So thrilled with the market right now!

Yes, the market's definitely doing better than expected so far this year - but just for "fun", compare portfolio value on 1/1/18 to now.

I'm up 9.2% YTD (excluding cash returns) on a conservative portfolio, but only up 2.8% total since 1/1/18..my International funds - especially International Value, really killed returns for me last year..(same portfolio was down 5.9% total for all of 2018)..

We had a 19+% correction in the S&P late last year, so that counts as a minimal bear market to me. Now is nice, but don't think it is the new normal as the bear will return.

That sounded an awful lot like a "whee". Watch out below!!!!

I just finished adding everything up this morning, and it looks like I'm up about 14% for 2019 YTD. Another 1%, and I'll be back to about where I was at the end of September 2018 (taking withdrawals and contributions since then into account).

Once I can get that additional 1%, I will consider myself "made whole" again, after the annoyance of that Oct-Dec 2018 timeframe.

(No, this is not an April Fool's Day joke....)

The Dow may not be at a record high today, but at 26,258 it's getting downright stratospheric. :D

My investment portfolio has hit an all time high once again today, despite being very conservatively invested, despite being retired and not in accumulation phase, and despite buying my wonderful Dream Home in the summer of 2015. I know that the stock market is a roller coaster, but still, I sure never expected the market to stay so strong for the past ten years.

As you may notice, I did not utter the dreaded "W" word in this post (as I did back in 2007), so maybe this time it will keep going up, and up, and up! :dance: :clap: :dance: How's your portfolio doing?
Doing as best as it possibly can, up above all three indexes YTD so my horses are winning.

The Dow may not be at a record high today, but at.... it's getting downright stratospheric.

Just remember that every record day since the Dow began was probably considered 'stratospheric'. There was a day when Dow 800 was considered 'high'...and that was within our lifetimes!

I'm not gonna let myself be thrilled, because otherwise I'd have to be crestfallen during the dips.

I wasn't miserable in December, so I can't be ecstatic now!

1987 - Down 22% in one day! I was in the market!
I was too. I also worked at a large transfer agent doing support for their trading systems. Dog gone things broke in ways nobody had ever seen.

Who the heck heard of running out of a virtual resource. We had to pretend those existed, now I ran out?

(No, this is not an April Fool's Day joke....)

The Dow may not be at a record high today, but at 26,258 it's getting downright stratospheric. :D

My investment portfolio has hit an all time high once again today, despite being very conservatively invested, despite being retired and not in accumulation phase, and despite buying my wonderful Dream Home in the summer of 2015. I know that the stock market is a roller coaster, but still, I sure never expected the market to stay so strong for the past ten years.

As you may notice, I did not utter the dreaded "W" word in this post (as I did back in 2007), so maybe this time it will keep going up, and up, and up! :dance: :clap: :dance: How's your portfolio doing?

Don't ruin it by pointing it out!!!! :LOL:

I'm not gonna let myself be thrilled, because otherwise I'd have to be crestfallen during the dips.

I wasn't miserable in December, so I can't be ecstatic now!
+1. In the quarter just past, we had some of our best returns - BUT the quarter before was just the opposite.

I wasn't concerned in Jan, and I'm not really thrilled now. As long as the ups outweigh the downs long term, we're fine. YMMV

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Yeah.

Just whatever - if the retirement portfolio AA gets away from target enough, I'll be rebalancing.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for HSA funds to transfer. The equity market has done a drop, a run up, another drop, and another run up since we pulled out from funds waiting to transfer. At the same time interest rates and dropped considerably, but now climbing out of that significant drop.

You never know......

I was just thinking...if I can get another 1.2% increase in my return, on a dollar basis, that will make 2019 my best year, ever. However, does it really count, considering much of that was bouncing off of a low?

To put it in perspective, my best year ever, on a $ basis (rather than %), was 2017. But, it felt like a really great year, because it was a nice increase over a string of positive years (2012-2016...I actually lost a tiny bit in 2011).

Overall, I guess ponderings like this are relatively meaningless, as there are so many factors at play. And, over time it will be easier to keep breaking those dollars-made records, simply because the starting balance is (usually) growing over time, so it takes a smaller percent gain to get that bigger dollar amount.

But, let's say we're comparing percentages. Say, I made 20% in 2017, and 21% in 2019. Just looking at those percentages, most people would say 2019 was the better year. But, without looking at the whole picture, I guess it's hard to tell. It's probably only really meaningful, if you're comparing a new investor who just put their money in at the beginning of 2017, to a new investor who just put their money in at the beginning of 2019.

Anyway, don't pay too much to this, it's just kinda mindless rambling :p

My new Tesla Model X is getting more and more paid for - so I'm not complaining. And I guess the W-word is the one I make when I push the acceerator in my car? :cool:

I'm with the rest that say good and happy with the market. However after taking the longer term perspective, the recent quarter and the preceding quarter are just part of the larger overall market returns. I do admit the past 5 years has been a nice runup, no complaints there.

My new Tesla Model X is getting more and more paid for - so I'm not complaining. And I guess the W-word is the one I make when I push the acceerator in my car? :cool:
That's it! :D

I really should go buy that new Highlander that I have been thinking about. I really don't need a new car so I keep procrastinating. Plus, there are several other models of SUV that seem pretty wonderful, too.

Interesting fellow. Also responsible for choosing SP index funds. Based on his books, listed below, sounds like his investing philosophy matches well with many of us: (from Wiki)

Blitzer is the author of Outpacing the Pros: Using Indices to Beat Wall Street’s Savviest Money Managers, (McGraw-Hill, 2001) and What’s the Economy Trying to Tell You? Everyone’s Guide to Understanding and Profiting from the Economy, (McGraw-Hill, 1997).

This thread doesn't count as a jinx without that snail on a turtle graphic (or whatever it was).

That's it! :D

I really should go buy that new Highlander that I have been thinking about. I really don't need a new car so I keep procrastinating. Plus, there are several other models of SUV that seem pretty wonderful, too.

I've been wanting a Dodge Charger for years now, but kept procrastinating. But, today I started smelling a slight hint of antifreeze, in my 2003 Regal. It goes in the shop on Wednesday. Hate to say it, but there's a part of me that's hoping for some major repair, to FORCE me to ditch it, and upgrade.

Of course, the moment I do that, the market will crash and I'll whine about buying a new car at the wrong time! :p

1987 - Down 22% in one day! I was in the market!
I remember exactly where I was that day. And the panic. TG for DH. He said "time to buy more."

We have 2 more years to sit back, watch and wait. Leaving portfolio alone until then.

If you take money out, and then the market crashes, doesn't that make you a genius?

I hadn't thought of it like that. Yeah, I guess if I put a big down payment on it, or paid cash, and the market crashed right after, I'd count myself lucky.

But, what's probably going to happen, is that if I pay cash for something major like that, the market will then skyrocket. If I finance, the market will drop, so I can whine about the monthly payments all the way down... :mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom