Soft Saving

TickTock

Full time employment: Posting here.
Fair Warning: Rant coming...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/ret...&cvid=b2856d9b49d649fd8e8f33027f73f22e&ei=139

"I don't see myself retiring at all."

Okay... so you intend to work until you die... that may work for some jobs...

But you buy your dog thousands of dollars "in sweaters and silk scarves"

And I'm okay with that - it's your money and you can spend it as you see fit.

JUST DON'T *EVER* - complain to me that things are expensive or that you can't afford something.

"Instead of manically saving for a future that’s not promised, Gen Zers are investing their money into their personal growth and mental well-being."

Note the slant, "manically saving" - is there a space between that and 'soft saving'?

In the early 90s, DW and I both worked. We spent money on a maid cleaning service twice a month to do the heavy cleaning that we didn't want to do. Women at DWs workplace looked down on us, "Oh, it must be nice to have the money to pay a maid."

Fine. But you buy a new dress every Saturday and you and your husband drink bar-priced beer. If you skipped that twice a month, you could afford the same service. So I don't judge you on how you spend your money, don't judge me on how I spend mine.

But she also said this:
"Do your best to say, ‘OK, even though maybe I'm not saving the full amount to build my cash cushion or home down payment or for retirement, I'm still going to put something over there. And then next year, work to increase it.”

Ladd puts 100% of her brand dealership revenue — which she estimates at roughly $4,000 to $5,000 a month — into her savings and is working on building an emergency fund to cover three to six months’ worth of expenses.

So she's not being totally irresponsible.

So I don't judge you on how you spend your money, don't judge me on how I spend mine.

I don't think the person in the article is judging you, but you are judging them?

Maybe it's just me, but if I see a silly story, I don't spend any time on it.

Maybe it's just me, but if I see a silly story, I don't spend any time on it.

When the story mentions TicTok, that's your sign that the story is probably worthless. (Edit: no offense to the OP)

That and the use of the word "boujie" (or it's various spellings).

Last edited:
I'd say be more cognizant of where you source articles about financial topics. Certain websites & content producers will, as a rule, be nothing but click-bait trash. MSN.com most assuredly falls into that category.

This kind of thing makes me feel like I'm quoting that redneck comedian (Jeff Foxworthy?) ... "Here's your sign" ...

- If you have to click through "slides" on their website or need scroll past multitudinous ads that get more real estate on the webpage than the actual "article" content ... you're probably reading click-bait trash.

- If the "article" is presented in a video format ... you're probably watching click-bait trash.

- If the "article" has a headline that presents a numbered list of the "Top 20 [whatever]" or tries to draw in your curiosity with a half-finished, enticing statement such as "Here's why [whatever]" or "You'll never guess what [ludicrous claim]"... you're probably reading click-bait trash.

- If simple reason causes you to see the "article" and without looking at it immediately think "Well, obviously, [this] is the answer/explanation." ... you're probably reading click-bait trash.

- If the "article" references social media posts/videos/other click-bait trash as a primary source of information ... you're probably reading click-bait trash.

- If it's written with language that sounds like it's quoting your teenagers ... you're probably reading click-bait trash.

.... Wow, building this list is actually kinda fun. Maybe this should become a thread topic of its own... :LOL: :popcorn:

Last edited:
You can use the Brave browser to eliminate ads from websites.

When I do that, I have a simple article explaining soft saving with a personal example, and all on one page...

This kind of thing makes me feel like I'm quoting that redneck comedian (Jeff Foxworthy?) ... "Here's your sign" ...

Bill Engvall is the "Here's your sign ..." guy.

Jeff Foxworthy is the "You might be a redneck if ... " guy.

When the story mentions TicTok, that's your sign that the story is probably worthless. (Edit: no offense to the OP)

None taken. :)

That handle is back to 2007, well before TikTok launched. It was intended to tie into to "E" aspect of FIRE.

Fair Warning: Rant coming...
I should have heeded your warning cuz your rant is about nuttin'. Why should you care if the author chooses to live a lifestyle different than the one you led?

In the early 90s, DW and I both worked. We spent money on a maid cleaning service twice a month to do the heavy cleaning that we didn't want to do. Women at DWs workplace looked down on us, "Oh, it must be nice to have the money to pay a maid."

I'm confused. What does this have to do with being a citizen of Earth in the midst of history? Having a house cleaning service come in twice a month is hardly radical and having someone think that that must be nice but they can't afford it wouldn't be unusual.

And, just curious, is there a difference between a house cleaning service and what you called a "maid cleaning service?" Are you saying that you had a full time maid and then hired a cleaning service to come in twice a month to clean her? You know......... A maid cleaning service that comes in and cleans your maid like a pool cleaning service comes in and cleans your pool? Now that would start some gossip at your DW's workplace!

Anyway, relax, breath deeply and remember not to click on crap that might get ya all worked up over nuttin'. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
Ok... The article was about a person who decided not to save like crazy and retire at 30. Instead she is "investing for wealth" and enjoying life. And she was setting a good work/life balance... Not easy for attorneys, like her. I didn't see any negative in the message... So she's not earmarking her savings for retirement... doesn't mean she won't retire comfortably... especially if she's putting $4k-5k/month into savings/investments.

Would I spend money on scarfs for my dog... nope. But she can afford it and it makes her happy.

Re-read the article before you rant some more.

A wise old gentleman gave some good advice when I was young and commenting on other peoples lifestyle decisions.

He told me "Just watch your own bobber son"

I do not see a reason, or am puzzled by, any "ranting" on this article. The subject of the article seems more normal - saving money for the future while still enjoying life in the present. No mention of going into debt for spending. Mention of budgeting to determine how much one can spend - good.

"I don't see myself retiring at all" - at that age, neither did I, even though I was saving and investing for the future. My parents, who were very frugal, also told us to "be sure to enjoy life as you save your money", For example, DW and I would "splurge 10-20% of the bonuses I received on some enjoyable family activity and purchase.

More power to "soft saving", which I thought was just "normal". Many younger FIREd folks seem to really be "working at something I enjoy that I can set my own hours to". I will always remember, during the pandemic, of the number of young "FIREd" folks who, when their side hustles dried up, were suddenly panicking and saying they needed to find work. That, in my view, is not "FIRE" :).

I think the only thing that annoys me, is how people come up with some new phrase, such as "soft saving" and then act like they invented the concept. But maybe the age old "Striking a Balance" just doesn't sound trendy enough? At least, that's what I always called it. Striking a balance between saving for the future, and enjoying today.

Back
Top Bottom