Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

I charted my aggregate IA asset balances and growth % y/y for the last 9 years (that's how long I've been keeping detailed records). On average, 26% growth y/y - not too shabby! But when you remove the best performing year @ 69% growth (Mar-2020 - Mar-2021) -aka- "The Year of COVID" - the average drops to 20%. Anyone else track like this that is willing to share? I found it insightful. :dance:

Attachments

• IA Assets & Growth_2012-2021.png
    IA Assets & Growth_2012-2021.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 107
I charted my aggregate IA asset balances and growth % y/y for the last 9 years (that's how long I've been keeping detailed records). On average, 26% growth y/y - not too shabby! But when you remove the best performing year @ 69% growth (Mar-2020 - Mar-2021) -aka- "The Year of COVID" - the average drops to 20%. Anyone else track like this that is willing to share? I found it insightful. :dance:

I do. We averaged 28% annual y/y past 8 years since I started tracking.

Over the last 8 years we've been at 20%/yr increase in assets. We've been tracking since mid-2005, and from 2006 to 2020 we're at 17%/yr. Asset allocation was fairly consistent for most of that time period, with the exception perhaps that over the last couple years we've shifted to a slightly higher percentage of bond funds (currently at 80% stocks/20% bonds).

Happy dance, today we are refinancing our home to sub 3%.

We retired and then moved but I had not planned properly for what that would mean for getting a new home loan given we had no income the bank liked and in our late 40s. I ended up with a asset based mortgage with a rate that was soul sucking compared to what we were use to. My honey had taken a 3 month contract gig that just happened to keep getting extended and has finally qualified us for a conventional mortgage so we are back on track.

Dash man that is awesome and it doesn't happen by accident!!! Is that NW or just portfolio??

Not sure I will ever make that milestone but I'm well over half way there now (NW) and over half in portfolio also.

Regardless of what we have in NW, I feel so blessed to have my health and things I love so much.

You guys make me unretireable. I could reach 8 figures if I wanted to work to my 70 years. I don't even want to work to my 60s, but I do like more money.

You guys make me unretireable. I could reach 8 figures if I wanted to work to my 70 years. I don't even want to work to my 60s, but I do like more money.
Ohhhhh Nooooo don't feel that way. We all can work longer and keep making milestone come faster but that isn't what we should do. I hope you retire when you feel ready regardless of the amount.

There will always be people with way more and less then you, but each case is different. I wish you well, and you will know when to retire and ready financially, regardless of the number.

We hit another big milestone with yesterday's record market: $4M NW! And we're almost at $3.5M in investments & cash! After the S&P closed above 4,000 I was expecting to see a lot of activity on this thread!

At the end of March my trailing 12mo expenses hit 2% of my liquid net worth (excluding taxes) for the first time. I'm still w*rking but feel the slack being taken out of the trigger as the fear is transitioning to excitement as I approach my date.

Hopefully the bull lasts at least until I jump!

^ interesting correlation.

My yearly expenses are .7% of liquid portfolio. My WR is less then .7% every year so far in retirement, except last year. Charity and gifting made that number rise to ~2%.

This is a very good achievement.
I just calculated my number and it is 2.8%. Do we have a magic number to reach for ER?

I'm 47 so have a long time frame but I definitely "feel" FI now. 2% sounds great but it's mostly due to the extreme run up this past year (easy come-easy go)! I'd be more comfortable if gradually got to my current NW or in a few years from now if the market holds the gains. I'm still planning to make the jump in about 100 days...

The history suggests I'd be successful at a higher rate than 2%. I play around running Firecalc for 20 year periods and using the lowest remaining portfolio balance to then start the next run at 20 years and am still pretty high success ratio - that would be equivalent to retiring during the two worst period period back to back (am I the only one that when I got to 100% started making up my own worst cases to get under 100%?)!

My expected WDR will likely be slightly higher accounting for taxes and healthcare (if I get the ACA subsidy which I expect I will be close to 2% if the market valuations hold).

FLSunFIRE

8 figures is certainly not necessary for probably 99% of people. I would never work until 70 y.o. to reach that figure.

^ interesting correlation.

My yearly expenses are .7% of liquid portfolio. My WR is less then .7% every year so far in retirement, except last year. Charity and gifting made that number rise to ~2%.

Wow, Street, Do you have other income sources or just choose to spend that small of a %?

^ neither of your choices. We spend on what ever we need or want and we don't have any other income, except we both have taken SS. There is really only so much a person can blow money on or spend just to spend.
Charity and gifting are our biggest expenses. We have had many open doors in our life and been blessed in so many ways, just like everyone here on ER.

Passed the $3M milestone in retirement assets yesterday. I enjoy reading about everyone’s journey to freedom!

Another year and half passed. Time to update my stats:

After tax account: 1.8
Retirement account: 5.6
Rental Property: 4.4
Primary Residence 3.0 -0.8

total: 14.0m
Big bump from last update thx to the rising stock and housing market.

I joined this forum 7+ years ago, saying I plan to fire in 7 years when
my kid gets out of college.

I guess I get OMY syndrome. A few more years, but 5 more years at most when I pay off my house:)

I guess I get OMY syndrome. A few more years, but 5 more years at most when I pay off my house:)

How did you amass so much in your retirement accounts?

Wow. That is beyond fatF.I.R.E.

Back
Top Bottom