Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

In December 2020 at age 58, I submitted my one year notice to retire. Last day of work will be 12/31/21 (at age 59)—although I might continue as Partner Emeritus..we’ll see. I’m very excited about the upcoming new phase.
DD
DangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 03:19 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDad View Post
In December 2020 at age 58, I submitted my one year notice to retire. Last day of work will be 12/31/21 (at age 59)—although I might continue as Partner Emeritus..we’ll see. I’m very excited about the upcoming new phase.
DD
Congratulations on the planned retirement! Any insight into what will drive the decision between full retirement and Partner Emeritus?
srblanco7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
What about after reaching half million?
Hey, all milestones count! Most of us started from zero (or practically zero) at some point in our lives. I consider the first numerical place a major milestone, so I celebrated hitting $600K, $700K, even $750K too, because "three quarters of a MILLION dollars" felt really good to say at the time!

And I consider the second decimal a minor milestone, so I don't always post about those, but we hit $3.9M NW and $3.4M in assets on Friday! So close to the next major milestone!
Old 02-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by srblanco7 View Post
Congratulations on the planned retirement! Any insight into what will drive the decision between full retirement and Partner Emeritus?
Thank you!

Re your question..for starters it requires approval from the Medical Director based on the need for my services, so it's not a sure thing, but odds are very good. The rest depends on my wishes as the time approaches. Some of it is emotional/psychological and some is financial. Btw, I addressed this is my "Hi There" introduction thread.

Thanks,
DD
DangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
And I consider the second decimal a minor milestone, so I don't always post about those, but we hit $3.9M NW and $3.4M in assets on Friday! So close to the next major milestone!
Just curious... do you mean $3.4M in investable assets? IOW, does your $3.9M NW figure include the value of your home, whereas the $3.4M figure doesn't?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Just curious... do you mean $3.4M in investable assets? IOW, does your $3.9M NW figure include the value of your home, whereas the $3.4M figure doesn't?
Yes, pretty much. I fudged the term because I usually say $X NW and $Y in investments, but I don't consider my savings account an investment. It is investable, though, that's a better term.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What about after reaching half million?
Congrats on reaching 500K. It’s a great accomplishment and the money will start to really compound now.

For some reason I was much more excited for this milestone than the few I’ve had since. Perhaps it was the realization that I was halfway to one million? Or I reflected on all the hard work it took to allow me to save that much money.

Whatever the reason it was memorable. And it motivated me to keep going.

I hope everyone that reached a recent milestone appreciates what they’ve achieved and understands what an accomplishment it is to reach those amounts. You’ve all earned it! Congrats everyone. I look forward to hearing about your next accomplishments.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan View Post
Congrats on reaching 500K. It’s a great accomplishment and the money will start to really compound now.

For some reason I was much more excited for this milestone than the few I’ve had since. Perhaps it was the realization that I was halfway to one million? Or I reflected on all the hard work it took to allow me to save that much money.

Whatever the reason it was memorable. And it motivated me to keep going.

I hope everyone that reached a recent milestone appreciates what they’ve achieved and understands what an accomplishment it is to reach those amounts. You’ve all earned it! Congrats everyone. I look forward to to hearing about your next accomplishments.
I had like $275k in March of 2020. What a run during COVID-19. At this pace when will I reach $1M?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So great to see all the impressive milestones. Very happy for all of you!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

I really enjoy reading this thread and watching people celebrate their forward progress and sometimes the very honest posts of losses (those posts have given me great perspective!) regardless of dollar amounts.

My milestone to report is that I can now stomach a 5 paycheck daily loss in my investments without finding a building to throw myself off of.
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had like $275k in March of 2020. What a run during COVID-19. At this pace when will I reach $1M?
Soon! And the first million is the toughest so that should give you a lot of encouragement.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

In the taxable subset of my overall portfolio, I have finally recovered all the losses I incurred last February and March after hitting a peak at the end of December of 2019. Counting my rollover IRA, I had recovered all of my total portfolio losses back in December of 2020.

I am also nearing another milestone - hitting the $1M in the taxable subset of my overall portfolio. This subset, as I just mentioned, hit a previous high in December of 2019. It was just under $1M then. I am closer to $1M now but still a little short of it. Maybe some time this month I will get there and post here again.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #113

I thought I had written this earlier, but it looks like I didn't. Oh well, they say the mind is often the first to go Anyway, on Friday I hit a new milestone, popping the $2.3M barrier.

These fresh $100K milestones aren't as significant as they were back in the early days, but they're still kinda exciting, hitting them for the first time. So, on to $2.4M!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ready or not, today is retirement day! FireCalc says we would be near 100% if we had half as much money, so that's not a worry anymore.

I will miss the great people at work, but will not miss the minutia, KPI's, goal setting, strategic initiatives to "reimagine" the business, required "training", forced ranking. Then there was the endless overtime when times were good and rapid layoffs when times were bad. Plus crazy budgets, impossible schedules, ridiculous sales promises and clients that want to know why we didn't meet crazy budgets, impossible schedules and ridiculous sales promises.

So now time to let all that go and relax!
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:07 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post
Ready or not, today is retirement day! FireCalc says we would be near 100% if we had half as much money, so that's not a worry anymore.

I will miss the great people at work, but will not miss the minutia, KPI's, goal setting, strategic initiatives to "reimagine" the business, required "training", forced ranking. Then there was the endless overtime when times were good and rapid layoffs when times were bad. Plus crazy budgets, impossible schedules, ridiculous sales promises and clients that want to know why we didn't meet crazy budgets, impossible schedules and ridiculous sales promises.

So now time to let all that go and relax!
Congrats! Just wait until that great Sunday night and Monday morning feeling. It is the best! Never gets old. Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #116

As of today. We now 50% MORE than retirement date 5 years ago. That is after spending roughly 15% of the starting value.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

We hit 41% of our FI goal as of today. Total assets now sit @ ~$1.4M. I turn 40 in July and DW turns 37 in September. I know these milestones seem random to share but for some reason it just feels good!!! :-)
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

^ well, you two are doing outstanding!!
Old 02-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #119
Dryer sheet wannabe

I hit the 7 figure mark in my 401K account today for the first time at age 47. Counting my DW's retirement savings we just topped $1.5M for the household and now over $2M in net worth. It is amazing how fast the accounts grow, as my 401K went from $500K to over $1M in just 4 years.
scottmn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

^ that is a great feeling and happy for your success.

Like everyone has said, the bigger that number gets in front on the first coma the faster that number changes.
It also works in reverse if that number is bigger it goes down faster also. Lol