Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, we are 58 and would love to do the same. Afraid to close a 133 old family business and sell properties. Also our health care premiums are 22,000 yr. we are not sure that after selling properties we would have enough at 2 million in the bank and no income until at 67 . Scares us. More power to you for doing it! Congrats

I have not been on here in quite awhile....but...

I FIRE'd last week!

Looking forward to more time for my hobbies (woodworking, cars, beer, travel) and maybe some new things!

I hope to do exactly that in about 8 yrs or so after relocating somewhere I can build a huge workshop and get more toys...tractors, machinery and such. Imma DIY the crap outta everything! :LOL:

Congrats! What SWR did you settle on?

After years of accumulation milestones, a de-accumulation milestone... Just after Jan 1 I took my first withdrawal from my 401K account. The real purpose was to verify EFT from the 401K to a local bank account. Originally I was going to test with around $100, but figured what the heck, lets live a little. I took out (after taxes withheld) around $5,000, and I intend to "blow that dough" in some way, shape, or fashion. :)

Of course, for the moment, with the market performance the past 10 days the gains in the 401K have more than made up for that withdrawal. But in truth it is a good feeling to be able to enjoy the fruits from my 401K that I have been accumulating for 35 years. :D

After years of accumulation milestones, a de-accumulation milestone... Just after Jan 1 I took my first withdrawal from my 401K account. The real purpose was to verify EFT from the 401K to a local bank account. Originally I was going to test with around $100, but figured what the heck, lets live a little. I took out (after taxes withheld) around $5,000, and I intend to "blow that dough" in some way, shape, or fashion. :)

Of course, for the moment, with the market performance the past 10 days the gains in the 401K have more than made up for that withdrawal. But in truth it is a good feeling to be able to enjoy the fruits from my 401K that I have been accumulating for 35 years. :D
Sweeet, enjoy!!

That's great to hear. It motivates the rest of us that are still running on the hamster wheel.

I followed all your posts when you were on your glide path. So glad you were able to retire and start enjoying what you have planned for.

Nice way to start the new year!!

Finished taking my 26th OSHA 8-hour hazardous waste operations class! Every year, OSHA requires 8 hours of training, but doesn't specify the content. I'm certainly glad that's over! I've also had to take the initial 40-hour class, supervisor class, etc.

Finished taking my 26th OSHA 8-hour hazardous waste operations class! Every year, OSHA requires 8 hours of training, but doesn't specify the content. I'm certainly glad that's over! I've also had to take the initial 40-hour class, supervisor class, etc.

Soooo...now you’ll know what to do with all those empty propane containers left over from your FIRE BBQs? :rolleyes:

Am I missing some other more obvious FIRE connection? :confused:

Soooo...now you’ll know what to do with all those empty propane containers left over from your FIRE BBQs? :rolleyes:

Am I missing some other more obvious FIRE connection? :confused:
Last refresher means I have less than one year of w)#$k remaining! :)

The exact same thing happened to me! Guess we had the pleasure of experiencing that milestone several times!!:dance:

Same here! Passed it in 1999 and then we all know what happened, haha! Reached it again in 2003 - divorced - we all know what happens, haha! Crushed it in 2006 and never looked back! Hit 4M in August last year, hoping I can surpass that again soon. :greetings10:

I have not been on here in quite awhile....but...

I FIRE'd last week!

Looking forward to more time for my hobbies (woodworking, cars, beer, travel) and maybe some new things!

Took a lot of planning, had to get health care on the exchange, move all our money from employer to FIDO and re-allocate, and so on...but that's all behind us now and the focus this year is on re-doing our wills/POAs and so on (last done in 2008).

Thanks to all on here for some good advice and encouragement along the way. I just turned 57 and no longer have to w*** for a living!

Dave:dance:

That all sounds so good... Congratulations. Thanks for sharing and keep us all motivated who are still w***ing to reach our goals to FIRE.

Celebrate a new milestone on your journey to FIRE with us! Did you just pay off your mortgage, reach financial independence, or pass a nice round number on your way to FI? Tell us of your accomplishments here!
Milestone 1: Retired at age 49
Milestone 2: Turned 50 one month later
Milestone 3: Moved out of CA.

2019 - My journey towards retirement savings

I first joined this forum back in Oct. 2013 and shared my first milestone of finally attaining $100K in my 401K which I was so happy to see. I also joined this forum to gain some insight and ideas/support from the many savvy and intelligent savings planners and to help gain some confidence and support in my own situation and it has been great to see some of the many stories - BIG successes from so many here and to also read about stories of those just now starting or who are on the same path and journey as I.
Qtr 4 2018 was brutal for many who witnessed what was a nice climb in the market take a turn. I held on to my allocations and let it ride but as many, would like to see some nice gains in 2019 to recoup the momentum lost lately.

I have a long way to go but have finally crossed the $300K this week and still maximizing my contributions to the 401K plan even though with 3 daughters and a wife who is a low income earner I have learned to live within my means and live off what I have after paying myself first.

I will also be celebrating my oldest daughter graduating college next month with a Bachelors in Psychology and two minors so I am very proud of that milestone also. It will also allow for me to be able to add the money I was helping her with each semester and being to invest it and as a Dad I am so proud of her achieving that degree and being able to see her join her next steps in the work/career journey.

Thank you for all of the contributions and sharing your journeys with everyone on this site. It makes a great difference.

Congratulations, CamasSaver! Your story I'm sure will also be an inspiration to others here. Keep up the great work!

-DW and I just passed the 50% complete mark of our active duty careers! <10 years of interesting and challenging w*rk left to go.

-Just broke 800K for NW!

Can someone, please, tell me what FIRE stands for? I've been reading it for years and really am not positive what the acronym really means.

Boss gave me the oral okay to take a few months off work later this year. Will use the time to rest, focus on health, visit family, clean the garage, finish the kitchen backsplash, and other projects.

If DW’s promotion goes through smoothly this summer, I doubt I’ll return. At least not full time.

Boss gave me the oral okay to take a few months off work later this year. Will use the time to rest, focus on health, visit family, clean the garage, finish the kitchen backsplash, and other projects.

If DW’s promotion goes through smoothly this summer, I doubt I’ll return. At least not full time.

What a wonderful feeling that must be! We’ll all hope for DW’s promo.

Congrats!

Can someone, please, tell me what FIRE stands for? I've been reading it for years and really am not positive what the acronym really means.

You might find this helpful, list of some common slang used in this forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html

That is great! I hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom