Several small fraudulent cc charges

Yep I saved the chat and each rep told me they could see the chat and what was said. The last rep told me I should contact Amazon and tell them to resubmit the bill...pardon me. I went on Amazon and switched the charges to a different charge card. Bothers me too that Amazon was told that I was "disputing" the charges.

Chat sessions are usually bots. Bots are dumb.

Chat sessions are usually bots. Bots are dumb.

Hmmm, I'll need to watch for that. Though as I recall, the chat sessions I have had, I had to wait and the responses were slow. I would think a bot would reply pretty quickly.

Though I recently had a conversation with a guy who had a career in sales and customer support, and he said he called into a support center (personal, not business), and he said it took him about five minutes to realize he was talking to a machine.

I guess the interesting thing there is, most of the more basic automated systems are pretty bad, so going from that to almost-human, just seems like a big gap, like the leapfrogged the middle steps?

-ERD50

I’ve never had an online chat session with someone who wasn’t obviously human.

You may be surprised.

It depends on the question. I've been obviously "kicked out" to a human on some of these.

Some of them are getting pretty scary.

Last edited:
You may be surprised.

It depends on the question. I've been obviously "kicked out" to a human on some of these.

Some of them are getting pretty scary.

I rarely chat. But the details in recent conversations were such that I sincerely doubt it was a bot. They weren't rote questions and near the end I did not get rote answers.

I tell you where I get robotic-style rote answers to my questions - that is calling customer service and talking to someone overseas with an obviously fake American accent and pretty hard to understand. They can never understand my actual question either, because they are too busy trying to match it to their script.

I had the same problem. Someone is testing your card to see if it's valid with small purchases before using it to run some much larger purchases. You need to cancel the card and get it replaced.

They hit my card for a 10 cent charge and rebate. I check my card every day and caught it the day it happened. Called the cc company and got a new card.

Not a bot. They respond to specific questions. AND I still haven't received my new card. When I contacted the "chat" people again they said that the date I was given for the card to arrive was a suggested date. Funny, didn't say suggested or approximate in the original chat. Even asked if I wanted it sooner than the date they gave me. After each chat session they ask you to rate the person that helped you. Should I have replied that the bot was satisfactory:confused:

The really smart fraudsters check to see what payments you make all the time, & then sneak in an extra one. My son got hit with a massive ($10K+) charge after he missed seeing one of those! He wasn't responsible, but it still pissed him off!

... Econ 101 says Price is a function of Supply and Demand. Note that Cost is not there.

Supply refers to the amount of product a business is willing to sell at a particular price point. The cost of producing that product is part of the supply determination, so cost is in there.

The really smart fraudsters check to see what payments you make all the time, & then sneak in an extra one. My son got hit with a massive ($10K+) charge after he missed seeing one of those! He wasn't responsible, but it still pissed him off!

And how are they doing this? They’ve hacked into your online account too?

And how are they doing this? They’ve hacked into your online account too?

My thoughts exactly.

Back
Top Bottom