Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negotiated to sell my company for its book value and release of a personal guarantees. I was told that I could run the company as I've always done for as long as I chose. After posting the companies 2nd best (29yrs)12 month performance ever, I was terminated unexpectedly for "running the company like I owned it". A thirty second phone call while I was on vacation last August. Got 6 months notice and one year severance. Unfortunately the sale required a 5 year non compete from sale date and moved into "dream home" - now a nightmare as my replacement lives across the street.
From the day before the sale until now I have been fortunate been fortunate enough to:

Increased my net worth 2.5 mm
Liquidity went from 30% to 70%
Have my son choose an in state college so his educational fund is more than enough (sister went out of state)
Found this site and firecalc

I'm pretty sure I'm good financially but that's always a worry. I just hopeful the regrets/anger over how I was terminated will subside soon.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats! Keep calm & keep on sailing. Worries & anger not worth your time. Another successful story of a millionaire next door.

After yesterday's market hit another nice round number: $1.1m in my 401k. Now let's see how fast it drops from that.:LOL:

That is awesome💸. I'm 25 days from RE. "Income" comes up $44 per mo less than working without touching 1.542m to draw down on. DH has 11mo & he'll join me. Life is good! 💃

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

crossed 1 million mark for financial asset yesterday after market close. about 400k equity in investment property so about 1.4m in total investable net worth. 35 yr old and DW is 2 years younger. hope to double net worth in 5 years and retire in 10 to 15 years. cheers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yesterday we down-sized our self-storage unit (we call it the mini-warehouse) from a ten by ten at $1350 per year to a five by seven at $588 per year. No longer can I tell my wife, "For what we're paying to store those Christmas ornaments, we could buy a whole new set every year."

We dropped three car-loads of stuff off at Goodwill. On the last trip, I went in to buy a couple of two-dollar T-shirts, and I saw someone was buying a chair that I had just dropped off five minutes before. So a definite win-win.

By the way, this is my 24th post. How many does it take to graduate from "Dryer Sheet Wannabe?"

Congrats Slow But Steady, storage is one of my biggest bet peeves. My brother works at a storage unit and he is always complaining about that the units can't possibly worth a fraction of what they are paying for it...other than a few people with expensive bikes and such, temporary move, but they are building yet 4 more buildings because people can't seem to stop buying stuff even when it doesn't fit in their house.

Glad you made so much progress, for so many its more emotional than financial...but it sure does feel good when others are using it and actually need it.

Helped kids pay off their college loans with some inheritance money. Great feeling to assist them in becoming debt free and a nice way to pass on some love and money from Grandparents.

Paid off mortgage last week. 55 YO, 750K investible, house value around 900K, owe 110K on a duplex worth around 200K. Hate boring corporate job...hate everything about it. Want to start handyman, lawn care, estate care company. Need kick in rump to do so.

Congrats on paying off the mortgage!

Thanks. Four years ago, I took out a ten year mortgage and vowed to pay it off in five years. I beat that by a year but it was really a struggle. It is such a relief. I really cant share this with friends. I feel like I am bragging. One friend I did tell thinks I got the money from my parents. Trust me, that didn't happen. This is the only place that I can share my small victory.

Thanks. Four years ago, I took out a ten year mortgage and vowed to pay it off in five years. I beat that by a year but it was really a struggle. It is such a relief. I really cant share this with friends. I feel like I am bragging. One friend I did tell thinks I got the money from my parents. Trust me, that didn't happen. This is the only place that I can share my small victory.

Congrats!!

We're a friendly bunch. You've just shared the victory with your online friends. I know it's not the same, but congratulations anyway.

........This is the only place that I can share my small victory.

That's not a small victory, paying off a 10 year mortgage that fast. Congrats!
I could see a handyman business if your good dealing with the public. This is a service that is more in demand with the aging of the population. Lawn care is too seasonal and competitive. Everybody with a lawn mower is in the business and then you need work for the winter months.

Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM ;)

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.

Just a brief, positive update to this one ...

Courtesy of some smart trading and a company sale proceeds windfall, we crossed over $6MM today.

Happy to be FIREd as of July 3, and although I know it will bump up and down around the number as we start to spend it, it's a big comfort to me and DW, for sure.

Ready To Take The Leap

Feel like this is Dave Ramsey's radio program to yell "I"m Debt Free!". Turning 60 next month. I will take a month off then go part time for a year. Paid off the new house, bought a new car with cash and completely debt free. Have $2.0mm in investments plus wife has $28k/yr pension. Will have two SS incomes. Have run every retirement calculator known to man. Will try and wait on my SS until 66 +2 mths but if we get a substantial market downturn I'll file early for it so portfolio can make it back over time.

I am very excited. I enjoy reading all the positive comments and how excited people are. Look forward to plowing through many of the forums. Spending my last weeks not thinking about work.

Bir48
I love Dave Ramsey that's why I am here baby step 6 investing close to la Casa being paid off 53 and debt free. Same wife with pension and saving my rear end off. Hope to have a value over 1.8 in next few years

Congrats. 😊. And enjoy your hard work

We're a friendly bunch. You've just shared the victory with your online friends. I know it's not the same, but congratulations anyway.

I agree, congrats. I understand the hard work to make that happen

Actually, looking back, hitting a net worth of zero was one of the happiest milestones of my life!

Oh yea, I remember having saved a whopping $400 and being so proud, ignoring my debt. Then I woke up! Thank god! I woke up and a major turn around in my finances and understanding. But always learning!

Final mortgage payment today, a great feeling to head towards retirement next year completely out of debt!

Final mortgage payment today, a great feeling to head towards retirement next year completely out of debt!

Congratulations! I dream of this day, but it'll be at least three more years for me. Assuming everything works out perfectly for the next 35 consecutive months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom