Invest Social Security??

Flyfish1

Recycles dryer sheets
I am SURE this topic has been discussed but I did a quick search and didn't find it immediately, so being lazy I'll just put it out there.

My retirement plans never counted on Social Security as a needed income. It will be great when I actually receive it, but it's icing on the cake. So, I'm on a nice sunny but cold walk in the park this morning and I'm thinking what if I take SS early at 62 and start to invest that money? I'm an income investor like some folks on the forum, I only have 12% of AUMM (Assets Under My Management ) in traditional buy and hold. I could invest the SS money in income producing dividend stocks and funds that will last after I am gone ( assuming the kids don't liquidate everything..) It would enable me to be a little more generous with giving, gifting, etc..

I realize waiting to FRA gives me more SS, as this was the original plan. But if I invest starting at age 62 and reinvest a percentage of the dividend stream it could be a nice addition.

I haven't gone through the math in any detail, Just curious if anyone else has done a similar thing? Thx.

I suspect few here have done that. It's taking a low-risk asset (SS) and converting it to an asset at higher risk of loss. For retirement, most prefer a combo of non-risk and risk assets.

I suspect few here have done that. It's taking a low-risk asset (SS) and converting it to an asset at higher risk of loss. For retirement, most prefer a combo of non-risk and risk assets.

Yep, SS is our main risk-free "investment." Although I expect a serious haircut when congresscritters finally get around to fixing the program, whatever is left will almost certainly continue to be inflation adjusted and last as long as we do...

Back
Top Bottom