Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at age 42, I passed the one million net worth mark. I guess the next stop will be one million in investable assets.

Sent from my XT1031 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Today at age 42, I passed the one million net worth mark. I guess the next stop will be one million in investable assets.

Congrats, Matthew. That's a huge milestone. I also hit $1M @ 42, and now, 10 years later, I'm at $3M. Best of luck on your journey!

Congratulations! Keep it going!

With the runup in the markets, I crossed $1 million in investable assets today. I know the market giveth and the market can taketh away, but it's nice to see that new digit :)

Thanks to this community where I can share this feat and gather some wise perspective on it.

A milestone that I feel surprisingly bittersweet about. I just closed out the last bit of 529 money for my daughter who's graduating from college this May. It's great to be done with college expenses for both my kids but saving after these 20+ plus years of saving, and now being done, it feels a bit like the end of an era. I suppose I'll get over it as our budget loosens up nicely.

A milestone that I feel surprisingly bittersweet about. I just closed out the last bit of 529 money for my daughter who's graduating from college this May. It's great to be done with college expenses for both my kids but saving after these 20+ plus years of saving, and now being done, it feels a bit like the end of an era. I suppose I'll get over it as our budget loosens up nicely.

Ditto! Odd feeling- like I lost a part of my adult being when closing out my sons 529 just a couple weeks ago after paying last tuition bill!

We FINALLY sold and closed on our home in AL. It's been on the market since July 2016; our first closing fell through 4 days before closing due to the buyer losing her job - ugh! So back on the market we went.

I received the funds and immediately applied them to our new home here in FL. We have a bit more to pay off before we are mortgage-free again.

Spending this year pinning down our costs here in FL...and HOPEFULLY retiring in 2018...concerns about healthcare coverage may keep us from pulling the trigger. Just a wait and see approach for a while now.

We FINALLY sold and closed on our home in AL. It's been on the market since July 2016; our first closing fell through 4 days before closing due to the buyer losing her job - ugh! So back on the market we went.
Now that's a relief - and something to celebrate! Congratulations.

My pension account web page reports the following:

"You are 0 years and 0 months away from Vesting."

Now why they can't just come out and say "Hey, you're vested! Congratulations!" I don't know. I guess this means that at some point in the next 26 days or so I will be officially vested. :)

My pension account web page reports the following:

"You are 0 years and 0 months away from Vesting."

Now why they can't just come out and say "Hey, you're vested! Congratulations!" I don't know. I guess this means that at some point in the next 26 days or so I will be officially vested. :)

Well, hopefully you're "shirted" for the next 26 days...until you're "vested." :D

You seem a bit anxious but, it's probably a good thing that you're "panting" until you're "vested." We'd like you to remain "panted" until then. :LOL:

I just turned 30 years old and have saved $133,000.00 with only a small car loan $7,000 left on a $15,000.00 car at 2.75% and small mortgage $64,000.00 left on a $120,000.00 condo at 3.375% for debt. Making just under $50,000.00 a year this puts me at 2.66 times my salary at a very young age. I've been maintaining a savings rate around 40%.

We Have Arrived

Our portfolio crossed the $500K threshold in 2016. It is a small portion of our retirement income, so that amount is plenty. We have 2 good pensions that are COLA and one modest pension that is no-COLA.

Retiring in June at age 60 :dance:

I just turned 30 years old and have saved $133,000.00 with only a small car loan $7,000 left on a $15,000.00 car at 2.75% and small mortgage $64,000.00 left on a $120,000.00 condo at 3.375% for debt. Making just under $50,000.00 a year this puts me at 2.66 times my salary at a very young age. I've been maintaining a savings rate around 40%.

Congrats!

You might want to read "The Millionaire Next Door", which defines 'Under Accumulators of Wealth (UAW), 'Average Accumulators of Wealth' (AAW), and 'Produgious Accumulators of Weath' (PAW). The formula is: (Age/10)*(Annual Income). It's a good measuring post IMO, although there's an argument to be made that the typical plot would show most people as UAWs when they're young and PAWs when they're older; assuming they do have a LBYM lifestyle.

PS: I see from an earlier (Feb 2015) post that you've more than doubled your NW (~$70, to ~$175k) in 2 yrs. I think that's very impressive.

Last edited:
Been in the two comma club for awhile, but as of this month the 1 rolled over to a 2! :dance:

Not a big $$$ increase from last month, but just like driving the car down the road and seeing a rollover and new zeros it feels like a big milestone.

Shared it with DW (who is already retired), who is normally not all that engaged on the finance side. After all, she and the forum are the only places I can share it! She is more or less waiting for me to be done so we can move on to the next phase which will include an as yet to be determined location (the health care piece of the puzzle is the biggest unknown for me, like many others). Given that the net worth number mentioned above represents only investments, no house, pensions or SS, a simple PV calc adding income streams assuming both of us living to 85 yields more, little over double that.

Her response was quick and simple... What are we doing here? Let's get the he!! out of here! :)

With the recent market run-up, we just crossed the $1.3M mark in investable assets. NW is a bit over $2M. I expect we'll cross both of those thresholds again a few times as the market inevitably cools off. Still, always nice to see those significant digits roll over!

Hit the $1 Million mark for Networth, and about $700K in liquid assets.
Hoping to hit $800K liquid assets by Jan. 1st, 2018.
We don't have kids and mostly cook at home, so hopefully we are able to save faster for the next 4-5 years for an early retirement.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I passed all necessary AND sufficient conditions to pull the plug this year:

3.3M (3.309M as of yesterday)
Retirement house paid off (Need to net 290K from current house and about to go on market for 340K)
35 years SS at max

Now if I could just stop booking expensive vacations; have about $130K in payments due for vacations through 01/19 (around 80K already paid/deposited on top of that). Hope to make a great dent in that by retirement on 20 October 2017, just shy of my 60th birthday.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Now if I could just stop booking expensive vacations; have about $130K in payments due for vacations through 01/19 (around 80K already paid/deposited on top of that). Hope to make a great dent in that by retirement on 20 October 2017, just shy of my 60th birthday.

Wow! What kind of vacations do you take? Where are you going to go? Is this all guided tours?

Wow! What kind of vacations do you take? Where are you going to go? Is this all guided tours?

Almost all cruises:

Miami to Venice (24 nights) next month

Svalbard to Greenland to Iceland (14 nights) in August

Rome to Beijing (63 nights) in October (retirement trip)

Lima to Buenos Aires (21 nights + Machu Pichu) Jan 18

Nome to Nome (Siberia and Arctic Islands) (19 nights) jul 18

New Zealand and Oz land trip including 36 Night cruise around Oz Dec 18

Lots of things getting taken off bucket list.

Marc

We added another 0 to our NW yesterday. Last day in the office is May 5, booked a baja offroad racing school and a corvette track day over the first 2 weeks of retirement. Then a fun summer vacationing with my family.

Almost all cruises:

Miami to Venice (24 nights) next month

Svalbard to Greenland to Iceland (14 nights) in August

Rome to Beijing (63 nights) in October (retirement trip)

Lima to Buenos Aires (21 nights + Machu Pichu) Jan 18

Nome to Nome (Siberia and Arctic Islands) (19 nights) jul 18

New Zealand and Oz land trip including 36 Night cruise around Oz Dec 18

Lots of things getting taken off bucket list.

Marc

Awesome!

Looks like lots of wonderful days to seize...and some outstanding 'tomorrows' as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom