So thrilled with the market right now!

^ Thanks. Always learning something here it just amazes me.

With the positive gains of .15% (DJ) yesterday and the jar of coins on the countertop I hit a milestone once again. Lol I will see how long I can claim that number. Lol

Last edited:
If the Fed continued its tone like last December, we would have been in hell. Im sure Jerome Powell got an earfull from tons of people after that. He, Yellen, and Bernanke all came out to change the tone of the Feds and halt the bear market. Occasionally we still get an inverted yield curve, and i hope it means nothing.

Last edited:
Having the price of my stocks going up sure feels good.

But how do I know a bubble is not inflating somewhere, and if it is going to hurt me financially later down the road?

Here's the historical chart of the Fed funds rate.

1280px-Federal_funds_rate_history_and_recessions.jpg

... And in investing, timing is of utmost importance. ...
I dropped into this thread, seeing how long it was, just out of curiosity. This snippet made me smile.

Timing is definitely of utmost importance. Also, as Will Rogers advised about stocks: "If it doesn't go up, don't buy it."

But neither statement is actionable. Market timing beyond pure luck is known to be impossible, and we don't have the crystal balls necessary to take Rogers' advice either.

I'm finding this a great time to rebalance my portfolio to a more conservative style. I'm sure it will still climb after I sell stocks, but I think I'll be able to sleep better when the bull dies at some point.

+1

A Blast from the past:

After consulting my crystal ball, I can do better than that. I can definitively predict that the S&P500 will double from today's value of 954.58 "sometime" in the next 40 years....

The crystal ball knows the future. It just doesn't have the communication skills we tend to expect!

I hadn't thought of it like that. Yeah, I guess if I put a big down payment on it, or paid cash, and the market crashed right after, I'd count myself lucky.

But, what's probably going to happen, is that if I pay cash for something major like that, the market will then skyrocket. If I finance, the market will drop, so I can whine about the monthly payments all the way down... :mad:

If the market tanks, I figure the economy will also and the repo man will be busy. The dealer lots will be full of pickup trucks and then I can get my almost-new rig for a song. I’ve been waiting 3 years for this to happen.

After thinking about the market some more, I decide to sell more call options on Monday, particularly on my tech stocks that have gone up the most YTD.

If I end up getting assigned then so be it. It will bring down my stock AA which is at 70% now, and with too much tech stock at that.

I just don't see company profits keeping going up and up from here to justify further stock price increases. The chance of these stocks going up is less than of them going down. I am going to book my profits.

Taking a little off the table by rebalancing from 57% to 55% stocks.

1/2% from matching the Jan highs. You can do it!
Another 3-4% rise in markets and I'll probably reduce stocks 3%; that would give me more than 2 years withdrawals in cash/short-term in the account from which I'm withdrawing.

The online part-time gig is up next year and I'll still be 4 years from normal SS, so stacking some cash doesn't sound bad. In 3 years I can withdraw from DW's IRAs, so that will help, psychologically.

Doing Well

Our total portfolio was up 15% in Q1. Should have been higher but I find myself with more in cash than I normally would have, simply because the stock market over the last two years has advanced so much. Keep looking for opportunities and some do present themselves, but may have to wait for the next significant downturn to employ a bunch of that cash. Glad you are doing well and enjoying your returns, my friend.

I have had quite the volatile ride, but portfolio is way up.

(Darn those robo-investers. They are going to give me ulcers.)

MW-FE528_robo_c_20170126120222_ZH.jpg

If the market tanks, I figure the economy will also and the repo man will be busy. The dealer lots will be full of pickup trucks and then I can get my almost-new rig for a song. I’ve been waiting 3 years for this to happen.

Y'know, that's a good way of looking at things! I'm kindasorta in the market for a new car. I want a Dodge Charger. I just looked, and noticed some of the dealers still have brand-new 2018's on the lot! So I guess it's not selling that well right now. If the market tanks, I guess the deals will get really good!

As for the market in general, if today's pace keeps up, it should put me back to the point where I can call myself "made whole again" in the wake of that little fiasco we had at the end of 2018. :)

Despite a slight falter yesterday, my portfolio is still giving me all time highs almost every day! Right now my all time high was Tuesday.

I think it's been a thrilling and exciting ride, even though I suppose it can't last forever.

The market was bad. But now it's good, forever!

- Zoidberg

Back
Top Bottom