Skimpy retirement savings? Don't worry!

Looks like the article got our attention. I'm glad I have Ad Blocks so they didn't sell me a thing.

I do like the author's attitude a bit better than those who keep working at jobs that are making them miserable year after year in hopes that wasting their life in that way will lead to RE'ing a few years earlier.

The real answer seems to be finding activities that allow you to support yourself and save for the future while simultaneously enjoying each precious moment as time flows through the hour glass.

Last edited:
Early forties, eh?

Be interesting to read a follow up in ten, fifteen and twenty years....bet she changes her tune!

Where does the money go?

Unfortunately, in America today, the difference between being sick and being healthy, and the difference between dying or recovering, is often dependent on the quality of care that you can afford.
This is something I don't get an explanation for anywhere. It's crazy that ordinary people can't afford quality care. The problem is that the price of delivering health care in America bears zero relationship to its cost.

A friend of mine had knee surgery. The sticker price was $165k. But thanks to "negotiated rates", his insurance was billed only $15k, and his co-pay was 20%, or 3000 bucks. The three grand might actually be the true cost of performing the operation: an hour or so of a surgeon, anesthesiologist, some pre-op, op, and post-op nursing, plus assorted bits and bobs like suture and bandages and sterilizing hemostats, etc.

So what was the point of the original invoice for 165k? Was the hospital losing money on the deal? Ha ha ha - good one, Mdlerth! That 165 large was entirely fictional. Did the medical industry score 12 thousand in profit? Was it all sucked away by the malpractice industry? I have no idea. But obviously the actual cost of the service wasn't anywhere close to the quoted price.

If my friend didn't have insurance, it would have been out of the question for him to get the surgery. But if "negotiation" can shave 90% off the bill, then the bill clearly was nonsense. Makes you wonder how much of the remaining 15k also was artificial.

Sorry to have wandered off-topic. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Just go on telling yourself that...everything will work out in the end!

In the face of failure, or lack of trying, or lack of opportunity, or intelligence, maybe this is the only option.

why 10x markup on hospital costs

This is something I don't get an explanation for anywhere. It's crazy that ordinary people can't afford quality care. The problem is that the price of delivering health care in America bears zero relationship to its cost.

A friend of mine had knee surgery. The sticker price was $165k. But thanks to "negotiated rates", his insurance was billed only $15k, and his co-pay was 20%, or 3000 bucks. The three grand might actually be the true cost of performing the operation: an hour or so of a surgeon, anesthesiologist, some pre-op, op, and post-op nursing, plus assorted bits and bobs like suture and bandages and sterilizing hemostats, etc.

In my state, auto insurance policies are mandated to have embedded medical coverage and to pay the "going rate" ie the rack rate to medical providers.

If you go to an ER with anything that remotely looks like an auto related accident, they will ask you dozens of times how you hurt yourself. 10x income for the same service is worth a few extra questions to them.

There were proposals to limit the reimbursement to 150% of Medicare, but the insurance industry is very strong politically here.

-gauss

Last edited:
The rest of the story is today. Life is good. Alive and well. And so, while I respect everyone who makes plans for the future, when it comes to the end game, I'd have to agree with the subject of the article.

Glad you are here! My 45 yr old sister is battling stage 4 colon cancer. Very positive attitude, will have her second scan end of the month. Hoping it's shrunk enough for some surgery. On some crazy trials, the 2018 nobel price winner James Allison put out this drug. His research is now being used to treat Colon cancer as my sister is a recipient.

Nobel Prize Goes to Researchers Behind New Cancer Immune Therapy | Time

We are really hoping for the best, this guys seems bright, and my sister is blessed to have his research and treatment plan behind her.

I like this article!! For me my planning was easy I have a pension plan.

Since I retired my spending is nil and none. I wake up everyday and think I am blessed, I have my health, a roof over my head, enough money to pay bills and save some and people to love and who love me.

As the writer put it why worry it just adds to my stress is right, planning and taking action is what works :)

"When all else fails, I simply remind myself that things always work out in the end."

Translation: When all else fails, I have people I can turn to, who will figure out what to do.

Not true for all, especially with aging.

Back
Top Bottom