Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner
Old 08-29-2020, 03:53 AM   #2341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

49 years old and we hit our "number" for the first time ever this week. Actually its our upgraded number as I reset the goal a few years ago

I always planned on being able to punch out at 50. Right now I could pull the plug and easily live on 3% of the principle. 2.5% would not be difficult at all.

With the markets in crazy mode, I expect we will slip back (substantially) below this level but its still pretty amazing to see it on the screen.

I have two years to go on my employment contract and will likely be employed for a year after that, so plenty of time to push through the market silliness, run up the score a bit, and address some charitable and other goals.

Thanks to everyone on this board. Its a great community that continues to keep me thinking, re-enforces good approaches, and otherwise just creates a fun place to hang out with financially savvy people!

Onward.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Retirement letter is written!
Old 08-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #2342

Retirement letter is written!

I polished up my retirement letter this evening. It is short and sweet and to the point. I just wanted to make sure I added a line about how much I've enjoyed w#rking with my boss over the last few years. He is one of the best few good bosses I've ever had.

This week I will inform him via Zoom that my last day will be 12/31/20.

I wish I could tell him in person, but under the Covid circumstances that is not an option.

This almost feels real!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:10 AM   #2343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

So exciting - congratulations!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 AM   #2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So exciting - congratulations!!!
Thank you!!
Old 08-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #2345
Recycles dryer sheets

Just hit 2 million today cash, no kids but have a business I need to close and liquidate about 1.5 M value. I’m 60 DW is 58 . I am so ready.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #2346
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ You have plenty to call it quits.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #2347
gone traveling

As of today, I have recovered all of my 2020 losses, and achieved a new all time high with my 401K...hoping there is much more success in the future.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #2348
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I polished up my retirement letter this evening. It is short and sweet and to the point. I just wanted to make sure I added a line about how much I've enjoyed w#rking with my boss over the last few years. He is one of the best few good bosses I've ever had.

I wish I could tell him in person, but under the Covid circumstances that is not an option.

This almost feels real!
I so need this for my wife, that has had very few bosses that she liked working for...especially the one she has now.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:34 AM   #2349
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
As of today, I have recovered all of my 2020 losses, and achieved a new all time high with my 401K...hoping there is much more success in the future.
So was at a high in 2007 and then the crash hit and when I finally had the courage to peak some time in 2009 the 401k was less than half, even with contributions. We all called it a 201k. But stayed the course and now over 4 times that peak and over 10 times the 2009 low point.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #2350
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave 2 weeks notice after landing a new gig paying 20% more. Plan still 2023. Once caveat is by leaving current corp, i'll lose defined benefit plan contribution (aka pension contribution) but higher new salary seems to even that up. Some travel involved. Let's see how it pans out !
Old 09-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #2351
Recycles dryer sheets

Just hit 2 million today cash, no kids but have a business I need to close and liquidate about 1.5 M value. I’m 60 DW is 58 . I am so ready

Sounds like a good nest egg numbers !! Good luck. Remember... after 50, it's Time that's more valuable than money so go for it !
Old 09-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #2352
Confused about dryer sheets

We reached FI back in 2018 but kept going for a bit to get us safely under a 4% WR and to meet some more personal career goals. We decided to pull the trigger on part-time work in May (yes, during the pandemic).

We just reviewed our total working hours between the two of us for the month of August and...

We worked a total of just over 80 hours, so about 40 per person. Happily coasting to semi-retirement.

Having more time for our hobbies and each other has been fantastic!
Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #2353

Five minutes ago I broke the 100 day mark:

Attached Images
File Type: png 99 days to go.PNG (72.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #2354
Recycles dryer sheets

This week our Daughter (28 y.o.) joined the 6-digit club! With zero debt! I've been her (unpaid) Financial Advisor since high school.

60% Roth
15% 401k (new job; company matches 100% up to 7.5% contribution)
25% investment account (individual DGI stocks + $5k emergency fund)

We're really proud of her.

Next goal: the elite 2-comma club!

BrianB
Reached My Goal Year Early ... but can't pull the trigger
Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #2355
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reached My Goal Year Early ... but can't pull the trigger

I had set a goal 5 years ago to get to $5M Net Worth ($500K House paid off and $4.5M in IRA and Non IRA money) when I was 55 years old.

After a very roller coaster of a 2020 I have reached the the goal! Unfortunately I can not change my mindset to stop saving and trust my investments to fund my ER.

Than again my mom is 86 years old and still working as a seamstress in a bridal shop still! So maybe ER is not in my genes?!
Old 09-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #2356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly17 View Post
I had set a goal 5 years ago to get to $5M Net Worth ($500K House paid off and $4.5M in IRA and Non IRA money) when I was 55 years old.

After a very roller coaster of a 2020 I have reached the the goal! Unfortunately I can not change my mindset to stop saving and trust my investments to fund my ER.

Than again my mom is 86 years old and still working as a seamstress in a bridal shop still! So maybe ER is not in my genes?!
Remember time is more valuable than money and I would think especially at 5m.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #2357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Remember time is more valuable than money and I would think especially at 5m.

Does your Mom need to still work or like to work? If she needs to still work as a seamstress and you have that much net worth? Maybe help out your Mom?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #2358
Give me a forum ...

I like to look and see from time to time, where I have been financially from historical highs. After looking this morning from where the highs were in February 2020, my portfolio is again higher then at those times.

Milestones keep getting broken even in these pandemic times.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #2359

Reached $400k in net assets in August 2020.

Age 42.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:35 AM   #2360

Congrats to all recent posters!

Just celebrated 3 years of "rehirement". First year I w*rked 25 hours/week, second year 15 hours/week, and now I'm down to 6 hours/week. Having a small income allows me to stay active, deduct health care expenses prior to Medicare (I'm 58), and have some beer/vacation money. Except for the pandemic, really enjoying my free time. Last week I took a full-week woodworking class, this past summer I installed a new crate engine in my musclecar, and have been enjoying evenings on the back screened porch with DW. Life is great!

With the market again approaching all-time highs, I have pulled most funds out of equities....will DCA back in once election craziness is over. I remember last election, market was WILD for about 2 weeks.