Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #321
Full time employment: Posting here.

We entered the amount of her refund- even though she applied this to her quarterlies, netting zero.

i.e. She got a refund of $500. She applied that to her quarterly.
We entered 500 for the amount when asked on the form
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #322
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried that and it wouldn’t work. Oh, well.
gailwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #323
Administrator

If I were trying to have some security built into the system, I would have the program check the number in either box 20 or 23 on the IRS Form 1040 against the social security number and address for that taxpayer. It is a good and simple way to help prevent fraud, and only one of those two boxes can have a number in it. I would not care about how they applied any refund, because you can choose any amount between zero and your whole refund to put into line 22.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
It says I need to select that I owed or got a refund and give the amount. Entering zero or the amount that I had credited toward this year’s taxes doesn’t work. What did she enter there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
We entered the amount of her refund- even though she applied this to her quarterlies, netting zero.

i.e. She got a refund of $500. She applied that to her quarterly.
We entered 500 for the amount when asked on the form
Interesting as it spells out that for the 2019 form to use the number on line 21a which for DF is 0.

But once I submitted everything I got a Technical Difficulties try again later error 109, so who knows?
Old 04-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #325
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting as it spells out that for the 2019 form to use the number on line 21a which for DF is 0.

But once I submitted everything I got a Technical Difficulties try again later error 109, so who knows?
I'm just going to wait for them to mail me a check; I should get it in September.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #326
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I were trying to have some security built into the system, I would have the program check the number in either box 20 or 23 on the IRS Form 1040 against the social security number and address for that taxpayer. It is a good and simple way to help prevent fraud, and only one of those two boxes can have a number in it. I would not care about how they applied any refund, because you can choose any amount between zero and your whole refund to put into line 22.
I can just see the logic flaws in the cobol code. The sequence errors. The field overwrites. The problem of duplicates. The lack of thorough testing. One guy here mentioned he got the screen to work if he clicked the 'back' button on his browser (probably refreshed some indicator in the code). Classic stuff that happens during testing of programs. They are obviously using us for their testing, lol. I don't fault them, it is a very tough situation for those programmers and systems analysts.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm just going to wait for them to mail me a check; I should get it in September.
Same for my DGF. Willing to wait.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #328
Give me a forum ...

We got the deposit on Tuesday, two deposits of $1200. DW and I file jointly (no dependents) and noticed that one deposit showed customer name as "Just DW's Name" and the other deposit had the customer name as "My Name & DW's Name."

Not sure why it's like this, but guess it'll get all settled when we file 2020 taxes.
Help me with Get My Payment website
Old 04-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #329

Help me with Get My Payment website

DH and I qualify for the stimulus payment. We should get $2400 but have received nothing yet. We both get SS payments and I had hoped the stimulus payment would be paid like SS but evidently not. We filed our 2019 federal income tax return on 2/14/19. We overpaid by $40 (line 20). Instead of getting a refund we applied the $40 to our 2020 estimate (line 22). We also filed a 2018 return and got a refund which was direct deposited to our bank account.

I have tried to use the Get My Payment website with no luck. Right now I am locked out. I get to the page that asks for AGI and refund amount but no matter what I put in it says my information does not match the IRS records.

Is there anyone who has used the Get My Payment website successfully who got a refund that was applied to your 2020 estimate? if so how do you complete the information asked for about the refund on the Get My Payment website? Thanks.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Floating a theory.....

Has anyone gotten a stimulus check in a situation where they did not qualify in 2018 but did in 2019?

Yes. The site informed me we will be getting a payment.

Our accountant filed our 2019 taxes in early March, as he knew that we'd be ineligible based on 2018 returns, and wanted to get it in on time, so the stimulus would be based on 2019.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #331

Just to bump my post count, SS and stimulus check arrived on the 15th.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

One thing I learned yesterday.... in order for them to do a direct deposit of your stimulus check you need to have had a federal income tax REFUND made to your bank account (in 2019 or 2018 I think).

I was blissfully thinking that they had my bank info since they took money out of my checking account for the whopping $250 that I owed for 2019 on 4/10/2020.... but alas unless it was a refund it doesn't work that way.

I went to the website and put in all my info and see the following today:
Quote:
Payment Status
You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************6666

Updates to your payment are made no more than once a day. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #333
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just saw this on the WaPo website (likely behind a paywall).

Glitches prevent $1,200 stimulus checks from reaching millions of Americans

Quote:
Several million people who filed their taxes via H&R Block, TurboTax and other popular services were unable to get their payments. Some parents reported they didnít get the $500 promised for their dependent children.
Quote:
IRS and Treasury officials acknowledged they are aware of these issues and are working to fix them.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just saw this on the WaPo website (likely behind a paywall).

Glitches prevent $1,200 stimulus checks from reaching millions of Americans
Quote:
Several million people who filed their taxes via H&R Block, TurboTax and other popular services were unable to get their payments. Some parents reported they didn’t get the $500 promised for their dependent children.
But, but.... I filed with TurboTax, got my refund, and I got my $1,200 (well, $1,151.95 in my case) refund yesterday. So I guess it's not everybody who used these services. Maybe it's the ones who opted for getting their Turbo-tax refund via Amazon credits or something like that.

As an aside, the poor beleaguered IRS employees must feel like mama birds, with 328 million baby birds in the nest, all cheeping noisily for a worm to eat (or stimulus payment in this case).
Old 04-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #335

When I was finally able to update my account information it automatically updated DW info when we went to check her status. All is good.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #336
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
When I was finally able to update my account information it automatically updated DW info when we went to check her status. All is good.
+1 I assumed that would be the case but your post prompted me to check for DW and she is a-ok too.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #337

For those that are either thanking the government or considering this a gift, while it appears this is free money, IT IS NOT. It will be added to the National DEBT. Normal taxpayers (not the tax-evading elite) will be paying for this for the next few generations to come."
Old 04-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #338
Dryer sheet aficionado

Tried checking US Bank where my checking acct is located Wed. and website
would not allow login. I guess they got overloaded.
Today was able to login and see $1200 was deposited.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
For those that are either thanking the government or considering this a gift, while it appears this is free money, IT IS NOT. It will be added to the National DEBT. Normal taxpayers (not the tax-evading elite) will be paying for this for the next few generations to come."
Somewhat true... while what is paid out is added to the national debt what is spent is income that companies pay income taxes on, and to the extent that the incremental income allows the companies to keep employees employed that adds income and social security taxes... etc. So once the multiplier effect is considered the net amount added to the debt is far less than what is paid out.... although difficult to measure.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really donít want to wait for a check in the mail for DF as he may not last that long!

Tags
stimulus payment