Sprint's 55+ cellphone plan

The one thing I wonder about is they limit the data speed on 4G LTE phones to 8Mbps and I always wonder if I would notice the difference from regular unlimited 4G LTE speed?

As mentioned above, I have the $25/line Cricket unlimited plan which limits data speed to 3Mbbs max. Perhaps I'm not all that discerning when it comes to speeds on my phone, but I really haven't noticed any significant lag in downloading stuff. Those cat videos on Youtube work just fine. :)

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I have the $25/line Cricket unlimited plan which limits data speed to 3Mbbs max. Perhaps I'm not all that discerning when it comes to speeds on my phone, but I really haven't noticed any significant lag in downloading stuff. Those cat videos on Youtube work just fine. :)

Similar experience. Music streaming, video streaming all work fine. Browsing, page loads, scrolling, none of that is affected by a capped data. On my phone I can't tell the difference between HD and SD video. It is a 5" screen.

Let's say that an app download takes 20 seconds vs 45 seconds with a 3mb capped speed. That is barely noticeable in the grand scheme.

Even 8 is capped and you likely can't tell the difference.

Hi Jerry1,

Curious, since there are four of you is it possible to get two 55+ plans, and have one of the youngs on each?
This is what we did. DH and I are both over 55. I have one teenager in my 55+ plan and one on the hubster's plan. The unlimited data is *huge*. We had ting previously and they kept blowing through the data caps. No more drama (about data) once we switched. Paying $120/mo effort for four unlimited phones is a great value. Glad we are grandfathered into the plan that tulak (quoted above) mentioned here on the forum.

This is what we did. DH and I are both over 55. I have one teenager in my 55+ plan and one on the hubster's plan. The unlimited data is *huge*. We had ting previously and they kept blowing through the data caps. No more drama (about data) once we switched. Paying $120/mo effort for four unlimited phones is a great value. Glad we are grandfathered into the plan that tulak (quoted above) mentioned here on the forum.

For most, Sprint and T-Mobile coverage is much worse than Verizon or AT&T.

So, you could have 4 unlimited lines on Cricket for $100/month including all taxes and fees. $240 saved/year. :popcorn:

I pre-pay $100/yr with T-Mobile which comes with 1000 minutes...I think i used 17 minutes last year. lol

That would be a great way for Jerry1 to save some $. Great plan.

OTOH, we have 3 people...

For me it certainly is.

Not only here, but I've already used it in eight European countries and two South American countries with flawless coverage.

Also worth considering is that the T-Mobile 55 plan is inclusive (no taxes and fees added on to the basic cost). I'm not sure if Sprint's 55 plan is the same.

We switched to the T-Mobile 55+ early, back when it was $60/month.

Have been happy with it, but when we were in the Yukon and Alaska, the local carriers kicked us off their network after a few days of roaming. No voice, no data, no service. Nothing.

We will see how well the roaming works in Spain and Portugal, where we are headed in a bit more than a month.

In a European trip in 2017, our companion travelers with a T-Mobile plan were able to use their phones in all the places that we visited, but the data rate was often so slow to be unusable. We did not know if it was because roamers had bandwidth restriction imposed, or because the local network was simply slow.

Last edited:
We switched to the T-Mobile 55+ early, back when it was $60/month.

Have been happy with it, but when we were in the Yukon and Alaska, the local carriers kicked us off their network after a few days of roaming. No voice, no data, no service. Nothing.

We will see how well the roaming works in Spain and Portugal, where we are headed in a bit more than a month.

In a European trip in 2017, our companion travelers with a T-Mobile plan were able to use their phones in all the places that we visited, but the data rate was often so slow to be unusable. We did not know if it was because roamers had bandwidth restriction imposed, or because the local network was simply slow.
I’m pretty sure it’s simply being switched to the slow networks if you’re out in smallish towns/rural areas. Our experiences have been very good in larger towns and cities in Europe. Sometimes you even get LTE speeds because there aren’t slower networks. If you really want high speed cell access you add a temporary data plan. We’ve always gotten whatever we needed higher bandwidth for using hotel WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom