Stimulus 3 deposit already!

First stimulus was direct deposit, second was a debit card. Third time, the IRS web site says payment will be mailed March 26th, not sure if debit card or check. Still waiting to file 2020, since I'll get a bit back due to the covid relief bill's change to no claw back for ACA subsidies for 2020, and Turbo Tax still doesn't handle that.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Like harllee, ours finally showed up on get my payment overnight. Scheduled to be deposited in our account on the 24th.

Well, the good news for me is that "get my payment" finally shows our third stimulus check as being scheduled for direct deposit on 3/24. The BAD news is that the bank account number they show is NOT correct...........I have never had an account with that number! Aarrgh!! They have our correct account number, because that is where our first stimulus checks were deposited some months ago. Here is what they say will happen next:

"If your bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return your payment to the IRS and we will mail it to you by check at the address we have on file."

Sooooo.....now I get to wait a while and see if the check does eventually show up in the mail. The saga continues......:(

Well, the good news for me is that "get my payment" finally shows our third stimulus check as being scheduled for direct deposit on 3/24. The BAD news is that the bank account number they show is NOT correct...........I have never had an account with that number! Aarrgh!! They have our correct account number, because that is where our first stimulus checks were deposited some months ago. Here is what they say will happen next:

"If your bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return your payment to the IRS and we will mail it to you by check at the address we have on file."

Sooooo.....now I get to wait a while and see if the check does eventually show up in the mail. The saga continues......:(

If I were you I would take any evidence I have and report that to the bank. If it turns out to be a good bank account number and the check is deposited, you may be in for a long time trying to correct that. I'm curious how a direct deposit is Identified when it gets to the bank. Even if it has a name, it may be the computer only looks at the number.

If you used a tax preparation service such as H&R Block or similar, it is my understanding that they set up a temporary bank account with a different number in order to facilitate the payment of their fee and/or provide refund advance loans. That may be why you are seeing a different number.

This was a known issue with the first round of stimulus payments. The IRS and the affected tax preparation services assert that they have fixed the issue in this latest round of payments, but the fix may be as you describe - a bounce back to the IRS and then a paper check to you.

If you used a tax preparation service such as H&R Block or similar, it is my understanding that they set up a temporary bank account with a different number in order to facilitate the payment of their fee and/or provide refund advance loans. That may be why you are seeing a different number.

This was a known issue with the first round of stimulus payments. The IRS and the affected tax preparation services assert that they have fixed the issue in this latest round of payments, but the fix may be as you describe - a bounce back to the IRS and then a paper check to you.

OK, thanks for the information. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about this. We use TaxAct for our taxes, and have done so for several years. Our bank account number has not changed for years, either. The odd thing is that we got the first stimulus payment as a direct deposit without any issues. So it's unclear to me what got messed up after that to cause them to lose our correct bank account information.

Got my hopes up. Checked irs.gov/getmypayment today. Still 'status unavailable'. Wahhhh!!

DGF getting her stimulus on 3/24 with a direct deposit. Last time was a check. No logic.

Mine says to be mailed 3/26. I've never given them my bank info... just never seemed like a good idea. Always got checks, so I hope that trend continues (the plastic would require converting to currency and an ATM cash deposit, which is more trouble than taking a picture of the check with my phone).

Last edited:
Stim 3 Direct deposit on the 17th. Stim 1 was also direct deposit , but stim 2 was a check in the mail. Maybe because I owed the IRS that tax year?? Just guessing.

I got my first 2 stimulus payments by deposit and now the IRS site for some reason says I will get my next payment in the "mail" which with all the USPS problems I have been having means I may never get it...screwy. I have a special checking account that I set up to use for deposits where you have to enter checking info online--like PayPal, Stubhub, SS etc and that is what I used for the first 2 stimulus deposits. Oh well I don't need the money but I know some who definitely does need it and that is where it is going, when and if I get it.

I have a special checking account that I set up to use for deposits where you have to enter checking info online--like PayPal, Stubhub, SS etc and that is what I used for the first 2 stimulus deposits.
I need to set up one of those. I wonder if the linked entity attempted to reverse a transaction where you'd already removed that money, if your bank would charge a nfs type fee.

We will be getting ours mailed on the 26th as well. First stimulus check was redirected to the account of the hackers who stole our 2019 refund. After much intervention we were issued a replacement check in October. We did not receive the second stimulus and claimed it on our recently filed taxes.

Seems like the IRS has added some software that decides that certain digital accounts receiving the money have an above average risk of being hacked? And then they mail it to a known address instead? Just a guess.

The IRS could be doing that with some digital accounts. Our 2019 hacking problem included the hackers changing our preferred method for the refund (check) to a digital account belonging to the hackers. The IRS then deposited the first stimulus payment into the hacker's account as well. We could not do anything to stop the stimulus payment being re-directed as the IRS was on their COVID vacation.

Got tax refund by direct deposit about 5 days ago, but no stim check yet.
Oldmike

IRS site is showing a direct deposit is scheduled for 3/24. Payment 1 & 2 were also direct deposit. 2020 Taxes were filed on 3/03 and got refund on 3/16. Seems like things have been pretty smooth for us in regards to the IRS.

If I were you I would take any evidence I have and report that to the bank. If it turns out to be a good bank account number and the check is deposited, you may be in for a long time trying to correct that. I'm curious how a direct deposit is Identified when it gets to the bank. Even if it has a name, it may be the computer only looks at the number.

Thanks - I did call my bank this morning, and told them about the wrong account number on the stimulus direct deposit that was supposed to go to my account. Someone in their ACH dept. was able to track down the pending payment, and redirect it to my account. Yay!! I fully expected to be told there was nothing they could do about this, but to my surprise, they were able to fix it! Nice when something like this happens..........:)

Got my hopes up. Checked irs.gov/getmypayment today. Still 'status unavailable'. Wahhhh!!

Ours too. We received 1st and 2nd stimulus checks without any delays. We did file our 2020 taxes in feb and received our refund without issues, so I know we're on file. Guess we just have to keep waiting.

IRS site is showing a direct deposit is scheduled for 3/24. Payment 1 & 2 were also direct deposit. 2020 Taxes were filed on 3/03 and got refund on 3/16. Seems like things have been pretty smooth for us in regards to the IRS.

Follow up: The website showed the 24th, but it hit our account last night (23rd).

Received all 3 stimulus checks by direct deposit

2020 #1 in April from IRS shown as Federal Tax Refund
2020 #2 in Jan 2021 from SSA shown as Federal Benefit Credit (not collecting social security payments)

2021 #3 in March 2021 from IRS shown as Federal Tax Refund

Odd #2 is from SSA :confused:

Back
Top Bottom