Selling some stocks

Bimmerbill

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have some stock I bought thru the employee stock purchase plan in 2000-2002 in LU.

Well, LU is now ALU. I never sold any of it, mostly because I don't really understand how to compute cost basis.

Do I need to dig up each statement where I bought the stock that shows each price per batch?

I am thinking I need to compare purchase price with the price the LU shares were bought at to be converted to ALU.

Then I would need to sell ALU and compare it to the initial price of ALU in the merger?

Is this logic sound? I'd need to find capital loss/gain from purchase to conversion to ALU, then capital gain from the beginning of ALU to when I sold it?

Not even sure how I would show the 15% discount I received on initial purchase.

All should be a loss since I bought during and thru most of the telecom crash...

This is all in a taxable account and not in a 401(k) or IRA or some other tax-deferred account, right? Because generally then the sales wouldn't be taxed as cap gains and the withdrawals would be taxed as income.

Bimmerbill said:
Do I need to dig up each statement where I bought the stock that shows each price per batch?
That's the most accurate way. It's possible that your company HR people or 401(k) provider may also have your purchase records. It should also reflect the employee discount by showing what you actually paid for it (85 cents/share instead of $1/share).

Bimmerbill said:
I am thinking I need to compare purchase price with the price the LU shares were bought at to be converted to ALU.
Then I would need to sell ALU and compare it to the initial price of ALU in the merger?
Is this logic sound? I'd need to find capital loss/gain from purchase to conversion to ALU, then capital gain from the beginning of ALU to when I sold it?
Yep.

Bimmerbill said:
All should be a loss since I bought during and thru most of the telecom crash...
In that case it's too bad you got the employee discount. But anyway it's working in your favor-- all the more reason to get an accurate number!

Back
Top Bottom