Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We crossed a couple of significant milestones this morning: liquid assets crept up over $1.6M, and total net worth juuuuuust north of $2.5M. We have a stock-heavy portfolio, and the run up in the market over the last couple of years has been huge. I still have 10-12 years to go, but it’s nice to see the numbers going up!

Excellent!! :dance:

Just got back from helping DD move to start her PhD program. Bank of dad is officially closed. (Yeah, I know, that’s theoretical).

I started tracking my spending last August. Then started looking at ways to cut spending. Sold the expensive cars last fall and replaced them with cheaper cars. Sold the big, high property tax and insurance house in the spring of this year and moved into a much smaller and efficient one. Cut the cord on cable. Got rid of excess features on cell phone plan. Increased deductibles on auto insurance and dropped to liability only for the cars (replacement value is pretty low). So, after 11 months, the monthly bills and expenses are down from $5,000+ to $3,000 and some change. It's like I got a $24,000 raise, tax free!

Funny this post came up today. Three years to the day of ER. Life is good and the portfolio is 26% higher than three years ago even after living expenses. Let the good times roll!:dance:

Not directly a financial milestone but a big one nonetheless.

Our eldest son is moving the DC area to start his first post college job for a cyber security startup company.

I started tracking my spending last August. Then started looking at ways to cut spending. Sold the expensive cars last fall and replaced them with cheaper cars. Sold the big, high property tax and insurance house in the spring of this year and moved into a much smaller and efficient one. Cut the cord on cable. Got rid of excess features on cell phone plan. Increased deductibles on auto insurance and dropped to liability only for the cars (replacement value is pretty low). So, after 11 months, the monthly bills and expenses are down from $5,000+ to $3,000 and some change. It's like I got a $24,000 raise, tax free!

Well done!

I think you started with expenses of ~$7k/mo about a year ago, which makes this all the more impressive. Would like to see a summary of how you’ve essentially cut your expenses in half; it would be useful to the FIRE community. Do you feel deprived/miss anything? Any regrets?

After 26 months into retirement my portfolio is 23% more then when I retired. This is after all expenses from 26 months of living off of my portfolio. I would never have guessed that would be the case.

My wife and I just cracked $2 million combined retirement/non-retirement savings. $850K non-retirement and $1.15M retirement. We're around $3M net worth including house, life insurance, etc.

That is ridiculously Awesome!!!!! Wish I could convince SO to cut out expenses and downsize....

All, thanks for your inspiration. Gave HR my 6 month notice today. Freedom on the horizon!

Had $780K liquid assets end of Dec. 2017. Now Aug. 2018 - have $860K in liquid assets .. ontrack to hitting $900K+ in liquid assets by year end 2018. Looking to FIRE in 3 years with zero debt and above $1 million in liquid assets, here in the low cost southern state. No kids and no plans to leave anything to anyone when I croak.

Had $780K liquid assets end of Dec. 2017. Now Aug. 2018 - have $860K in liquid assets .. ontrack to hitting $900K+ in liquid assets by year end 2018. Looking to FIRE in 3 years with zero debt and above $1 million in liquid assets, here in the low cost southern state. No kids and no plans to leave anything to anyone when I croak.
I am right there with you...Have 890k as of August 10, look to have 1-M by Aug 2019. Plan on quitting Feb 01, 2020 @age 59.5��

I am right there with you...Have 890k as of August 10, look to have 1-M by Aug 2019. Plan on quitting Feb 01, 2020 @age 59.5��

Looking good !:dance: I'm 54.5 and looking at 57.5 yrs age to retire, but I think I can also make it by 57 if the market continues to do even just an average of 7% - 8%

Looking good !:dance: I'm 54.5 and looking at 57.5 yrs age to retire, but I think I can also make it by 57 if the market continues to do even just an average of 7% - 8%

Fidelity just opened a 0 minimum, no fee total market index (FZROX). It will be managed by the same company that manages FSTMX (Fidelity® Total Market Index Fund Investor Class) which pulls 3 Yrs - 12.12%, 5 Yrs, +12.71%, 10 Yrs - +10.67%. Not sexy or exiting but it will get the job done.

I am 58, have 1.4 m. Cash. 1.5 M in Commerical property value and 350,000 in my residence and 100,000 in rental and 150,000 in lake property. . Will wait until I’m 62 to FIRE.

1 small step for this man

Household networth crossed that first arbitrary multi-comma value. 87% in liquid assets. Celebrating with sloppy joes, tator tots, and boxed wine. Shooting for FIRE at 2030 at 45

Household networth crossed that first arbitrary multi-comma value. 87% in liquid assets. Celebrating with sloppy joes, tator tots, and boxed wine. Shooting for FIRE at 2030 at 45

Sounds like a true LBYM person. :D

Fidelity just opened a 0 minimum, no fee total market index (FZROX). It will be managed by the same company that manages FSTMX (Fidelity® Total Market Index Fund Investor Class) which pulls 3 Yrs - 12.12%, 5 Yrs, +12.71%, 10 Yrs - +10.67%. Not sexy or exiting but it will get the job done.

Thanks, I'm transferring assets from another brokerage account to Fidelity.

An Escapee

Not me, but a friend of mine in their late 30s gave notice at megacorp. Going to spend their days in nature and figure out their next move. Whatever that move is, it can be anything (or nothing), this person is all set from LBYM and tucking away most everything in savings. I'm very envious but also happy for them!

Signed up for SS Survivor Benefits today. Went well on the phone, had to go to the local office to show them my marriage certificate. Could have mailed in but wanted to get everything complete and verified. Hour wait and a 2 minute meet with a nice federal clerk.

Hit $4.3M NW, no debt. Looking FIRE in 2-5years. Got to put kids to college and fulfill my duty before pulling the plug.

-Became debt-free three years ago (school, car).
-Gave up "trading" three months ago.

-Just signed up to this forum today, keeping myself accountable to follow an investment strategy that will get me to retire early.

Starting the journey in earnest today, at nearly 28 y.o.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom