Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

In December 2020 at age 58, I submitted my one year notice to retire. Last day of work will be 12/31/21 (at age 59)—although I might continue as Partner Emeritus..we’ll see. I’m very excited about the upcoming new phase.
DD

In December 2020 at age 58, I submitted my one year notice to retire. Last day of work will be 12/31/21 (at age 59)—although I might continue as Partner Emeritus..we’ll see. I’m very excited about the upcoming new phase.
DD
Congratulations on the planned retirement! Any insight into what will drive the decision between full retirement and Partner Emeritus?

What about after reaching half million?
Hey, all milestones count! Most of us started from zero (or practically zero) at some point in our lives. I consider the first numerical place a major milestone, so I celebrated hitting $600K, $700K, even $750K too, because "three quarters of a MILLION dollars" felt really good to say at the time!

And I consider the second decimal a minor milestone, so I don't always post about those, but we hit $3.9M NW and $3.4M in assets on Friday! So close to the next major milestone! :LOL:

Last edited:
Congratulations on the planned retirement! Any insight into what will drive the decision between full retirement and Partner Emeritus?

Thank you!

Re your question..for starters it requires approval from the Medical Director based on the need for my services, so it's not a sure thing, but odds are very good. The rest depends on my wishes as the time approaches. Some of it is emotional/psychological and some is financial. Btw, I addressed this is my "Hi There" introduction thread.

Thanks,
DD

And I consider the second decimal a minor milestone, so I don't always post about those, but we hit $3.9M NW and $3.4M in assets on Friday! So close to the next major milestone! :LOL:

Just curious... do you mean $3.4M in investable assets? IOW, does your $3.9M NW figure include the value of your home, whereas the $3.4M figure doesn't?

Just curious... do you mean $3.4M in investable assets? IOW, does your $3.9M NW figure include the value of your home, whereas the $3.4M figure doesn't?
Yes, pretty much. I fudged the term because I usually say $X NW and $Y in investments, but I don't consider my savings account an investment. It is investable, though, that's a better term.

What about after reaching half million?

Congrats on reaching 500K. It’s a great accomplishment and the money will start to really compound now.

For some reason I was much more excited for this milestone than the few I’ve had since. Perhaps it was the realization that I was halfway to one million? Or I reflected on all the hard work it took to allow me to save that much money.

Whatever the reason it was memorable. And it motivated me to keep going.

I hope everyone that reached a recent milestone appreciates what they’ve achieved and understands what an accomplishment it is to reach those amounts. You’ve all earned it! Congrats everyone. I look forward to hearing about your next accomplishments.

Last edited:
Congrats on reaching 500K. It’s a great accomplishment and the money will start to really compound now.

For some reason I was much more excited for this milestone than the few I’ve had since. Perhaps it was the realization that I was halfway to one million? Or I reflected on all the hard work it took to allow me to save that much money.

Whatever the reason it was memorable. And it motivated me to keep going.

I hope everyone that reached a recent milestone appreciates what they’ve achieved and understands what an accomplishment it is to reach those amounts. You’ve all earned it! Congrats everyone. I look forward to to hearing about your next accomplishments.

I had like $275k in March of 2020. What a run during COVID-19. At this pace when will I reach $1M?

So great to see all the impressive milestones. Very happy for all of you!

I really enjoy reading this thread and watching people celebrate their forward progress and sometimes the very honest posts of losses (those posts have given me great perspective!) regardless of dollar amounts.

My milestone to report is that I can now stomach a 5 paycheck daily loss in my investments without finding a building to throw myself off of.:)

Last edited:
In the taxable subset of my overall portfolio, I have finally recovered all the losses I incurred last February and March after hitting a peak at the end of December of 2019. Counting my rollover IRA, I had recovered all of my total portfolio losses back in December of 2020.

I am also nearing another milestone - hitting the $1M in the taxable subset of my overall portfolio. This subset, as I just mentioned, hit a previous high in December of 2019. It was just under $1M then. I am closer to $1M now but still a little short of it. Maybe some time this month I will get there and post here again.

I thought I had written this earlier, but it looks like I didn't. Oh well, they say the mind is often the first to go :p Anyway, on Friday I hit a new milestone, popping the $2.3M barrier.

These fresh $100K milestones aren't as significant as they were back in the early days, but they're still kinda exciting, hitting them for the first time. So, on to $2.4M!

Ready or not, today is retirement day! FireCalc says we would be near 100% if we had half as much money, so that's not a worry anymore.

I will miss the great people at work, but will not miss the minutia, KPI's, goal setting, strategic initiatives to "reimagine" the business, required "training", forced ranking. Then there was the endless overtime when times were good and rapid layoffs when times were bad. Plus crazy budgets, impossible schedules, ridiculous sales promises and clients that want to know why we didn't meet crazy budgets, impossible schedules and ridiculous sales promises.

So now time to let all that go and relax!

Ready or not, today is retirement day! FireCalc says we would be near 100% if we had half as much money, so that's not a worry anymore.

I will miss the great people at work, but will not miss the minutia, KPI's, goal setting, strategic initiatives to "reimagine" the business, required "training", forced ranking. Then there was the endless overtime when times were good and rapid layoffs when times were bad. Plus crazy budgets, impossible schedules, ridiculous sales promises and clients that want to know why we didn't meet crazy budgets, impossible schedules and ridiculous sales promises.

So now time to let all that go and relax!

Congrats! Just wait until that great Sunday night and Monday morning feeling. It is the best! Never gets old. Enjoy!

As of today. We now 50% MORE than retirement date 5 years ago. That is after spending roughly 15% of the starting value.
:dance::dance::dance:

We hit 41% of our FI goal as of today. Total assets now sit @ ~$1.4M. I turn 40 in July and DW turns 37 in September. I know these milestones seem random to share but for some reason it just feels good!!! :)

^ well, you two are doing outstanding!!

I hit the 7 figure mark in my 401K account today for the first time at age 47. Counting my DW's retirement savings we just topped $1.5M for the household and now over $2M in net worth. It is amazing how fast the accounts grow, as my 401K went from $500K to over $1M in just 4 years.

^ that is a great feeling and happy for your success.

Like everyone has said, the bigger that number gets in front on the first coma the faster that number changes.
It also works in reverse if that number is bigger it goes down faster also. Lol

We just realized we have reached eight figures for the first time, even considering what the government is about to take from us because of Roth conversions last year.

Dash man that is awesome and it doesn't happen by accident!!! Is that NW or just portfolio??

Not sure I will ever make that milestone but I'm well over half way there now (NW) and over half in portfolio also.

Regardless of what we have in NW, I feel so blessed to have my health and things I love so much.

Last edited:
Dash man that is awesome and it doesn't happen by accident!!! Is that NW or just portfolio??

Not sure I will ever make that milestone but I'm well over half way there now (NW) and over half in portfolio also.

Regardless of what we have in NW, I feel so blessed to have my health and things I love so much.

Portfolio is about $9M, real estate about $2M (two houses, 2 townhomes our boys live in, and a beach condo in FL).

If you’re well over half way there, you’ll make it before you know it!

^ Thanks and you have done well! So many things to be thankful for in life.

Back
Top Bottom