Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That commute ought to cure any OMY issues!

I have the luxury that mega corp allows me to work remote 4 weeks every quarter. That makes one trip this year and 4 trips next year. Still, I concur that will absolutely cure my OMY issue.

We decided on a date (April 2017) for me to leave the tech sector and join DW in our small business. Told the kids (youngest of which will graduate college in June 2017) - so it's getting real!

New to the forum and wanted to contribute. Just hit 750k net worth. A million feels so close!

Accepted the better of two offers on our home. Assuming everything goes smoothly, we will close in mid January and rent back until the twins graduate HS in June. We now have 7 months to sell or donate what we won't need in our new situation - small cottage on Vermont lake during the summer, and winter place in southern utah.

Accepted the better of two offers on our home. Assuming everything goes smoothly, we will close in mid January and rent back until the twins graduate HS in June. We now have 7 months to sell or donate what we won't need in our new situation - small cottage on Vermont lake during the summer, and winter place in southern utah.

Nice combo of seasonal pilgrimages. VT is wonderful. Checking out Utah is on the bucket list. Hope the closing works out.

6 months to go from $550k net worth to $650k. Home value made up $10k of that. The recent market run up obviously contributed quite a bit too.

Can't stop working...

:blush: 52 yo here and I don't think I have enough to retire. Perhaps a little of the thinking is due to not believing some of the calculators. Perhaps some is that I like my job and still have a child in High School (last of three). Kiddo will be off to college in Fall of 2018. So I'm fairly certain Fall of 2019 will be the last working season...

DW and I have 2,250,000 in liquid / investments (some of which is 529 for college - we've paid most college expenses, they all work for some and they all will graduate debt free). We have 1,250,000 in paid for home. I'll get 1,500,000 - 2,000,000 over five years when I leave my business. Home in retirement will likely be cut in half and we'll plan to rent on AirBnb for big family holidays etc.

Currently making 250,000 and saving 74k per year. Don't believe I've saved aggressively enough. Certainly not like some of the champions out here. Do have a simple lifestyle planned in retirement - with travel and charity in the plans.

Age 32
DW 31
We just crossed $300K NW milestone (excluding primary residence). :dance:
Hope to hit $400K by age 35
Hope to hit $500K by age 37
Hope to hit $1M by 42.
$2M by 50? I'll keep dreaming and keep socking away like a machine.

(all NW figures exclude primary residence)

Age 32
DW 31
Hope to hit $1M by 42.

You're doing it right. Keep it up......

Adding money in all our accounts, including retirement accounts, checking, savings, emergency, HSA, etc., we reached the $2.0M milestone today. I did not expect to reach this milestone until the middle of 2017.

This is the amount, according to the 4% rule and our expenses tracking, that we should have for a comfortable level of financial independence or retirement. So, for the first time in my life, I bought some bond funds seriously, increasing my cash/bond part to about 20% of our total portfolio. We plan to move slowly to 75/25 asset allocation.

Age 32
DW 31
Hope to hit $1M by 42.

Seems like you're on the right track. One of the key factors in knowing if you're reaching FI is to understand your how your expenses compare to your savings/investments. Here's a chart of ratios comparing savings to income, income to expenses and savings to expenses from another couple I know:cool:. YMMV

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 413
Today is my 12 year work anniversary at megacorp. (No emails or anything from anyone acknowledging it of course, which is perfectly okay with me.) Tomorrow I reach the 'rule of 70' and can officially retire from megacorp. Unfortunately, the only thing this gets me is a $100/mth pension. Currently tracking to a 6/1/2017 ER date.

Today is my 12 year work anniversary at megacorp. (No emails or anything from anyone acknowledging it of course, which is perfectly okay with me.) Tomorrow I reach the 'rule of 70' and can officially retire from megacorp. Unfortunately, the only thing this gets me is a $100/mth pension. Currently tracking to a 6/1/2017 ER date.
I had over 26 years in when I quit my job and my pension was only worth $1200 a month. I can't get to it until age 58. Meanwhile inflation eats away at it. I just consider it icing on the cake at this point. Very few jobs even have a pension nowadays and it becomes fewer each year.

I had over 26 years in when I quit my job and my pension was only worth $1200 a month. I can't get to it until age 58. Meanwhile inflation eats away at it. I just consider it icing on the cake at this point. Very few jobs even have a pension nowadays and it becomes fewer each year.

This makes my potential $181/month pension look good...until I remind myself that's tomorrows dollars, 20yrs from now. If I can hold out until 65 30 years from now its worth $
432/month. Wouldn't even cover the taxes on my home today and probably why I wouldnt even bother figuring it into my FIRECALC.

All a pension does these days is make it a little tougher to compute your final salary. For instance, if I wanted to go find a better job, with my bonus and pension that would be like another 30k/yr raise. Nobody is paying that in my industry right now unless I move to a high COL.

At least I know how much my pension-cuffs are worth... :cool:

Seems like you're on the right track. One of the key factors in knowing if you're reaching FI is to understand your how your expenses compare to your savings/investments. Here's a chart of ratios comparing savings to income, income to expenses and savings to expenses from another couple I know:cool:. YMMV

3yrs ahead of me. Literally when you turn 42 I will be turning 45 and hitting my first million of investable assets.

Today I am FIREd!

Today I am FIREd! Finished moving from our home of 27 years into the lake house last month, which is now our retirement home. Closed on the sale of that house 2 weeks ago. And yesterday was my last day of w*rk! :dance: I've been fortunate enough to have gone through a phased retirement, where I w*rked 1/2 time for full time pay as a knowledge transfer mechanism. When people asked yesterday if I would miss it, I simply stated that at least for the foreseeable future, I'm already so busy with my new life that I don't have time to miss it! ;)

Some credit for being able to ER goes to the great folks on this forum, where I learned enough to pull the trigger years earlier than initially planned. Thanks all! :D

Today I am FIREd! Finished moving from our home of 27 years into the lake house last month, which is now our retirement home. Closed on the sale of that house 2 weeks ago. And yesterday was my last day of w*rk! :dance: I've been fortunate enough to have gone through a phased retirement, where I w*rked 1/2 time for full time pay as a knowledge transfer mechanism. When people asked yesterday if I would miss it, I simply stated that at least for the foreseeable future, I'm already so busy with my new life that I don't have time to miss it! ;)

Some credit for being able to ER goes to the great folks on this forum, where I learned enough to pull the trigger years earlier than initially planned. Thanks all! :D

Congrats Fishndad42. We are about 6 months behind you on the move to our lake house (well cottage really). Enjoy your new home and retirement.

Congratulations!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Congrats :D

Was hoping to hit a million at 40, however just did it a few months past my 41st birthday last month. This excludes paid off home of about $400K. Now 10 years ago when i started on this journey i figured i'd be getting close at around 1.1 or 1.2 Million, however I believe I will need to be around 2Mil to pull the plug. Hopefully around 48,49 years old i can do that.

Was hoping to hit a million at 40, however just did it a few months past my 41st birthday last month. This excludes paid off home of about $400K. Now 10 years ago when i started on this journey i figured i'd be getting close at around 1.1 or 1.2 Million, however I believe I will need to be around 2Mil to pull the plug. Hopefully around 48,49 years old i can do that.
Just like you, I just hit a million in liquid assets at 41. $860k invested and $180k in cash. Hit a million in net worth last year. Plan to use the cash to buy income properties to hopefully accelerate FIRE.

Six months after reaching a million , net worth passes 1.1 million. considering adding one additional work year to the plan due to loss of Affordable Care Act subsidies expected, unless the market continues to cooperate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom