Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mint says I am worth 1.6 mil but almost 800k is in my house.

Milestones I count 401k and Roth hit an all time high of $720k yesterday and I owe 29k on my house.

House will be paid off in 10 months, Retirement starts in 12/13 months.

The count down has started.
That's great! Keep it going. It will feel nice when you get the house paid off. Will you downsize in house after retiring?

That's great! Keep it going. It will feel nice when you get the house paid off. Will you downsize in house after retiring?

No plans to downsize. Even though the house value is high I would have to leave California and move to a LCOL state to see any money.

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment. As I age if I need more funds I will always have the option to sell.

No plans to downsize. Even though the house value is high I would have to leave California and move to a LCOL state to see any money.

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment. As I age if I need more funds I will always have the option to sell.

Similar situation here - house is a large percentage of networth, but since it's paid off, it allows for a low expense place to live in a nice part of the world. If TSHTF, we can sell, and buy or rent someplace cheaper. In the meantime our investments give us plenty to live off of.

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment.
I'm not sure where in Northern CA you live, but starting housing values range from low $100Ks to over $1M, depending on where you are (SF, Sacramento vs. small towns). Chico and Redding have reasonable prices, if not reasonable weather, for example.

With yesterdays stock market close we hit an investable net worth of just over $4 mil. I am sure it will dip below that point at some time, but at least I can say I made it at some point.

With yesterdays stock market close we hit an investable net worth of just over $4 mil. I am sure it will dip below that point at some time, but at least I can say I made it at some point.

Wow, that is really impressive...Congrats

I'm not sure where in Northern CA you live, but starting housing values range from low $100Ks to over $1M, depending on where you are (SF, Sacramento vs. small towns). Chico and Redding have reasonable prices, if not reasonable weather, for example.

We rent in Castro Valley,Ca. Home is Orange County,Ca. Can’t wait to move back to my paid for home in 12 months.

SoCal is still nicer and cheaper all the way around than NoCal but it is true there are cheaper places to live in California.

In three and a half years into retirement our investment (not Net Worth) as of today has grown to over 1m more then the day I retired. Like the rest it has hit an all time high but I know it will dip back down again then back up.

Last edited:
Not a financial milestone, but a personal one. We just celebrated out 12th anniversary. We were both widowed, and met each other on a grief recovery website.
I am hoping to make it to our 25th. I will be 94, and DW will be 89:)

Attachments

• il_1588xN.1409744346_lh8m.jpg
    il_1588xN.1409744346_lh8m.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
SoCal is still nicer and cheaper all the way around than NoCal

There are a lot of folk in Northern California who would disagree with that statement (the "nicer" part) and, of course, it depends on exactly what part of NoCal you are comparing with what part of SoCal. I lived in LA for 20 years and have now lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and appreciate both, for different reasons.

There are a lot of folk in Northern California who would disagree with that statement (the "nicer" part) and, of course, it depends on exactly what part of NoCal you are comparing with what part of SoCal. I lived in LA for 20 years and have now lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and appreciate both, for different reasons.

Well to each his own. I can’t state strongly enough how much I dislike NorCal.

The homeless situation up here is out of control.

Thank goodness my commute is 1.7 miles. The traffic here is deadly. I feel for all the super commuters.

I will happily leave NorCal to all people who love it:dance:

I lived in Sonoma County (40 miles north of SF) for 3 years and loved all the hiking opportunities! Point Reyes, Marin County Open Space, Mount Tamalpais...so many world class spots and majority were well maintained, free and stunning!

DH gave his notice last month, and is retiring at the end of the year.

DH gave his notice last month, and is retiring at the end of the year.
That is great news! I hope you two have something fun planned for the new year.

That is great news! I hope you two have something fun planned for the new year.

Thank you G - His last day we are running to the airport and catching a plane to Washington to visit DS, DDIL & of course the little Princess - DGD. :dance:

250k in my 401 at the close of day. First number since 100k that has been like “niiice”. Onwards and upwards!

New highs, new milestones.

Milestone in Retirement

I'm retiring from full time work on Dec 17 and will work part time starting in January. My department had a "Good luck in your next Chapter" party for me on Friday afternoon. The party was pleasant (it was held at the boss' home) - and I said nice things about department.

That said, I feel 20 lbs lighter knowing that any part time work I do for them now is mostly completing projects and consulting.

I think the admin has allowed the loudest voices to set policies instead of hearing all input. Also - there is a distinct preference for the younger, "just get it done" mentality with less focus on details or its impact on the customers. I feel like the "old grumpy guy from Sesame Street" but I will no longer be concerned about the direction of growth (or lack of).

I feel like the "old grumpy guy from Sesame Street" but I will no longer be concerned about the direction of growth (or lack of).

Which one? Statler or Waldorf?

Long time friend/neighbor (though I moved this year!, so no longer neighbor) and I used to go to a neighborhood bar to watch local football sometimes. Same folks there all the time. One of the bartenders nicknamed us Statler and Waldorf... :)

Our long suffering NFL team, the Cincinnati Bengals, were the source of many of our grumpy comments...

Finding myself back over 5 million investable assets again. Who knows if it’ll last (I’m FIRE’d, so it’s not endlessly growing)... someday it’ll go down way below that, but if things go well, maybe it’ll grow a bit too. I have this crazy idea that if it goes over 5.4, I can funnel some of it into a vacation house.

I am parting with a chunk of my investments to give my younger son a large down payment on a house. When I told him I was going to do it, the tears rolled down his cheeks and he had to walk away to collect himself.
He has never asked for anything, and I am happy to give him some of his inheritance now, when he needs it.
I changed the beneficiaries on the account to give the balance to my other son. Previously they were 50/50 beneficiaries.
We have nowhere near the $ 5 mil another poster has, but our expenses are basically covered by SS and small pensions. I use my RMD to gift all 4 sons, charity and to pay taxes.

Woo-hoo! Hit $2.5M in investments, $3M NW today! (Even though it's just psychological, each round number helps me feel more like we're FI, and we plan to RE after the kid finishes college.)

^ how many years down the road will retirement be till kid is done with college??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom