers. I assume he is also appearing in other papers still also, maybe the DMN article had a local-content portion to it.

I was paying his salary before, now I'm paying his syndication fees. Better stay on the straight and narrow, Scott!  :D

Nords, it is interesting to see that he specifically addresses the issue you often raise about people who give financial advice for retirement:

Similarly, it’s been a while since we needed a paycheck. Our house, cars, and Airstream trailer are owned free and clear. I am not saying this to brag: Had I been less than financially prepared for “retirement” you’d have good reason to wonder why you were reading my column.

Martha said:
Similarly, it’s been a while since we needed a paycheck. Our house, cars, and Airstream trailer are owned free and clear.  I am not saying this to brag: Had I been less than financially prepared for “retirement” you’d have good reason to wonder why you were reading my column.
I think he (or some other writer of his credibility like Bud Hebeler) could do a great job of addressing the retirees who would be more inclined to give it away if they didn't think they might need it all back for end-of-life care...

Back
Top Bottom