Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of us were awfully squirmy while transporting it for redeposit into an IRA. "Don't lose it. Don't spill anything on it. Don't get fingerprints or dog hair on it!" :blush:

I can understand. That's how DW and I felt when we got a check from selling the old (paid for) house and had not yet settled on the new one. We went directly from the settlement office to the credit union to deposit it.

Total NW has increased by ~$700K since the last time I posted in this thread (back in 2013, wow). Our total assets are 10.6% ahead of my modeling since I started developing said model, so things are progressing slightly better than what I desire for our investments...so I'm happy.

Last edited:
In the last week or two, I hit the $900k mark in non-retirement investments. I first hit the $800k mark about 4 years ago, but could never rise above $860k, even falling below $800k briefly last year. Recent market upturns got me over $900k even though my AA is 62/38 in favor of bonds and I did a small rebalancing (3%) into bonds at the start of the year.

A milestone. Got the word from my financial adviser that I was in good shape to retire in a year. I had been thinking, maybe two. But, just one year! With lots of vacation days to use up! And peace of mind! How fast, I wonder, will I shed the anxiety? So many things to do. Not as well off as most here, but, on the other hand, will probably be living on more money in retirement than I am now! LBYM, and save money. Thanks, Mom, hope you know that I followed your advice!

My 457 plan just crossed the $500k mark today after ending within $1,000 10 times in the past month. And my GF's TSP just crossed $900k. She's got 20 months until she can retire. Me, I have another 6 years :(

24 Years ER; New Same-Sex Marriage; IRA Changes

Now 77, I have been retired happily since I was 53. I was (technically) single all my life until I married early this year here in Nevada. This marriage is joyful for us both though fraught to some extent because same-sex marriage became legal only recently. I'll happily hear your good wishes too if you care to express them. I designated my new spouse the sole heir of my IRA. Since he is much younger than I am, my IRA MRD's (minimum required distributions) have their basis in our joint life expectancy; the MRD's are much lower than when I was single, saving me current income tax. Further, as a result of marrying, my estimate of estate tax dropped from six figures to zero; I have bequeathed most of my retirement assets to my spouse. I regret only that, given the great difference in our remaining life expectancies, he is likely to have a long widowhood after I die. I recommend that he remarry then. At least I know (with high confidence in him and the American stock market index funds and the houses I'm leaving him) that he won't be hungry or homeless without me.

Last edited:
Just a short note to celebrate the fact that my retirement savings reached the two comma club for the first time. Life is good.

Just a short note to celebrate the fact that my retirement savings reached the two comma club for the first time. Life is good.

Congrats! I can't wait for that day, assuming it comes. I've been waiting for the past couple of weeks to hit $500K between my 401K, Roth, and HSA. I may have hit it today but I won't know until after midnight.

Now 77, I have been retired happily since I was 53. I was (technically) single all my life until I married early this year here in Nevada. This marriage is joyful for us both though fraught to some extent because same-sex marriage became legal only recently. I'll happily hear your good wishes too if you care to express them. <snip>

Congratulations on your marriage! :dance::dance::dance:

Now 77, I have been retired happily since I was 53. I was (technically) single all my life until I married early this year here in Nevada. This marriage is joyful for us both though fraught to some extent because same-sex marriage became legal only recently. I'll happily hear your good wishes too if you care to express them. I designated my new spouse the sole heir of my IRA. Since he is much younger than I am, my IRA MRD's (minimum required distributions) have their basis in our joint life expectancy; the MRD's are much lower than when I was single, saving me current income tax. Further, as a result of marrying, my estimate of estate tax dropped from six figures to zero; I have bequeathed most of my retirement assets to my spouse. I regret only that, given the great difference in our remaining life expectancies, he is likely to have a long widowhood after I die. I recommend that he remarry then. At least I know (with high confidence in him and the American stock market index funds and the houses I'm leaving him) that he won't be hungry or homeless without me.

*Slow clap* That is friggin awesome.

I got stupid lucky and fell into a windfall so my NW jumped to about $150k now. It may be short lived since I'll probably be putting all of the new money toward a house, but it feels nice right now!

Congrats! I can't wait for that day, assuming it comes. I've been waiting for the past couple of weeks to hit $500K between my 401K, Roth, and HSA. I may have hit it today but I won't know until after midnight.

I finally hit $500K today. I hope it doubles in the next 6 years...or sooner.

I haven't posted here in a long time but I have to tell someone(besides the wife), right?

Debt free a few months ago and feels pretty sweet. Might even hit a 7 figure portfolio next year.

Owe lots of thanks to the regulars on here!

What will we spend all our cash flow on now? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom