Social Security Hits 1st Wave of Boomers

Social Security Online has a bunch of resources as well.

Interesting!!! At that that link, I clicked on something and found this, here:

Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to: A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.) Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits.

I was married for 23 years, and don't plan to apply for SS until 66. My ex will be getting probably twice the SS I would get, and (while he is alive) at age 66 I could only get mine or half his, which makes it "six of one, half a dozen of the other" so to speak. But if he croaks, this says I could get his full benefit!!! :eek: I hope he doesn't (no reason to think he will), but it's an interesting tidbit.

Last edited:
My ex will be getting probably twice the SS I would get, and (while he is alive) at age 66 I could only get mine or half his, which makes it "six of one, half a dozen of the other" so to speak. But if he croaks, this says I could get his full benefit!!! :eek:

Oh boy, another thing to worry about. (He says, while looking over his shoulder for XDW.)

I took a reduced survivor benefit at 60 and I'm switching to my benefit at 66 since my benefit is slightly higher.

Back
Top Bottom