Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I passed all necessary AND sufficient conditions to pull the plug this year:

3.3M (3.309M as of yesterday)
Retirement house paid off (Need to net 290K from current house and about to go on market for 340K)
35 years SS at max

Now if I could just stop booking expensive vacations; have about $130K in payments due for vacations through 01/19 (around 80K already paid/deposited on top of that). Hope to make a great dent in that by retirement on 20 October 2017, just shy of my 60th birthday.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Wow- congrats to you. Sounds like the trip(s) of a lifetime- enjoy them!

We added another 0 to our NW yesterday. Last day in the office is May 5, booked a baja offroad racing school and a corvette track day over the first 2 weeks of retirement. Then a fun summer vacationing with my family.

Awesome! I might have to add those 2 driving adventures to my FIRE bucket list.

We just hit half of our targeted investments for pulling the rip cord last month. My planned retirement is late 2027. It won't be that early by this board's standards, but given the late start we had and our desire to have a budget higher than most, I am happy with it.

There is certainly a chance we could double our assets in less than ten years. We have three more years of college for our twins to take care of and then our savings rate should really kick to an extreme level.

I've always wondered if I am unusual, because I have multiple retirement dates in mind. I am retiring late 2027 unless a major catastrophe in the market hits from which we have not seen substantial recovery. However, if we hit our number, I would like to retire no matter what age I am. Finally, after almost twenty years with my current employer if something were to happen any time after my kids finish college I would likely not bother to get another job and just do temporary work from time to time or live on what we have and adjust spending expectations. Am I the only one that has multiple dates/alternatives like this in mind?

We added another 0 to our NW yesterday. Last day in the office is May 5, booked a baja offroad racing school and a corvette track day over the first 2 weeks of retirement. Then a fun summer vacationing with my family.

Tell a bit more about the Baja racing school!!
Sounds like a great gift to yourself.

So you added another zero and now $10MM net worth ? If so, WOW!

Tell a bit more about the Baja racing school!!
Sounds like a great gift to yourself.

Ford puts on a free Baja school in Utah for Raptor owners. I am going with one of my buddies. It will be a blast learning the capabilities of the new Raptor, versus hammering your own.

So you added another zero and now $10MM net worth ? If so, WOW!

It was a goal that I set many years ago and one of the reasons I had a couple bouts with OMY. I enjoy my company, boss and the team we built. We had a ton of strategic projects lining up and I wanted there to be a smooth transition. It was a gamble to give such a long notice, but I am glad I did. I feel like I am retiring at the top of my game and on my terms. They are finalizing the communication plan and I expect them to go public in early March. In the meantime, I will continue to work my tail off. I have been very fortunate in my career and very focused on saving/investing for an early retirement. It's pretty cool to see your plans come together.

We just hit half of our targeted investments for pulling the rip cord last month. My planned retirement is late 2027. It won't be that early by this board's standards, but given the late start we had and our desire to have a budget higher than most, I am happy with it.

There is certainly a chance we could double our assets in less than ten years. We have three more years of college for our twins to take care of and then our savings rate should really kick to an extreme level.

I've always wondered if I am unusual, because I have multiple retirement dates in mind. I am retiring late 2027 unless a major catastrophe in the market hits from which we have not seen substantial recovery. However, if we hit our number, I would like to retire no matter what age I am. Finally, after almost twenty years with my current employer if something were to happen any time after my kids finish college I would likely not bother to get another job and just do temporary work from time to time or live on what we have and adjust spending expectations. Am I the only one that has multiple dates/alternatives like this in mind?

2024 is my planned retirement year assuming I don't manage to save more than planned and the markets don't perform better than I have planned for. This is what my budget and growth assumptions are planned for.

~2022 is my "I hope to be able to save enough/have enough growth" to be able to retire here. This is the "I put my overtime money to work in my investments" and/or "the market does quite well" plan. The 2022 is a goal that I'd be happy to beat though :)

2031 is my "wow, I can't believe I quit my job and switched to a lower paying career so I couldn't save as much, but at least I got rid of all the stress/headaches from my career and had more free-time while I was still working" plan. With current savings combined with my VA pay, this would be the earliest I could retire if I had to stop putting away most of what I save now and the markets had any reasonable rate of return between now and then

So you're not the only one with multiple "exit the workforce" plans.

Just started receiving the most pitiful pension on this board: $500/mo, non-cola! Luckily we've socked away 2.5M with house at 1.0M. And max allowed SS at 70. I'm 60, DW is 64. FIRE is about to be kindled. (I'm anxious)

No milestone per se to post about, but just feeling good about how fast my NW is increasing due to the market gains (and dividends) lately.

$409k age 27. Currently saving about $15k per year. It is truly amazing how much the compounding can take off when the market is hot. My conservative estimates don't have me being in the 2 comma ($1m) club (in today's dollars) until age 40 but I am hoping it is more like 35!

Breakdown:

Taxable Brokerage: $216k
Roth IRA: $83k
Roth 401k: $37k
Cash Savings: $27k
HSA: $6k
Home Equity: $40k (conservative)

No milestone per se to post about, but just feeling good about how fast my NW is increasing due to the market gains (and dividends) lately.

$409k age 27. Currently saving about $15k per year. It is truly amazing how much the compounding can take off when the market is hot. My conservative estimates don't have me being in the 2 comma ($1m) club (in today's dollars) until age 40 but I am hoping it is more like 35!

Breakdown:

Taxable Brokerage: $216k

Roth IRA: $83k

Roth 401k: $37k

Cash Savings: $27k

HSA: $6k

Home Equity: $40k (conservative)

Outstanding @ your age!

Surprised by the heavy weighting in taxable.

Recently climbed to over $2.75M (not including home). On schedule to reach $3M by September. I can't believe it. :dance:

Just turned 50 last month. Looking to FIRE by 55. :cool:

Last edited:
Just crossed 2.5 M including house worth @ 400,000. It sure is nice to have a long stretch of good momentum.

Nominal portfolio value at a record high, despite having no j*b income for over 3 years.

Share your FIRE Milestones

Today was the first day my assets value (not including equity) went over $1,000,000. I never thought this would occur for me, especially having been retired for two years. I'm a bit awed and grateful for this milestone.

Last edited:
I might be ahead of schedule for hitting $1mil, did my monthly checkup and I'm at $913.5k. Now looks like I COULD hit the mark in the summer, more than a year earlier than my projection 4 years ago. Of course the market might have other plans...

I turn 35 in May and first kid is going be coming out the oven soon, things are going to get interesting :)

That's a great start, you must have been socking away more than 15k a year initially to get such a good start?

FWIW, I was around 200k at 27, and I'm a few months away from 35 now and at $913k, if you come close to keeping pace with what you've done to date you'll hit $1mil well before 40.

I have less than one year on my countdown calendar, and a month ago we hit two million in liquid assets- which puts us at a 3% w/d rate. So I could quit now really, but I said I'd work till Feb of 18, and I think I will.

Yesterday we got an unpleasant (to me) corporate announcement. I came home and kissed my husband in gratitude. We would not be in this situation if it were not for him. Its a lovely feeling to know I can walk out the door whenever I want to, and that I WILL walk out for the last time in less than a year.

Just started receiving the most pitiful pension on this board: $500/mo, non-cola! Luckily we've socked away 2.5M with house at 1.0M. And max allowed SS at 70. I'm 60, DW is 64. FIRE is about to be kindled. (I'm anxious)

Most pitiful? Not by a long shot :)

It is easy to get a slightly skewed version of reality because so many on this forum have some sort of pension (maybe there has been a poll taken on this? If so I'd be interested). But for the vast majority of us in the private sector, $500/mo is exactly $500/mo more than we will be getting. I agree it isn't enough to live on - just pointing out you have lots of company!

Nominal portfolio value at a record high.

+1. ~5 weeks to RE. This has been a great time for the market to be in rally mode and to pad the NW prior to pulling the plug on w**k. It has been quite hectic on the job YTD with major issues flaring up at customers, and as the senior person in my group I am the go to guy for covering short manpower and putting out fires. I am so ready to be out of here.

I think the primary flaw in that poll was that it didn't ask if the pension really mattered. My dad has 1 pension, it's less than $150/month. It moved the discretionary spending allowance a smidge...

A better question might be "do you have a pension that has any significant impact on your retirement budget?" to see what pensions "really matter" financially.

I think the primary flaw in that poll was that it didn't ask if the pension really mattered. My dad has 1 pension, it's less than $150/month. It moved the discretionary spending allowance a smidge...

A better question might be "do you have a pension that has any significant impact on your retirement budget?" to see what pensions "really matter" financially.

Thanks exnavynuke. I haven't run a poll before so I thought I'd try it based on your suggestion. http://www.early-retirement.org/for...n-factor-into-your-fire-plans-poll-85562.html

I have *TWO* pensions... neither is COLAd. Add them together and it's under $500/month. I ran the calculators without them... but it's enough to cover all the utilities (including telephone/internet/cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom