Sprint's 55+ cellphone plan

Don't know about their coverage and that price doesn't includes taxes and fees. Does available for a limited time mean the rate will go up after some preset time?

DW and I piggyback as extra lines on one of our daughters cell plan. We pay $70 per mo. all in for our 2 lines. Unlimited talk, text and while data isn't unlimited we rarely use 1GB between the 2 of us.

Check out the T Mobile 55+ plan. It is also $70 per month for 2 unlimited lines (taxes and fees included). And, the T Mobile coverage area is larger, Canada and Mexico are included at no extra charges, international 2g data and texts are free and calls are 25 cents per minute.

I have T-Mobile's plan which is similar. I like it. You might compare the two and see if one is better or worse for your needs.

Keep in mind that if you don't use much cell phone data (versus wifi) there are plans like Ting and Republic Wireless that are even cheaper.

Last edited:
Check out the T Mobile 55+ plan. It is also $70 per month for 2 unlimited lines (taxes and fees included). And, the T Mobile coverage area is larger, Canada and Mexico are included at no extra charges, international 2g data and texts are free and calls are 25 cents per minute.

Thanks, I'll look into the T Mobile plan. It actually sounds like a better deal. :)

All depends on local coverage.

T-Mobile data coverage is not as good here locally as AT&T so we went with Cricket for $90/month for 3 lines unlimited talk/text/data.

Thanks, I'll look into the T Mobile plan. It actually sounds like a better deal. :)

If coverage is an issue, to get the broadest T Mobile network, you need a phone that picks up low frequency ban 71. It is explained here. T Mobile greatly increased their network size (now comparable to ATT) but only if your phone gets this band.

ETA: Here is a list of phones that work on this band

Last edited:

For me it certainly is.

Not only here, but I've already used it in eight European countries and two South American countries with flawless coverage.

Also worth considering is that the T-Mobile 55 plan is inclusive (no taxes and fees added on to the basic cost). I'm not sure if Sprint's 55 plan is the same.

We've had Sprint for 20+ years and are very happy with it. However, like politics, all coverage is local. Most carriers are good around the expressways, but beyond that, some do better than others depending where you're at in relation to their towers.

We would have done the 55+ plan, but we have DD and SIL added to our plan. So they pay the amount over the 55+ plan.

I think it's easy to compare plans, the hard part is to compare coverage. Thankfully, my phone works with WiFi in the house as since we moved, Sprint cell coverage is not as good at out home as Verizon was (had a Verizon phone when I worked). Make sure you get a phone/plan that will allow you to use WiFi for making calls.

I switched from Verizon to Sprint in January. They advertised a promotion of bring your own phones for $25.00 for two lines unlimited text/talk/data. It was extremely painful getting the lines/phones transferred. Sprint customer is a joke, they have a multi-tiered, multi-service model and no one person can fix the issues. There were times I wanted to reach through the phone and choked the person on the other end. After about a week and too many phone calls/e-mails I got the phone and advertised price.

I checked customer service ratings on-line, through Consumer Reports and other publications. All major player have horrible customer service based on customer surveys. I think when its time to switch providers again -- I'm going to consumer cellular.

I use Straight Talk unlimited for $45 per month. Works great everywhere, Uses Verizon towers but switches to other towers when needed. Got it with my IPhone SE ($135) at Walmart.

I looked into this awhile ago. Unfortunately you can only have 2 devices on it. I have coverage on my Apple Watch so that plan isn't available for me. I was so disappointed....

Left Sprint after 12 years for the $60 T-Mobile Unlimited 55+ plan (2 lines). It’s now $70. Was paying Sprint that for one line and the customer service was terrible. The international coverage alone is worth it. The customer service far exceeded expectations. Coverage is as good as Sprint was and the data speeds usually faster. If you own your phone it’s a no brainer to try it with no contract.

I have been a Sprint customer for more than 15 years. Our bill for two lines has been $110 a month all in for several years. When I heard about the over 55 plan I called and asked I could get it. The CSR looked at my file and said, sure, you have been a loyal customer for a long time. Not only that, but she gave me an extra $10 off for 6 months. That made my bill, with taxes $69 and this month it will rise to $79 when the $10 bonus ends. Still saving $30 a month and have more features than I had before. It all depends on the CSR - with any company. Some are very nice, some are idiots who won't do anything for you. Sprint has some dead spots in our area, but I know where they are and avoid them. On cross country trips they can be spotty in some places, but great in others.

At least I don't have to go through the several phone calls, annual negotiations and vitriolic with Sprint, like I have to do with Comcast. Everything is negotiable, but you have to get a CSR in the US. The ones in Asia barely speak English and have no authority to do anything.

If you are a Comcast subscriber and don’t use much data, you can get a plan from xfinity mobile for $12 per gb. Uses Verizon towers. I switched my MIL when we switched from a 10 gb Verizon plan to a $40 per line Verizon unlimited plan ( kids were blowing through the data ). So far it has been fine - ends up around $14.50 after taxes/fees.

All depends on local coverage.

T-Mobile data coverage is not as good here locally as AT&T so we went with Cricket for $90/month for 3 lines unlimited talk/text/data.

Yeah have Cricket 4 lines for $100.

We switched to Mint Mobile last year after being on T-Mo and couldn't be happier. 3GB of LTE w/unlimited calls and texts for $15 a month all-in, per line. We rarely use more than a gig of data in any month since we're almost always on Wifi, so the T-Mo unlimited senior plan for $70/mo. would be a complete waste of money for us.

Mint is a T-Mo MVNO. There are good MVNOs for every carrier, just have to pick one for the network you want. Or go with something like Red Pocket which allows you to switch, and you can get cheaper refills on ebay etc.

Lots of options here, the major carriers are IMO still too expensive if you don't need unlimited data (and most don't). For the super cheap, something like FreedomPop with 1GB data/mo. is less than $50/yr. on ebay.

Another option is to port to Google Voice and get a data-only plan, then use Wifi calling with the GV app (GV also does text). No need for a carrier phone number plan then, but I'd imagine VoIP alone might not be enough when traveling.

Last edited:
If coverage is an issue, to get the broadest T Mobile network, you need a phone that picks up low frequency ban 71. It is explained here. T Mobile greatly increased their network size (now comparable to ATT) but only if your phone gets this band.

ETA: Here is a list of phones that work on this band

Also, WiFi calling took care of cell reception here at home where we were having trouble with all the carriers. T-mobile adopted this earlier than some other carriers.

And since we live close to the border that occasional switch to a Mexican network doesn’t cause extra charges. Verizon was a real pain in the butt about that.

We would have done the 55+ plan, but we have DD and SIL added to our plan. So they pay the amount over the 55+ plan.

Hi Jerry1,

Curious, since there are four of you is it possible to get two 55+ plans, and have one of the youngs on each?

+1

We have this plan, in our case 5 lines of unlimited talk, text and data, for $125/mo. Hard to beat that price.

We share the plan with three of our grandchildren, paid for by their parents who have company-paid cell plans. Cricket uses the AT&T network which works great for us.

+1

We have this plan, in our case 5 lines of unlimited talk, text and data, for $125/mo. Hard to beat that price.

We share the plan with three of our grandchildren, paid for by their parents who have company-paid cell plans. Cricket uses the AT&T network which works great for us.

I have looked into switching to cricket and have even gone into 1 of their store, (several years ago). The one thing I wonder about is they limit the data speed on 4G LTE phones to 8Mbps and I always wonder if I would notice the difference from regular unlimited 4G LTE speed?

We pay a flat $130 for 5 phones and a tablet with unlimited talk, text and data with T-Mobile. If you are a veteran you get 1/2 price on what your account would cost without being a veteran. We have been with T-Mobile 17 years (before it was T-Mobile) and have always received prompt, professional service.

Just for info, you can go up to 5 lines on the Unlimited plan at Cricket. For those with 4-5 lines.

5 all unlimited lines (AT&T coverage) for $125/month. That includes all taxes and fees.

For multiple line families (or consolidate with parents/kids) it is pretty much impossible to beat.

Back
Top Bottom