Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations! That is an extremely impressive milestone, especially for your age!!! :bow:

Thanks simple girl and 2017ish. My DW and I can't talk about our FI/RE goals and progress with friends or family because it's awkward (all my friends are very successful but spend to their means whereas we're more frugal - but not cheap). So I'm glad to share with you all! :blush:

Just downsized to one car after selling the house in July. Still have more stuff to get rid of though.

Happy to report that:

1) My one DD has graduated from college (debt free) and started a full time job with benefits. She is living on her own, paying all her bills and I am removing her my benefits package for a $300 a month savings to me!

2) Although I won’t RE until Jan 2018, I have 10 weeks’ vacation to take so my last day in the office will be mid October 2017. Since I will give 60 days notice to my boss to replace me, that means I will be giving notice in mid August 2017 - exactly 1 year from now (yeah!)

3) 401K has reached $1.1M for the first time. Combined with my megacorp pension of $68K per year, retirement medical benefits from my company and other IRA and after tax savings of about $300K, I have reached the minimum retirement income I had always planned on for retirement.

The combination of these 3 milestones has me feeling very much FI and working another year will give me the margin I need to sleep well at night after I hang it up. I’ll be 57 and DW will be 60.

I am on the glide path and enjoying it!

Crunched the numbers on Aug 1...$690k net worth. Im 33, DW is 32. We currently have no debt. Will a million ever get here!?

Crunched the numbers on Aug 1...$690k net worth. Im 33, DW is 32. We currently have no debt. Will a million ever get here!?
It will, faster than you think. Impressive NW for your age, keep up the good work.

DH and I have been working as engineers for the past 19 years. Over the past two months we have put more money into our retirement savings* than either of our gross salaries in our first year out of school.

IOW, say we were each making $45K gross the first year, we just put in $46K in 2 months.

Damn. That's a lot of scratch. :cool:

*Due to his bonus, and unexpected bonus for me, and a triple-paycheck month

Hi Big Bob
By chance are you retired Military? I ask because I knew someone with that handle lol.
I am 56 and only at about 650K but I do have my 3700.00 monthly mil pension and well price health care so I way I see it I will have a good 3M at age 62. Have a nice day all

Hi Big Bob
By chance are you retired Military?
No, not retired Military; IT software development (and it has been getting more and more militaristic lately!) 1 week and 2 days till retirement for me!!
-- Not waiting any longer and getting excited. :dance::dance:

My TSP (401K) which I left at about 80K in 2013 just went over 100K today. I had to stop contributing upon retirment (from the USMC).

A few online sites are telling me my old house in SoCal (rented out) has over 170K equity.

DD (last kid) is starting her senior year at Univ of Delaware.

All is well.

Net worth just hit 1.75 mil (including home equity). FI can't get here soon enough.

After 15 long years, I just paid off my college student loans from my undergraduate degree! This is more exciting than hitting a recent net worth of $365K ($1,450K w/S.O.). A huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Debt sucks (the life out of you).

After 15 long years, I just paid off my college student loans from my undergraduate degree! This is more exciting than hitting a recent net worth of $365K ($1,450K w/S.O.). A huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Debt sucks (the life out of you).

Excellent milestone. In addition to the psychological benefit, you now have the extra cash flow to save more on the asset side of the NW statement.

Congrats!

99 days and counting

Dipped down into the double digit countdown today. :dance: ER date is Dec. 1. I was fortunate to get an offer to sign up for ER and work 1/2 time for 6 months while getting paid for full time, plus the full year bonus. With 1/2 time status, vacation, holidays and so forth, it's only 25-1/2 actual days in the office, and only 18-1/2 equivalent full time days!

A few recent milestones. The house of over 25 years is on the market after a few months of fixing a few things and sprucing it up. We've already moved about 80% of our belongings to the retirement house, which has been our up north Michigan lake house for a few years now.

I'll be cleaning out my office this week, in preparation for the new guy coming the following week. For the remaining time I will telecommute unless I need to physically be in the office, and will just find a space to squat for the day. I should be able to transfer the remaining employees to their new supervisor by then as well, so the work will primarily be knowledge transfer and helping the new boss make some organizational changes.

This week I'll transfer some in-service funds from my 401K into a Fidelity account to be managed by a fiduciary FA as a test drive. I'm still not convinced that their services are worth 1%, but it is my nature to try something I'm not sure about and find out for real (as long as the risk is low enough LoL!). I will also start the formal final paperwork for our DB, still about 95% sure we'll do lump sum due to our health situation and low expectations of longevity.

Since we still have the family house until it sells and I commute 3-1/2 hours there and back each week, we've tested the ER budget to some extent, but some of that is paper based to account for that mortgage and travel.

We've been working on the house and moving a little each week, so I'm not really feeling semi retired yet. Well, except that the other weekend it was too windy to be out on lake Huron, but it was great on Monday so I went out fishing. :D No longer am I strictly tied to the weekend weather, I can begin to do things as nature allows!

Closed on selling one of my older commercial properties which included one of my coffee shops and two rentals.I included a 10 year lease to keep that coffee location open at a great rate.I have been way too heavily invested in real estate as I own all 4 of my retail properties. This was a poor location that I bought for a steal back in 2008 when commercial real estate in my area crashed. It has rebounded very nicely and will help greatly to balance my portfolio.

Closed on selling one of my older commercial properties which included one of my coffee shops and two rentals.I included a 10 year lease to keep that coffee location open at a great rate.I have been way too heavily invested in real estate as I own all 4 of my retail properties. This was a poor location that I bought for a steal back in 2008 when commercial real estate in my area crashed. It has rebounded very nicely and will help greatly to balance my portfolio.

Do you plan on doing a 1031 exchange? I would like to sell some of mine but i am afraid of the tax bite?

No, I am making a very large payment to Uncle Sam this year, but the increase was sizable and I really was way over invested in my Commercial properties. Trying to slowly downsize.

Mortgage paid off!!

:dance: Just excited to share that I paid my last check to the mortgage company this past week. I know we see a ton of people that make this same post, but I think we are all excited when we get to. 38 years old and a huge chunk of debt removed. I'm sure there was plenty of investment opportunity lost, but now pretty much all of my money can go into college funds and retirement (and taxes :mad:). Had been putting over 100k in the past few years. No more! Pretty psyched. Cheers! :cool:

:dance: Just excited to share that I paid my last check to the mortgage company this past week. I know we see a ton of people that make this same post, but I think we are all excited when we get to. 38 years old and a huge chunk of debt removed. I'm sure there was plenty of investment opportunity lost, but now pretty much all of my money can go into college funds and retirement (and taxes :mad:). Had been putting over 100k in the past few years. No more! Pretty psyched. Cheers! :cool:
congrats, gotta be a load off your mind

Hit $950k net worth. I suppose that's a milestone, because it's just another $50k to $1 mil. :).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Hit $950k net worth. I suppose that's a milestone, because it's just another $50k to $1 mil. :).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Lol, I can understand being excited about the upcoming milestone!

Good for you! Yes, it does feel good - :)

And when you send that mortgage payment to your investments instead of your lender you really start stacking dough!

We finally did it!!! We FINALLY hit 7 figures on my 45th bday!!! It feels great. Also, I have secured my military retirement and am currently at 21.5 years, which I calculate to be worth over 2M. Once we make our charitable contribution for this year we'll dip back below 7 figures, and I'm sure that'll we'll cross that line many times back and forth in the future. Thank you all for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom