Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

The biggest milestone I can think of is watching the market inexplicably rise in 2020 and thinking, if this somehow keeps up, my investments will make me a millionaire. Lol. No way.

Then the markets did, and I did the math late in the year and sure enough, somewhere in the fall I became a net worth millionaire. It was a very pleasant and sobering moment.

Congrats. It is still nice to be able to say that one is a millionaire.

The biggest milestone I can think of is watching the market inexplicably rise in 2020 and thinking, if this somehow keeps up, my investments will make me a millionaire. Lol. No way.

Then the markets did, and I did the math late in the year and sure enough, somewhere in the fall I became a net worth millionaire. It was a very pleasant and sobering moment.
Welcome to the club. It's not as exclusive as it use to be when most of us started this journey, but it certainly still a club worth joining.
:clap:

I hit the millionaire milestone right on my daughter's 14th birthday. I think it was the universe understanding my crappy memory and giving me a way to remember the date. :) But seriously I like the advice about seeing beyond your bubble. I don't associate with many people far beyond our means so some of that influence is muted in our situation. We also had a large stall around 800K which gave us the "It's finally here" feeling as opposed to the "woo-hoo we made it" feeling I expected.

Congratulations to all of you with new milestones. I would guess a lot of milestones with a all-time high this Easter Week.

I finally pierced the $1.9 million mark. I got close at the end of 2021 before the market took a downturn. I broke the $1.8M mark earlier in 2021, so it has taken nearly 3 years to advance another $100k.

Last edited:
Some very nice round numbers here! Congratulations to all.

I am 71. Retired for 13 years.

My first milestone might seem a little odd. It was while I was 53 years old.

At that age any severance (18-24 months) would have placed me over the 55 mark and entitled me to a DB pension, albeit reduced from full pension at 62.

If I did get cut I would have been deemed to have been retired at 55. My unvested stock options would have been vested w/two years to exercise.

After that it was all about savings, equity accounts etc. The usual. But 53.5 was a definite milestone. Unusual??

That was the point at which I realized that early retirement was in the cards, a reality, an attainable goal.

As it turned out I went at 58/59 with a healthly severance package. Best thing that ever happened. Had to wait 16 months for it but it was well worth waiting for. Used that time to get our affairs in order and complete some retirment plans.

Last edited:
We just hit $ 3 Mil net worth. I am 85 and DW is 80. After 12 years, 41 countries, 51 trips, 500 travel days, and 17 cruises, we are done with lengthy travels.
We moved to a seaside apartment 2 years ago, and consider it our last move.
Our expenses are about 120K, and our income is over $200K. We have been gifting our 4 sons, and paid for GD's tuition for nursing school.

We just hit $ 3 Mil net worth. I am 85 and DW is 80. After 12 years, 41 countries, 51 trips, 500 travel days, and 17 cruises, we are done with lengthy travels.
Our expenses are about 120K, and our income is over $200K. We have been gifting our 4 sons, and paid for GD's tuition for nursing school.

What was your highest NW in history?

What a great journey in life!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing all those milestones.

Last edited:
Wow-sounds like you’ve had a great life and are now in a position to enjoy slow life too!

What was your highest NW in history?

$3 Mil is a very respectable NW! Heh, heh, if you're like me, you've stopped thinking in terms of "30-year time line" for it to last. Time to BTD! Enjoy.:)

That’s fantastic. My parents are in their mid-seventies and unfortunately I think they are done with international travel due to health issues. Amazing you were able to get so much travel in. This is why I want to retire before 60.

Just hit 2.5m Euro today. As I would like to retire either in Germany (EUR) or Switzerland (CHF), I follow our networth in both currencies.
Target wise I´m at 81% (retirement in Germany) and 53% (retirement in Switzerland).

Just hit 2.5m Euro today. As I would like to retire either in Germany (EUR) or Switzerland (CHF), I follow our networth in both currencies.
Target wise I´m at 81% (retirement in Germany) and 53% (retirement in Switzerland).

What about Portugal like many Americans are?

Broke 1.5 million NW. Much to the success is alternative assets. One of these days I will need to buy a house after the wife retires from the military. I am already retired from the military. My concern, at current housing prices, it most likely take a big chunk of my NW. Oh well, need a place to live.

Broke 1.5 million NW. Much to the success is alternative assets. One of these days I will need to buy a house after the wife retires from the military. I am already retired from the military. My concern, at current housing prices, it most likely take a big chunk of my NW. Oh well, need a place to live.

Congrats. Why not rent? $1.5M in what assets?

i guess there would be no reason not to rent, but would be nice to own my own place. Looking to buy land and get a house built. Found a great farm house plan that looks promising.

Mostly index funds in various retirement and taxable accounts. The alternative assets are in crypto.

What about Portugal like many Americans are?

Good one, never visited Portugal and never thought about it. Having said that, I know Portugal is getting more and more popular for Swiss retirees.

The country is now on my vacation bucket list :greetings10:

Good one, never visited Portugal and never thought about it. Having said that, I know Portugal is getting more and more popular for Swiss retirees.

The country is now on my vacation bucket list :greetings10:

Having been to Portugal a few times and spent much time researching to move there, I will have to say, it's not as desirable as it once was. It fell out of the #1 spot for "most desirable " a couple years back. Reasons for this was the removal of the tax scheme, stipulation changes to Golden Visa, and the excessive increase in price of real-estate. Locals are not as fond of expats because of this. It's pricing the locals out.

Personally, I love the country. Looking to returning. Although, my desire to live there has dissipated.

Back
Top Bottom