Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
FINALLY! It wasn't here earlier this morning, but there is a brand new deposit from the IRS into my checking account of $451.95, which is about what I figured it would be.

Mine never showed up as pending, for some reason.
Wow - why such an odd amount? Others in here said they've received deposits of $600, $1200, etc. - DW's and mine was $1200.
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Stimulus $600
Old 01-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stimulus $600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
Wow - why such an odd amount? Others in here said they've received deposits of $600, $1200, etc. - DW's and mine was $1200.

Im not W2R, but I also received an odd amount (just this morning). Its because my AGI for 2019 was a bit over the $150K threshold for a MFJ filer to get the full payment, but still low enough to get some stimulus money.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #103
Administrator

If you are Married Filing Jointly and have over $150k AGI, it goes down $5 for every $100 you are over, so by the time you hit $174k AGI, you'll get zero.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you are Married Filing Jointly and have over $150k AGI, it goes down $5 for every $100 you are over, so by the time you hit $174k AGI, you'll get zero.
Thus anyone who gets between 0 and 1,200 or the single version of 0 to 600 is effectively letting folks know their AGI.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really DO need to check my B & M bank - not so much for the stimulus check but to see if my check from mainland CU has cleared my local bank. We were pretty tight on our principal checking account after last-minute charity/kids in 2020. Wouldn't want to bounce a check this late in life. (Come on stimulus, er, I mean Ajax Credit Union!) Sometimes our local bank holds checks for a long time. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked the IRS website (where's my payment) and it said ours is scheduled to be mailed on January 6. We got the first stimulus by direct deposit. I'm wondering why they chose to mail this one?
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
I checked the IRS website (where's my payment) and it said ours is scheduled to be mailed on January 6. We got the first stimulus by direct deposit. I'm wondering why they chose to mail this one?
Just checked. Same here. I guess they are using 2019 records, and we did not get an electronic refund last year (owed a few bucks).
Old 01-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Just checked. Same here. I guess they are using 2019 records, and we did not get an electronic refund last year (owed a few bucks).
And the same here, for what I assume is the same reason as CardsFan.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
If you paid electronically, then they could have done a deposit to that account. This is different than the previous stimulus where they could only deposit to accounts that had gotten a refund unless you submitted your banking info online. Here's what the new law says about electronic deposits for the second stimulus:

Quote:
(i) any account to which the payee authorized, on or after January 1, 2019, the delivery of a refund of taxes under this title or of a Federal payment (as defined in section 3332 of title 31, United States Code),
(ii) any account belonging to a payee from which that individual, on or after January 1, 2019, made a payment of taxes under this title, or
(iii) any Treasury-sponsored account (as defined in section 208.2 of title 31, Code of Federal Regulations).
Theoretically, even if you only made an estimated payment for your 2018 taxes on 1/15/2019 online you should still be able to get the stimulus payment electronically.

Oh well, it's probably a waste of time to try and understand the thinking of the Treasury Dept on this. Hopefully your paper check comes quickly and all is well.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:56 PM   #110

Got ours's. It will drive our neighbor nuts. He doesn't understand the the difference between income and assets. ��
Old 01-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
We received an overnight deposit from US Treasury of $1,200. That was fast. I did have a refund in 2019 and had my bank account information on the IRS tax return.
We got the e-mail from the bank this past Friday that the deposit was on file. It was confirmed on Monday. Super fast!

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #112

I got notice from BofA of the $600 deposit on Jan 1st. They got it right this time. My wife is not a US citizen so just the $600. Under the original CARES act we were not eligible for anything because I filed a joint return and my wife uses an ITIN instead of a Soc Sec number. The rumor is that this legislation retroactively changes that so I might get the original stimulus check after I do this next tax return. However, we live in Thailand so a lot of good our stimulus check will do in the US.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #113
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wonder if I will get the $600

Because of Covid, we did not get our 2019 taxes done until the end of November (and missed electronic filing deadline by one day ! Had to mail paper returns.). We knew we would be getting a refund, so the late filing was fine. However, if they use 2019 to determine your stimulus check, I wonder if we will lose out ☹️. Did not consider that a second stimulus would be coming. 🤨
Joe1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Our check was in our account Monday morning. It will go towards offsetting the old crown that broke over the weekend. I guess the dentist is considered a small business.
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1954 View Post
Because of Covid, we did not get our 2019 taxes done until the end of November (and missed electronic filing deadline by one day ! Had to mail paper returns.). We knew we would be getting a refund, so the late filing was fine. However, if they use 2019 to determine your stimulus check, I wonder if we will lose out ☹️. Did not consider that a second stimulus would be coming. 🤨
For my first stimulus check they used my 2018 return which did not reflect my 2019 marital status. I will be able to correct that when I next file my taxes this year. You should be able to do the same on your 2022 taxes if you dont get this one. You will just have to wait a year which of course defeats the purpose of the stimulus ( or maybe not in 2022).
Old 01-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #116

Got ours yesterday. Was going to buy a part for the dryer. Then I found a video that said to just smack the part to make it work again. Dang'd if it didn't work...

Just paid the property taxes, so it'll be a start to replenishing the account.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Got ours's. It will drive our neighbor nuts. He doesn't understand the the difference between income and assets. ��

There are a LOT of people that don't understand that difference.

Back on thread. Ours showed up on 1/1.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
For my first stimulus check they used my 2018 return which did not reflect my 2019 marital status. I will be able to correct that when I next file my taxes this year. You should be able to do the same on your 2022 taxes if you dont get this one. You will just have to wait a year which of course defeats the purpose of the stimulus ( or maybe not in 2022).
I think both stimulus payments get reconciled on 2020 taxes - you won't have to wait until next year.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #119
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I think both stimulus payments get reconciled on 2020 taxes - you won't have to wait until next year.
I think you are correct, although I note that as of the 1/4/21 update the H&R Block tax package does not do that.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I already got this years $600 and it is the correct amount. I just have to sort out the previous 2020 payment on my upcoming taxes.