Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We hit our number last year. (100% success in FIRECalc.) Was going to put in my notice, but then COVID hit. Now we have an extra two years of expenses available plus small pension and SS. I'm thinking of giving notice later this year when last kid graduates college.
Morgan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan22 View Post
We hit our number last year. (100% success in FIRECalc.) Was going to put in my notice, but then COVID hit. Now we have an extra two years of expenses available plus small pension and SS. I'm thinking of giving notice later this year when last kid graduates college.
If you were ready last year and now are in even better shape, why wait?
Old 01-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

Not OP! I'm similar. I planned for Summer 2020 and a year ago from today was super excited. 2020 took the wind out of my sails... my LWN now is 22% higher now but my optimism has been shattered. I used to mostly read the threads about life after FIRE and now I'm back to overthinking do I have enough (bouncing around a 2.5% WRD overall but also accessibility issues with a majority in deferred accounts).

I'm not pessimistic but just don't know what to expect (easy come easy go). I index invest (and discount cashflow when I choose individual securities) but still know that I am ultimately buying equity in individual companies as an owner and just feel things are "frothy" now... if we keep printing money and the vaccine reopens shuttered sectors of the economy maybe I'm ok.. or maybe not. I just don't know and piled on top of that is many of the things I want to do when free from the chains of employment are impacted by COVID. So, I take it one day at a time trying (not that successfully) to maintain my sanity... then I feel so lonely to be in such a "good" position but to be feeling constant anxiety when there are so many more that are suffering (some good friends and several I know who have lost almost everything) when I am wishy-washy on quitting my job with much more money than I had a year ago. Wordy I know, a bit of stream of consciousness.

There needs to be an ER therapist that understands our unique population but all the qualified ones are retired!!!

FLSunFire (Grateful to have such "problems" to deal with)
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #24

We just officially hit 100% in firecalc. Coincidentally when we cleared a major “0” milestone.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Well, I'll play the role of the "little guy". But as of close yesterday, my investments are now over $500k.
It truly is a snowball. The first $100k was the hardest!

I'm not a C-Suite Exec or high income earner. Just LBYM and save 35% to 50% of my income. Ready for the next $500k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Good for you! I passed the 500K mark recently and it certainly snowballs. We can look forward to accelerating gains now.

Remember that all of us here started out as "little guys". Congratulations, you are well on your way to bigger and better things!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a question to those who has 100% success with FireCalc: do you include retirement income, such as Social Security, etc?
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
I have a question to those who has 100% success with FireCalc: do you include retirement income, such as Social Security, etc?
I do. We’re four years away from DH collecting at 62, so that seems close enough. I’m farther away from collecting, hopefully at an older age, but I assume any change would be a haircut, not a complete elimination.

It’s a risk, but we have buffer in our spend.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Not OP! I'm similar. I planned for Summer 2020 and a year ago from today was super excited. 2020 took the wind out of my sails... my LWN now is 22% higher now but my optimism has been shattered. I used to mostly read the threads about life after FIRE and now I'm back to overthinking do I have enough (bouncing around a 2.5% WRD overall but also accessibility issues with a majority in deferred accounts).

I'm not pessimistic but just don't know what to expect (easy come easy go). I index invest (and discount cashflow when I choose individual securities) but still know that I am ultimately buying equity in individual companies as an owner and just feel things are "frothy" now... if we keep printing money and the vaccine reopens shuttered sectors of the economy maybe I'm ok.. or maybe not. I just don't know and piled on top of that is many of the things I want to do when free from the chains of employment are impacted by COVID. So, I take it one day at a time trying (not that successfully) to maintain my sanity... then I feel so lonely to be in such a "good" position but to be feeling constant anxiety when there are so many more that are suffering (some good friends and several I know who have lost almost everything) when I am wishy-washy on quitting my job with much more money than I had a year ago. Wordy I know, a bit of stream of consciousness.

There needs to be an ER therapist that understands our unique population but all the qualified ones are retired!!!

FLSunFire (Grateful to have such "problems" to deal with)
Pb4uski and I will have to work on you at the next SWFLA get together.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Now retired for almost 7 years. Started out with "X" amount of dough. Over the 7 years I spent a quarter (probably a bit more) of my original stash. But I now have a third more dough than I started with.

I'm making dough more than twice as as fast as I can spend it. Which is very cool!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #30

Thank you jollystomper for your words of support. I also want to thank Senator who in 2014 told me to keep up the battle no matter what, it will be worth it. I have done that and will continue to do so.
Really everyone here has encouraged me over the years, so I thank you all.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Well, I'll play the role of the "little guy". But as of close yesterday, my investments are now over $500k.

I'm not a C-Suite Exec or high income earner. Just LBYM and save 35% to 50% of my income. Ready for the next $500k.
We have a lot in common. I never thought we would reach 100...then 200 came so much faster, and 300,400,500...

our last 100k came in less than 6months...not bad for a 39 and 37 year old social worker/IT worker . We have some decent equity we started that train before I got serious about investing though.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I do. We’re four years away from DH collecting at 62, so that seems close enough. I’m farther away from collecting, hopefully at an older age, but I assume any change would be a haircut, not a complete elimination.
It’s a risk, but we have buffer in our spend.
Thank you. Currently, I'm around 28X of projected expense and I do have 100% success from Firecalc when social security is included. However, I've never been able to get 100% success from Personal Capital retirement planner: it always say 99% even if I put some random large number like $20M there.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I think I read too much Bogleheads. It seems if you are 15 years away from Medicare you need 33x expenses. And I worry too much.
Morgan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats! That is quite a milestone and it’s certainly a big accomplishment. I remember hitting the same milestone not that long ago and it was rewarding to know that it was something that wasn’t easy to do. You are well on your way to the next milestones. Good luck with your future financial goals.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:14 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, my big milestone was a negative move in investable assets, but DW and I own a house now, which is having surprising impacts on things I'm thinking about. Definitely different than renting. Next milestone will actually be moving in. Feels weird having so much of our investments now in a house instead. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get back above $2m invested again.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Last night I saw that my invested savings now exceed the amount FIREcalc projects I could retire on and continue to spend about the same amount I've been spending, if I live to 102. I'm planning to continue working for at least a year (probably a year & a half, as my job is in academics and I'd rather leave in the summer than mid-year) because if I continue working into 2022, that's the year I turn 55, and I can draw from my 403(b) without the extra 10% penalty once I separate from my employer (and I need to be drawing from my retirement account to stay on my employer's health ins as a retiree).
dheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Semi-Retired in 2019. Wife will work another three years before possibly retiring. In the big drop of March, I sold a portion of our portfolio, then tried to figure out when to get back in. I got back in at a few percentages below or even when I got out. I never sold in the past but this one SPOOKED me. I won't make that mistake a gain.
Started 2020 at about $2.5 million and finished the year at about $2.8. Hoping to hit the 3 million mark in 2021!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

You’re not the little, probably the young guy. In any case, impressive accomplishment
dtlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

New to the board and first post. Hit $3.4M NW and $2.5M IA. Would love to see 10% growth this year. Would call that success.
dcrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Looks like most had a good year in 2020, congrats. Our target is 33x expenses, excluding pensions/SS. As of the end of 2020, we're at 58% of target. Probably have to work another 5 years of work (to age 46) before hitting our target number.

For fun I charted FIRECalc success rates against expense multiples starting with where we were as of 12/30/2020. Success rates are based on FIRECalc defaults with a 50 year horizon. Looks like diminishing returns once you hit 28x expense target.
SuccessExpMult.jpg
success108 is offline   Reply With Quote