Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of a funny milestone, but we finally reached a net worth of $0! Which is good considering it used to be -$150,000 (student loans). With the Army loan repayment program, and my husband and I getting Gazelle intense on the last of our debt, and finally putting money aside for retirement, we now have $32,000 in retirement accounts and $32,000 left of my student loan. $0 never felt so good!

Way to go!

It occurs to me that you would be notionally rich and Have Enough by anyone's standard if you could fly 1st class (full fare/no frequent flyer upgrade) anywhere without batting an eye. It would be like the Starbucks latte splurge. Maybe $10MM?

I'm 36 years old and I just hit 200k in investments (401k, Roth = 180k) and savings (20k). I still have a long way to go, but it does feel good to hit them milestones. "It's not sprint, it's a marathon".

DW (36) and I (40) crossed over the $1 M threshold early this year.

Feels pretty good, but with a two-year old daughter, my number that I would feel FI at has gone up quite a bit. :)

DW is gungho on having another little one real soon, so if that happens we might be stuck at the grindstone quite a while longer.

Go DOW 25k! :)

I wish I had found this site earlier, because I'm retiring in a month lol. We beat the 1M mark in the spring, saving into guaranteed employee programs, then used about $140K to pay off mortgage and buy a new camper. DW inherited an IRA, so I spent time (3 months) studying about the market so I could invest in Vanguard funds. Still have over 900K, plus a $184K in equity, and getting ready to receive a large separation check in June, so I'll be back over the 1M mark shortly lol. DW and I both have pensions (she just retired as well) and June 2, should be on our road trip across America, starting out heading to Denali National Park. Pensions should pay for our living, minor draw from investments should pay for our travel.

All our Milestones in one post!

As of the end of 2012 we were at 0.9 x FI. Mortgage paid off several years ago, so no debt.

Our only child graduates college this May--yippee that's done, so our savings toward RE just got a huge bonus! DH is working again after a long layoff, which helps get us to FI in the next year or so. DH will probably work for a couple more years, but I am looking at really slowing down in the next 12 months and could be RE next spring. We shall see what happens...if the market takes a serious downturn meanwhile, I may hang in another year...It's definitely tough to contemplate giving up the guaranteed paycheck as I get closer.

Let's see:
1) All baseline expenses plus some fun ones fully fundable at 3% draw after another update/review of my expenses....
2) Finally just about got my portfolio the way I want it.

43 and still working....

This is kind of a funny milestone, but we finally reached a net worth of $0! Which is good considering it used to be -$150,000 (student loans). With the Army loan repayment program, and my husband and I getting Gazelle intense on the last of our debt, and finally putting money aside for retirement, we now have $32,000 in retirement accounts and $32,000 left of my student loan. $0 never felt so good!

When DW and I started out, we had approx. $100k in debt. Getting to $0 was a big deal. Investing the money formerly used to pay down debt was an even bigger deal. The good news is that the power of compounding really helps over time.

It took us 13 years to get from -$100k to $1mm. It took two more to get from $1mm to $2mm. (We have kept a net worth balance sheet for the last 17 years) With the stock market at record highs, we just hit a new high in our net worth.

I hit a milestone recently. The dividends from my stocks in my taxable brokerage account should cover at least 1/4 of my yearly living expenses indefinitely from now on.

For about the last ten years I've been putting about half of my savings into retirement accounts and half into a brokerage account for early semi-retirement. I'm 38 and my goal is that by 45 my brokerage account investments will be able to cover 1/2 of my living expenses indefinitely.

At that point I could theoretically ESR by working part-time for half of my living expenses and subsidized health care, and use my investments to cover the rest.

It took about 10 year to hit the half way point. Hopefully I can finish the second half in only 7 years.

If I do ESR then the plan is to work part-time until I can withdraw SS, pension, and 401k/roth. At that point I could fully retire.

A recent milestone is we locked in a refi on our mortgage at a rate of 3.5% for 30yrs. We're 31 years old, and are roughly at $400k net worth (90k of that is estimated home equity). Looking at my projection spreadsheet makes me feel pretty good lately. :dance:

I think my most important milestone was when I reached, what I believed, was financial independence. I had probably met it earlier but I have a fiscally conservative outlook.

After about six months or so my attitude changed. I went from being concerned about being a victim of a downsize, with all the financial concerns that it brings, to having a much more carefree attitude. It was essentially if you want to downsize me bring it on- not that that I particularly wanted this. It was very liberating.

Fast forward a few years and I was more than ready for the downsize that came-and I discretely welcomed it. I knew what the settlement should look like and I had tentatively selectied counsel to represent me in the settlement agreement. When it came it was like winning the lottery. I lived through twenty years of downsizing, and had to do some of it myself. There is nothing like being prepared for the big chop. It can happen to anyone at any time.

Milestones...
First time in 23 years that we've spent winter "up-north"... Just to remember what cold and snow was like.
May also be the last "tax free" year since retirement in 1989. :( (poverty has advantages):cool:

Now unemployed for 24 years.:clap:

Another milestone - got accepted into an MFA programme (creative writing).:dance:

Since the course starts before my official retirement, I might have some interesting scheduling issues for a few months.

Wednesday's market gain put our total investments + savings at $1.5 million - the number I had targeted years ago as our goal needed for me to consider retirement.

Of course, its not guaranteed to stay at this level with this market and I have no expectations... but it is a good feeling to see that number, if only for a day. :)

Hit $3M net worth earlier this year. Age 43. DW 45.

Kids still in school, so next milestone is getting them out of HS and into college.

No FIRE date yet, but most likely soon....do i wait til kids are out of hs, out of college, or somewhere in between :confused: who knows.

Knowing we could safely FIRE today.... priceless.
Seeing kids thrive and develop....priceless
Being in reasonable health.... more than priceless.

Cash Account: 1750K
Deferred Income: 425K
401K/IRA 625K
House 200K

TOTAL 3000K

Debt NONE

Small Milestone

Reached $400,000 in 401K accounts. Age 36 - continuing to stash $$ away in tax deferred accounts at a rate of $40,000/yr until FIRE at around 59.5.

I remember about 4 years ago telling my boss I had reached financial independence. He said nothing, just staring at me. I tried to explain what FI was. I don't think he ever looked at the future that way, as a plan. Or work as a means to an end.

Happy to report that there is more in the bank now than when I retired. Woopee!! (class of 2010)

It took us 13 years to get from -$100k to $1mm. It took two more to get from $1mm to $2mm. (We have kept a net worth balance sheet for the last 17 years) With the stock market at record highs, we just hit a new high in our net worth.

Wow, the jump from 1M to 2M is certainly encouraging!

In the last several months, I hit several milestones - the value of my 401k rolled from 6 figures to 7 figures :); my employer offered me an incentive to retire early, which I accepted :D; and I paid off the mortgage on the house :dance:.

Hit another milestone yesterday. I hit the $800k mark in my taxable accounts. I first hit the $700k mark in 2010 so it took a while to advance another $100k.

I would like to know how you jumped from 1MM to 2MM in two years. Whatever you did, I'd like to do. . .

I'm 42. Start saving in 1998 when we're married. It took 6 years to reach $100k mark. With diligent LBYM and some luck of not making big mistake, this month, our net worth hit a BIG milestone $1M. Although, most of it is equity of primary resident and a rental. I'm pretty humble with with this achievement. Looking back 20 yrs ago, both DW and I came to this country with no English and about $20 in our pocket.

As of late last week we crossed $750k in retirement/cash accounts for the first time. I'm sure we'll end up a bit below that after today's stock sell-off.

Anyway, $750k is significant for us because it's 1/2 what we think we'll need for ESR. With any luck our contributions + market appreciation will get us to $1.5M in about 7-8 years, just as we finish paying off the mortgage.

Celebrate a new milestone on your journey to FIRE with us! Did you just pay off your mortgage, reach financial independence, or pass a nice round number on your way to FI? Tell us of your accomplishments here!

After a market down day like today, I will be revisiting some old milestones.
I hate when that happens.. The curse of Beta ;-)

I would like to know how you jumped from 1MM to 2MM in two years. Whatever you did, I'd like to do. . .

There's no real magic. Save aggressively, invest for the long term and get a little lucky. Two good years for the markets coincided with my two best earning years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom