Soc Sec spousal increase

mattbaxx

Recycles dryer sheets
My dad passed in Feb and his wife delayed in filing for survivor benefit and spousal increase. Her October check did increase to dad’s former benefit but she thinks she is entitled to retro payment of the missed increase from Mar to Sep. Wondering if anyone knows if it is true and worth pursuing?

Yes, it sounds like she should receive it, however it all depends on how she filed. If she filed to start in September and didn't request back to DOD then that's what SS will do. Do know if she filed properly? I would call SS and pursue it.

ETA: Was/is she full retirement age?

Thanks. Good to know it's worth pursuing. No idea if she filed properly, as she applied with her son's help, and I'm dealing with the fallout on the back end. She's 88, so yes, full retirement age. Sounds like some phone time with SS on Monday is warranted.

Is this an area where SS will only make-up 6 months max. of retroactive payments? I’ve read that is their policy in other areas, but I don’t think I’ve ever read about this particular situation.

My DFIL passed last November and my sister and mom meet with SS in January (as I remember) to finalize any issues.

I watch DM's bank account on-line and she got a big additional check in June in addition to her normal SS check. It appears that she also finally got stepped up to DFIL's SS amount with her August check.

Back
Top Bottom