Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reached 50X expenses. Holy smokes. Never in a million years would I have thought this possible.

DW still works.
I became a lazy bum in 2018.

Sorry if I sound like a braggart - I don't mean to. But I have no one else to share this with other than my wife.

This is one of the few places where you can scream from the mountaintop that "I made it" without being a braggart. Congrats and serve as an inspiration for others still climbing the mountain. :D

I'm sure everyone has just crossed another line. Congratulations to everyone and I don't see it as braggart here on this site one bit. I'm happy for everyone no matter where you rank as a millionaire.

This is one of the few places where you can scream from the mountaintop that "I made it" without being a braggart. Congrats and serve as an inspiration for others still climbing the mountain. :D

Thank you both! And congrats to all! :dance:

First post on this site for me. Been lurking for a while and am impressed with the attitude and knowledge of the posters on this site. Turned 52 today and we site at a bit over $4.5M (w/o house). Had been targeting $5M @ 55 as our goal and with the recent market rally, this now seems reasonably achievable.

Welcome Srblanco7, and happy birthday. Excellent job, looks like you'll achieve your goal!

Thanks to another up day in the market, we passed the 3.5 mark! Sure to go below a few times at least in the near future before it sticks, but nice to see another marker passed for the first time.

Just broke 1.5 million today. This is our magic number and I told my boss I’m outta there after bonuses come. 100 days to ER!!! I haven’t felt so calm and free for quite some time. I had a hard time deciding to leave a 200k/year job that I worked my a$$ off to get, but it’s the only thing that feels right. Looking forward to getting time with my 6 year old while he still wants to talk to me.

Congrats. 6 yr old ? so you are still young I suppose. Nice to be able to tell your boss that you're out.

-- $200k in retirement accounts
-- Purchased 2 more investment properties this year with 20-30% equity
-- Total equity of my Real Estate portfolio is now $1M+
-- No CC or Car Loans

Focusing now on investing more in Mutual Funds and MAX OUT my ROTH and hopefully ER in 10-12 years!

Paid off my mortgage in year 11 of a 30 year mortgage. For the next 13 years I aggressively every month bought into the markets through mutual funds regardless of market conditions. I FIRE'd because I could. I then gave my notice and walked away from MegaCorp. 2009 market conditions was tough but I always kept my eye on the prize. Living below your means and simple healthy living helps get there too.

Last edited:
Reached 50X expenses. Holy smokes. Never in a million years would I have thought this possible.

DW still works.

Sorry if I sound like a braggart - I don't mean to. But I have no one else to share this with other than my wife.
Congrats to you. This is the only place we can talk about these things. I completely get it. Our net worth is also 50x expenses, but investments are only([emoji23]) 47x. My DH still works too.

My fidelity account hit 3.5 million today, net worth is 5.6m ...feels REALLY good! Admittedly sometimes I wonder how this happened. I am just a blue collar guy who wears a tool belt for a living with no college education. I buy whatever I want whenever I want it. I feel very fortunate to have reached this level.

Congratulations to everyone else on your milestones. I like to read about other peoples successes.

My fidelity account hit 3.5 million today, net worth is 5.6m ...feels REALLY good! Admittedly sometimes I wonder how this happened. I am just a blue collar guy who wears a tool belt for a living with no college education. I buy whatever I want whenever I want it. I feel very fortunate to have reached this level.

Congratulations to everyone else on your milestones. I like to read about other peoples successes.

Wow, that's really impressive. Congratulations!

Paid off the last $3.5k of my mortgage today! :dance: (I actually left about $20 balance on the principal just so that they simply pay my 2020 taxes from the escrow as scheduled. I'll clean up the rest and close it out in January.)

We paid off the Mortgage *I think :)

Two days ago I used the online portal to pay the amount they show as the Payoff (which you can have the system generate which includes some interest and a $10 mortgage satisfaction fee), but the online portal kicked back my attempted payment saying my payment was in excess of the $170,525.57 they show as the outstanding balance.

So next I paid the $170,525.57 showing as the outstanding balance. It was a little anti-climatic, because unlike transferring money from one account to another, which is instantaneous, the mortgage page showed the outstanding balance as $170,525.57, but with a pending payment of $170,525.57.

After a day I guess they decided to credit the $170,525.57 payment (through it still shows as pending), and the new balance said $1,239.48 (which seems to be @ $700 more than I recall the difference between the earlier "payoff" and the "outstanding balance."

Anyway, rechecked the "payoff" amount, which was $1,249.69 (they want and extra $10 to record the satisfaction, plus presumably a few pennies for interest), and tried to pay that figure last night. Nope, once again, the online portal kicked it back saying the $1,249.69 (the exact amount they say they want) was in excess of the $1,239.48 they show on the screen as the outstanding balance.

So I enter in the $1,239.48 figure, and now the mortgage page shows the outstanding balance as $1,239.48, but with a pending payment of $1,239.48. Once again, anti-climatic since I want to see $0, but I suspect it will reflect the new amount in a day or two.

Fortunately property taxes were just paid on 12/2, so that won't be an immediate worry.

Maybe they will take the $10 they want to record the satisfaction, plus the few pennies for the extra day of interest on $1,239.48 from the remains $916.49 in escrow and I can finally be debt free.

Cars are paid for. CHECK
Three kids' college paid for. CHECK
House paid for. CHECK
7-figures in the retirement accounts. CHECK
Solid 6-figures in non-retirement accounts. CHECK

Edging closer and closer to FIRE.

Last edited:
So I enter in the $1,239.48 figure, and now the mortgage page shows the outstanding balance as $1,239.48, but with a pending payment of $1,239.48. Once again, anti-climatic since I want to see $0, but I suspect it will reflect the new amount in a day or two.

My congraulations [pending] :D:LOL:

The last few months have been oddly good to me financially, bringing me to 47x my target retirement yearly spend in savings (but no property)

Still young (<40), unmarried, no house. The target yearly spending in retirement is over 70% higher than what I actually spend in a typical year, but I'm hoping that a large enough nest egg will give me the comfort to be better about spending money in the future.

Planning to keep padding the nest egg for the next five to ten years and then challenge myself to never let money be a factor in choosing whether and where to work again.

What about home furniture?
What do you think you could realistically get if you tried to sell your furniture? I've sold a lot of things through local groups over the years, and I've posted a LOT more than I've ever sold, a lot of it winds up being donated or trashed. Sometimes I repost it for free just to get rid of it; I've done that with furniture, light fixtures, you name it. You'd have to sell it for very little to be assured of selling it all off, so I would say most people couldn't get more than $1-5K for furniture and home furnishings, not a significant addition to NW. You can sometimes get floor models or returned products with tiny blemishes for 50-75% off, so I'd say 25% of your purchase price is the MOST you can expect for the best of it.

We hit $1.5M NW
He hit $100k investible and more importantly achieved 2 years employed at a fortune 500 company. For many that may seem like an odd comment, but some people struggle significantly with the big corporate culture and thus take jobs that pay a fraction of what they could make, making FI nearly impossible. Its been a decade long struggle for us, first to get him in the door (as those companies like resumes to look a certain way, worked a certain companies for x years, with Y job titles, its been a multi-phase journey), then it was finding a fit where he could manage the day to day BS.

DW still works.

fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom