Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um... No. 0.35 to 0.37 per day. You'll have to post a LOT to make up for the many years of lurkerdom.

LOL.

Um... No. 0.35 to 0.37 per day. You'll have to post a LOT to make up for the many years of lurkerdom.

LOL.

I'm pretty sure that [-]not many people[/-] no one wants me to make up for the many years of lurkerdom (and that includes me).

My mortgage balance is now in the five digit region. It's a small, arbitrary milestone, but it's mine.

My mortgage balance is now in the five digit region. It's a small, arbitrary milestone, but it's mine.

DW & I hit the same milestone earlier this month - it definitely caught my eye when I looked at the balance. Congrats to y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Realized I just hit the 1 year retired mark.. more of a milestone because I still haven't felt the need to run back and get a JOB, even with the irksome stock market behavior this year.

That was a big deal for me, too. Especially since I live in the land of super expensive houses. Having it go under $100k was enough incentive to increase the excess payments we were making and get it paid off quickly. (Which also helped our retirement budget because we were diverting even more money from spending to saving/debt reduction... and didn't miss that money... so it lowered our spend budget.)

My last big milestone was the sale of my rental condo. When I got married in 2007 (also big milestone) the housing market was still down.
I retired in early 2009, and had it rented out. By 2015, the market had recovered enough for me to sell it.

As of market close today, I have breached the two comma club by all of $117.

The first, I'm sure, of many a trip back and forth across that boundary as bills get paid and the market fluctuates, but it still brings just a hint of a grin when I see the numbers on the spreadsheet.

And now, almost a year after the first time around, I've managed to top the two comma mark again.

It's disconcerting to continuously invest new money and have my account balances stay reasonably flat. Or drop, what with a heavy equity and international tilt to investments.

Since this is also the first set of downturns I've had to weather with a reasonable amount of money invested in the market, I am glad to see that I can still sleep well at night. I'm not sure if I'd be feeling the same way with 50% drops from market peaks instead of the moderate drops that have occurred. Or if I wasn't contributing new money, for that matter.

Yesterday marked our two year retirement anniversary. We have our health and the finances seem to be working out well. We feel blessed.

Nine months after hitting $400,000, we've crossed the $500,000 mark in net worth. Granted $20k of that is home value increasing, which doesn't mean much in our market since its pretty variable.

Investable assets aren't up appreciably, but we did pay off our mortgage during those 9 months, so we have more cash every month to invest :)

Here's to the next 9 months!

orangehairfella, Congrats! Hope the market today gave you a boost...and hope it sticks.

I ran my intended job-quitting date through a calculator online, just to come up with a number that is milestone-worthy. And here it is:

That's how many w*rk days I have left! :)

I ran my intended job-quitting date through a calculator online, just to come up with a number that is milestone-worthy. And here it is:

That's how many w*rk days I have left! :)

Hey what site was that

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Haven't kept up here for a while and passed a couple of milestones in our FIRE plan.

- Sold primary residence in July 2012.
- DW and I retired from jobs in August 2013, both at age 58.
- Relocated to previously purchased retirement home in August 2013.
- Paid off retirement home in October 2013.
- Surpassed $1M in invested assets for first time in October 2013.
- Rolled over 403b and 457 funds into IRAs in early 2014.
- Worked off 18# while landscaping property in 2014.
- Wearing 2" smaller pants now than I did my last five years of working.
- Haven't dropped under $1M invested for almost 2-1/2 yrs. now, even with weak 2015 second half and bad start to 2016 markets, so feeling pretty good about structure of portfolio.

We're having a lot of fun, enjoying retirement, traveling a bit and getting involved with a lot of other retirees in interesting hiking/walking/exploring/travel activities, started a small home hobby-business to play at, visiting daughter and grand-daughters as frequently as possible. Catching fish, photographing Eagles, Elk, Deer, Bison, Bobcats, Beaver, Muskrat and whatever else crosses our path in the great outdoors.
Looking forward to the future with much anticipation and very little worry or tension left in our lives.

Another milestone this year (2016), and not sure if it's good or bad.
- Had to start using a calendar for the first time since retiring in 2013, due to so many (good/fun) things to do!

Last edited:
Haven't kept up here for a while and passed a couple of milestones in our FIRE plan.

Another milestone this year (2016), and not sure if it's good or bad.
- Had to start using a calendar for the first time since retiring in 2013, due to so many (good/fun) things to do!

Wow. Those are some GREAT milestones, even though I deleted for space. :) You make OMY much less appealing!

Congratulations, and hope it continues.

And now, almost a year after the first time around, I've managed to top the two comma mark again.

It's disconcerting to continuously invest new money and have my account balances stay reasonably flat. Or drop, what with a heavy equity and international tilt to investments.

Since this is also the first set of downturns I've had to weather with a reasonable amount of money invested in the market, I am glad to see that I can still sleep well at night. I'm not sure if I'd be feeling the same way with 50% drops from market peaks instead of the moderate drops that have occurred. Or if I wasn't contributing new money, for that matter.

The good thing is the regular, continuous investment while the market slumps. That is how you get sale prices on stuff!

Due to regular reinvestment in 401k (and myself and my wife getting raises), rebalancing into stocks, as well as some investment luck in reallocating the portfolio before the '08 crash, our portfolio value recovered by August '09 from the prior peak in Nov. ''07.
In the dark days of '08, I thought it would take us 5-6 years to recover.
Stay the course.

The good thing is the regular, continuous investment while the market slumps. That is how you get sale prices on stuff!

Oh yeah, I FIREd a few weeks ago. So I have that goin' for me.

I opened a consulting business in October 2015. I made enough money to pay off 1 of my vehicles in January 2016. During that same time, I took $15K and started trading US oil and gas companies and gold. Specifically, MRO, WLL, AUY and ABX. Today, I sold most of my stocks for $32K. Next week, I will pay off my 2015 new truck. This will be my last bill, minus my two houses. 1 we live in, (big note), the other is a rental that pays for itself! So, I feel F.I.R.E at 40.... Now, I have to save up more money to play stocks again :)

DW and I are both suddenly experiencing FIRE milestones, and not the way we intended. She's battling the Big C at age 52 and I had an MRI last week as "just a precaution" related to some headaches I've been having. Well, holy buckets, at age 50 for me they found two small "signs of stroke". Both of us are otherwise in great health with long-lived families and I've never had any stroke symptoms, except headaches. Her treatments are apparently going 100% well, as far as anyone knows. Why am I telling strangers on the internet our health problems? Because this kind of news rattles you and makes you think about FIRE. It forces you to think about life and what you want out of it. We've been assuming I'd work until 59.5, at which time we could retire smoothly at current lifestyle levels with $3M, if projections work out, though it's never been clear that DW has any vision of ever stopping. Now, however, on a short, slow walk around the neighborhood last night feeling like old people, even DW said "Now tell me again when we can quit?". That's a first for her. I've mapped out a Plan B that would let us semi-retire in 5 years with about $2M, including buying into healthcare at her work, and suddenly that path is a lot more appealing. So our milestone is going from healthy horses to feeling mortal, way too suddenly.

DW and I are both suddenly experiencing FIRE milestones, and not the way we intended. She's battling the Big C at age 52 and I had an MRI last week as "just a precaution" related to some headaches I've been having. Well, holy buckets, at age 50 for me they found two small "signs of stroke". Both of us are otherwise in great health with long-lived families and I've never had any stroke symptoms, except headaches. Her treatments are apparently going 100% well, as far as anyone knows. Why am I telling strangers on the internet our health problems? Because this kind of news rattles you and makes you think about FIRE. It forces you to think about life and what you want out of it. We've been assuming I'd work until 59.5, at which time we could retire smoothly at current lifestyle levels with $3M, if projections work out, though it's never been clear that DW has any vision of ever stopping. Now, however, on a short, slow walk around the neighborhood last night feeling like old people, even DW said "Now tell me again when we can quit?". That's a first for her. I've mapped out a Plan B that would let us semi-retire in 5 years with about $2M, including buying into healthcare at her work, and suddenly that path is a lot more appealing. So our milestone is going from healthy horses to feeling mortal, way too suddenly.

My best to you and your DW. I think tales like this are very valuable for those of us stuck in OMY land. Thank you so much for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom