SS facts WOW...

If you live until 81 those real returns grow to 10% annually.

Yep. And per mathjack's earlier graphs, if a couple is both alive at age 65, there's a 45% chance (.62 x .72) that they'll both be alive at age 80 to enjoy those big returns, and only an 11% chance that both will have already died and the couple will miss them entirely.

If they've got a portfolio, they may feel safe in giving to charity and kin while they are still alive with real returns like that.

actually for a couple there is a 47% chance one will see 90 not 80 , for a 65 year old couple . since either one stands a chance of outliving the other a couple always has better odds then singles . there is an 89% chance for one person in a couple to see 80 , not 45%

Last edited:
actually for a couple there is a 47% chance one will see 90 not 80 , for a 65 year old couple . since either one stands a chance of outliving the other a couple always has better odds then singles . there is an 89% chance for one person in a couple to see 80 , not 45%
I don't think you understood what I wrote, it is 100% correct (and doesn't contradict what you wrote).

It is incorrect. As soon as he is 62 she can get Medicare Part A for free and pay the regular premium for Part B. Prior to 62 she'll have to pay the reduced premium for part A and the regular premium for Part B. Just another example of unwillingness to do research into a problem that deserves a lot of thought and research.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

you can't get medicare before 65 regardless unless you have a disability .

You can also qualify for premium-free Part A benefits on your spouse's work record if he or she is at least age 62 and you are at least age 65. You also may qualify on the work record of a divorced or deceased spouse. Following the Supreme Court's 2015 ruling, people in same-sex marriages can qualify for Medicare on their spouse's work record, regardless of where they live or where they were married.

You qualify for full Medicare benefits under age 65 if:

You have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for at least 24 months (which need not be consecutive); or
You receive a disability pension from the Railroad Retirement Board and meet certain conditions; or
You have Lou Gehrig's disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), which qualifies you immediately; or
You have permanent kidney failure requiring regular dialysis or a kidney transplant — and you or your spouse has paid Social Security taxes for a certain length of time, depending on your age.

Last edited:
The person requesting Medicare based on age has to be 65. The insured person simply has to have 30 QC's to give the spouse reduced premium part A. Once the person with 40 QC's is 62, that persons spouse can get Part A for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

that would make sense . i would think that is nothing unusual for anyone filing off a spouses work record . they have to wait until the spouse is 62 to file for anything .

Back
Top Bottom