Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It has taken a lot of perseverance and sacrifice (and 8 years of woking in a dangerous 3rd world country) but the rewards should be worth it.

If I can achieve FIRE by 33 and still manage to visit every country in the world, I will be very happy with the life I built. :dance:

Hah, as you should! If I retire as planned (58) and visit all of the countries that I wish to visit (E.G., N.Korea ain't on my list), and dive all of the destinations on our list, I'll be similarly happy. :clap::clap:

Again, kudos. As evident from another post, you've taken what most of us would consider to be some real, albeit calculated, risks to get where you are at.

Congrats Baldpacker!

I'll join in on the fun, too. Logged into mint this evening and, for the first time ever, saw that I'm in the "two comma" club. Turned 35 back in November, so I'm a little behind you, but still a pretty nice achievement!

Hoping to hit $2M some time between 40-45 and then call it. We'll see...

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and infrequent poster but thought I would share my recent milestone(s).

Age 40 (2 months from 41)

Net assets: 500K
Net worth: 400K
Invested assets: 300K

FIRE goal ~2025 +/-2 (probably +2)

Thanks for all the info on this great site!

Congrats SN01, those are some great accomplishments! I hope to have almost exactly those numbers by the end of next month! I'm thinking more 2035 though before I'll be able to go.

Last edited:
Hit $1.8M in investment assets. It came 1.5 months later than I expected due to a bit of splurging on my part. I am hoping to reach $1.9M by August 2105, 6 months from now. (But I heard a "Wheee ...." today on another thread. It may not be a good sign. )

Hit $1.8M in total investment+cash assets yesterday. Glad to have a 3 day weekend to enjoy it before the market tanks on Tuesday :). At least DW and I will have another thing to celebrate for Valentines Day.

Hit $100k invested assets yesterday. Chump change compared to many here, but I'm 26 and have only been working for 3.75 years.

Hit $100k invested assets yesterday. Chump change compared to many here, but I'm 26 and have only been working for 3.75 years.

Congrats! Not "chump change" at all - at 26 I had been working for 5 years and had less than you have saved away. So you are well on your way to doing better than many of us.

I can't believe it, but am very glad to see it.

My portfolio hit the $350K mark. :dance:

When I FIREd in 2007, I had $262K, in a cautious 50/50 AA.
In March 2009, I had $175K. :(

Between doing some heavy duty consolidation, adding some pssst Wellesley :flowers: and slowly adding to existing positions in my portfolio before my own pension kicked in in late 2014, here I am.

I'm a small fish in a bigger pond, but this feels really good to see that $350K number. :D

Current AA = 43/54/3

Last edited:
I have just reached the point where a 3% WR will support all of my expenses including the mortgage. This does not cover much extra, but there is a line item in there for fun. Next goal: 2.5% and then I'll consider myself FI and begin the OMY dance!

Hit the 5.5M in investment & cash assets this month. Rather happy about that. Trying to hit 6M by June 2016. May Retire. Am rather tired of working as the days go by. After being a worker and saver, I hope I don't lose my mind. Gonna eat steak tonight!

n.w. is a bit over 4.5M now.
1.1M in ira & 401k
3.1M in real estate equity in 21 properties
300k+ in old harleys, tools, cars, tractors, & household stuff.
getting closer to the 5m mark when i plan to say adios to my j*b!

Wow. Agree with jollystomper. Not chump change at all; you always have to factor in age (at a minimum) if tempted to compare. We were likely still negative net worth at 26, due to grad school--and you are ahead of my kids, who are themselves on the right path at your age and younger....

Good job.

Congrats! Not "chump change" at all - at 26 I had been working for 5 years and had less than you have saved away. So you are well on your way to doing better than many of us.

Agreed...at age 26 my net worth was in the red. That was when I divorced, and was about $27,000 in debt. I wasn't able to break $100K until I was almost 34.

Just crossed 1.3mm investable 401k/Roth/taxable. FI is right around the corner and on paper could RE at 42(38 now) but will ramp up after tax savings to get a comfortable bridge before tapping into tax advantaged. Target age is 48.

A different milestone that I was excited to reach...
I added up all my earnings from 43 years of work (from my social security statement), and I have crossed that total. So I have everything I ever earned. For some reason that made more of an impression than crossing a specific figure.

A different milestone that I was excited to reach...
I added up all my earnings from 43 years of work (from my social security statement), and I have crossed that total. So I have everything I ever earned. For some reason that made more of an impression than crossing a specific figure.

Now, go back and do it adjusted for inflation :D FWIW, I just ran the calculation myself (not adjusted for inflation). Not quite there yet, but closing in...maybe an 11% difference between the two.

As others have said 100k is not chump change at all. For alot of investors 100k is very difficult to reach. It was for me. The good news is reaching the 200k level comes much, much faster. It seems to me you have plenty of cash to help things along. You are doing wonderful.

Wednesday's close bumped us over $3.1mm total investments for the first time. Kind of fun to look back and see how often the total has doubled in value. It has taken 36-39 months for our portfolio to double from 1 to 2, 1.1 to 2.2, 1.2 to 2.4, 1.3 to 2.6.

It was 37 months for it to double from 1.55 to yesterday's 3.1 close. If this continues, we'll be joining a Class of __ very soon!

Congrats Retire44. Very impressive. Does it make you want to pull the plug any earlier?

Our goal has been 2018, when our youngest will head to college, because we can't really do much else while he is in high school.

If all goes well between now and 2018, we would like to start the next chapter of our lives and live 7 months of the year at a lake home (we've bought the land), greatly reduce my business to the other 5 months when we are back at home (enough to cover our expenses and not tap savings for a couple years) and wife would leave her job and work for/with me during those other few months.

We'll be about 45 at that time. We have a paid for home, no debt and the flexibility to continue working if we need to, if our portfolio is not where it needs to be in 2018.

Back to your question, heck yes it makes me want to pull the plug earlier, but we have some goals and we'll keep saving as much as possible until we get to that window of time when we have the flexibility to do what we want!

Per Zillow, as of today the worth of my paid-off SoCal house now exceeds the peak it attained in Sept 2007 before the RE crash.

party%20kids.png

My 403b exceeded 1 million yesterday for the first time! That's 25 years of savings, as long as I've been at my university. And I hardly saved anything for the first 5 or so years although my employer put in some.

All told I now have approximately 1.9 million investable assets. I'm single with no dependents and no need to leave anything to anyone. I suppose I could retire now at 58 but I actually love my job (can I say that here?) and will probably work for some years to come.

Finally hit the 3M mark with a decent close on Friday and two paychecks. I doubt it will stay there for long, but it was pretty fun to finally see that number. We are in the OMM to OMY mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom