Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fidelity account hit 3.5 million today, net worth is 5.6m ...feels REALLY good! Admittedly sometimes I wonder how this happened. I am just a blue collar guy who wears a tool belt for a living with no college education. I buy whatever I want whenever I want it. I feel very fortunate to have reached this level.

Congratulations to everyone else on your milestones. I like to read about other peoples successes.

That is amazing. Congrats!

rolled the IRA odometer over again today. finally got past the 2mm mark!
paid off one of the rentals mortgage a couple months ago as well.
while 2020 has been a bad year for many, it's been fantastic financially to me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 10.56.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 10.56.13 PM.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 74
It's OFFICIAL!! We are DEBT FREE!! Plus 7-figures already saves for retirement.

Congratulations!! :dance::dance:

Your screen shot made me laugh out loud, because I captured exactly the same info when I paid off my mortgage in 2017 - I wanted to SEE that "PD in Full" and "Amount Due $0.00" before I could relax. :D

It's OFFICIAL!! We are DEBT FREE!! Plus 7-figures already saves for retirement.

Congrats!

I mentioned upthread that I paid off most of the balance the other day. Here is what my account looks like today, so I guess I am a cup of coffee away from your status!

Attachments

• mtgblnce.jpeg
    mtgblnce.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 58
Passed $3M asset milestone. That's $500k more than what I started out with about 5 years ago when I pulled the trigger.

Two Comma Club, times Two. So happy I retired immediately when I hit my number! Life is too short.

Passed my FIRE goal of $2.5 MM today not counting the house. I have been so looking forward to this day. I'm going to work two more years and that's it. Fantastic feeling when you know you could just drop it all and walk out.

Nice work! Are you adhering to the 4% rule? I've heard (lately) that 5% is dang near bulletproof as well, as long as you adhere to a few rules. Your number strikes me as having enough to do 80K with the 4% rule PLUS have 500K "on the sideliness" as a buffer. Is that what you're thinking or are you thinking 100K straight using the 4% rule? ... or something else?

Passed my FIRE goal of $2.5 MM today not counting the house. I have been so looking forward to this day. I'm going to work two more years and that's it. Fantastic feeling when you know you could just drop it all and walk out.
I was pretty much in that same boat when I was 55....At that time, I kept saying just OMY... A little over five years later I finally quit :).... Honestly, looking back, I wish I had at least a few of those last 5 years back for use in retirement since I didn't need the extra money. YMMV... Good luck.

Last edited:
I have used 4% and lately 3.5%. However, this is not too important to me as I knew (hoped) I would reach my goal prior of retiring. My planned retirement date is 4/1/2023 tied somewhat to my son entering 12th grade that Fall. I intend to do a lot of traveling and until he leaves my house I can't do too much of that. I have a high paying job and I am well aware of the psychological risk of the "one more year" syndrome....

I was pretty much in that same boat when I was 55....At that time, I kept saying just OMY... A little over five years later I finally quit :).... Honestly, looking back, I wish I had at least a few of those last 5 years back for use in retirement since I didn't need the extra money. YMMV... Good luck.
Thanks for this honest feedback. It will help me pulling the plug. I really have despised work for a long time...

I have used 4% and lately 3.5%. However, this is not too important to me as I knew (hoped) I would reach my goal prior of retiring. My planned retirement date is 4/1/2023 tied somewhat to my son entering 12th grade that Fall. I intend to do a lot of traveling and until he leaves my house I can't do too much of that. I have a high paying job and I am well aware of the psychological risk of the "one more year" syndrome....

I really work at NO alluding to my NW online but will betray that just a bit and say we're close to that mark. Only 50% of it is in very nicely cash flowing rental real estate we've been nursing and nurturing since 2009. This generates about a 12-15% cash on cash return pretty reliably with 4-6 hours work per week (i.e. maybe 3 percentage points of that 12-15 is "job income" while 9-12 is ROI, haha). Pulling the plug on RE slowly...we're basically trading in dollars that give us 12 cents on the dollar each year for dollars that give us 4-5 cents. Which is OK if we only NEED 4-5 cents but we're 55 and 54 so we're moving slow...

This generates about a 12-15% cash on cash return pretty reliably with 4-6 hours work per week (i.e. maybe 3 percentage points of that 12-15 is "job income" while 9-12 is ROI, haha). Pulling the plug on RE slowly...we're basically trading in dollars that give us 12 cents on the dollar each year for dollars that give us 4-5 cents. Which is OK if we only NEED 4-5 cents but we're 55 and 54 so we're moving slow...

That looks really good, especially to the diversification of income streams. I recently bought a good share of REITs into my portfolio to try to counterbalance the huge portion of tech stocks now making up the S&P 500.

That looks really good, especially to the diversification of income streams. I recently bought a good share of REITs into my portfolio to try to counterbalance the huge portion of tech stocks now making up the S&P 500.

I just put our HSA into Rida Morwa's "HDO" portfolio. He's a big propent of creating a portfolio that geneates avg 9% vs. taking SWR of 4% from a portfolio that is for example 60/40, yields 2% and grows 2-6%. Lots of REITs but also leveraged discounted CEFs which I really have an almost irrational attraction to. I have found though that I need to "insulate" this type of investing from my main kitty so I don't get too panicky when they drop.

I have about 10% of our portfolio in CFRE and P2P as well ... there is something I like about having SOME of our money in stuff that is NOT liquid. It seems "liquid" these days means everyone with a Robinhood account can panick and make it drop 25% in an afternoon.

It seems "liquid" these days means everyone with a Robinhood account can panick and make it drop 25% in an afternoon.
When it happens, nothing liquid holds up; the flight to cash pushes down on everything you can sell with the press of a button. And this thread languishes.

But when I did my monthly mark to market pull, and I saw the increase, I thought to myself that the milestone thread is going to light up, for sure :) I haven't calculated X times spend lately, I just know, like Rob, since I retired, the market has been kind.

I just put our HSA into Rida Morwa's "HDO" portfolio. He's a big propent of creating a portfolio that geneates avg 9% vs. taking SWR of 4% from a portfolio that is for example 60/40, yields 2% and grows 2-6%. Lots of REITs but also leveraged discounted CEFs which I really have an almost irrational attraction to. I have found though that I need to "insulate" this type of investing from my main kitty so I don't get too panicky when they drop.

I have about 10% of our portfolio in CFRE and P2P as well ... there is something I like about having SOME of our money in stuff that is NOT liquid. It seems "liquid" these days means everyone with a Robinhood account can panick and make it drop 25% in an afternoon.

Look at the preferred stock investment thread to see not so flattering about Rida Morwa or Rida Moron as Mulligan likes to call him. He was well crushed this spring and has hardly recovered yet.

We hit the 50x annual expenses milestone a while back (50 & 45), but we aren't stepping off the treadmill for another 5 years or so. Why? Because we're in our peak earnings years and could hit another major milestone by then. What we ARE doing is loosening the purse strings a bit to buy better quality - whether a new mattress or even a car. I do wonder whether we should done so a few years ago, but that's water under the bridge.

I've now come to realize that's the point of having money, if once you're financially secure, you aren't going to enjoy it? We can't take it with us in the end, and why leave it to the tax man?

Just Hit $4m! woot! woot!

I'm sure I'm going to regret posting as my last big milestone post was in Feb and then my portfolio plummeted the next week.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts! :cool:

Just Hit $4m! woot! woot!

I'm sure I'm going to regret posting as my last big milestone post was in Feb and then my portfolio plummeted the next week.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts! :cool:

Congratulations! If your number hovers above and below the $4m threshold you get to celebrate it more!

How much further until you call it quits if you haven't already?

The DW and I had a goal to reach 1Mil in liquid assets by the time we reach 50. We not only did that this year, but just topped 1.2 and we were actually giddy. Lol
Also bought a new truck for 30Gs in cash earlier this year. That just made the milestone that much sweeter. Isn’t the market great :)

Congratulations! If your number hovers above and below the $4m threshold you get to celebrate it more!

How much further until you call it quits if you haven't already?

Heh, I'm guessing i'll be celebrating more then!

That's the big question, been wrestling on that for a while.

Negotiated a severance into FI/RE, but got a great job offer recently I couldn't pass up. So in a couple years or sooner if I really hate working? :). Originally, was going to be FIRE for a year and see how my assets handled it.

But when I did my monthly mark to market pull, and I saw the increase, I thought to myself that the milestone thread is going to light up, for sure :)

Me too! So when I saw the market hit a new high, I decided to update my net worth on Friday. We had been approaching a minor milestone, i.e. trying to see the odometer flip over from $1,89x,xxx to $1,900,xxx (or come excruciatingly close). Wouldn't you know it, my 457 provider was doing major website maintenance all weekend, so this was on hold. I still could not log in to the website this morning. :mad: I finally called them, and they explained that I had to clear my cache/history. I was then able to log in before today's market close, and found that I had cleared the (stupid, imaginary) bar by $182! Woo-hoo!

After getting close a few weeks ago, I finally broke passed the $1.7M mark. I'm at $1.71M now, and we'll see if I can stay over the $1.7M mark or will I bounce below and above a few times like with some other plateaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom