Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

My daughter, who filed in mid Feb for a $263 refund still does not have it. Bank info is correct. When she checks online it constantly states “in progress, should take 2-3 weeks from when we receive it”. No updates, no other way to check.

No stimulus check. Message comes on “we can’t identify you”. I even tried it today for her and got the same message
Then locked out for 24 hours
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Did she file on paper? It sounds like she did given the message you're describing mentioning several weeks.

My son filed on paper in late February and has not gotten his refund, although he did receive his stimulus payment on 4/15. It has shown in progress since end of March.

My guess is that the news reports that they've shut down IRS processing centers due to the current epidemic means that paper filers' refunds (like my son's) are in limbo.

(If she filed electronically and had a typical return then she should have received her federal refund about 10 days after filing.)

It says they will mail the check on May 1, 2020.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

For those of us who filed 2019 on paper, we will have to wait for them to open the processing center later in the year. I am not sure if they will automatically verify for us and send us the check, or we will have to reconcile on our own via 2020 tax return, which means we will get our share in 2021.

For those of us who filed 2019 on paper, we will have to wait for them to open the processing center later in the year. I am not sure if they will automatically verify for us and send us the check, or we will have to reconcile on our own via 2020 tax return, which means we will get our share in 2021.
I didn't file my 2019 yet and it says May 1.

I didn't file my 2019 yet and it says May 1.

Yes. I won't qualify with my 2018 income. I retired early 2019 and will qualify from that year. But, my paper return is not processed yet. So, I think in my case, they won't know until later when they open (not sure when?)

I entered my bank info on 4/15 and they say my check is scheduled to be mailed 4/24. Idk!!

Reluctant to Add Bank Account

I filed electronically in mid March without bank account info. I mailed a payment.

Below is what it looks like when you're eligible for payment, but they don't have your bank account info.

I'm in no particular hurry to get the money, so I'm going to keep my tradition of never giving them my bank account info.

Where are people seeing the date their checks are to be mailed?

Attachments

• BankAccountInfoRequest.jpg
    BankAccountInfoRequest.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I filed electronically in mid March without bank account info. I mailed a payment.

Below is what it looks like when you're eligible for payment, but they don't have your bank account info.

I'm in no particular hurry to get the money, so I'm going to keep my tradition of never giving them my bank account info.

You do know the bank account number is on the bottom of the check you mailed in, right?

When they have a schedule for mailing your check, the date will appear where you're seeing the option to enter your bank info now.

Can you spot what I'm doing wrong?

Any advice for me for putting bank info into Get My Payment? Here's the scoop:

So - we don't pay or get refunds with bank account. Haven't filed yet for 2019. Using 2018 amended figures.

Have tried to update bank info for a couple of days. The first time I didn't have the post office nine-digit zip code. One time I put a period in the address that USPS leaves out. Second day everything should be correct, but I still get a message that they can't verify me. Even tried once with non-amended figures.

Any comments welcome. Thank you.

Which online calculator did you use? I would trust the IRS' math over a random online calculator. You can also do the calculation yourself pretty easily.

If you file MFJ and have no children under age 17, then take your AGI from line 8b of your 2019 1040 and calculate $2400 - .05 * (AGI - 150000). If your AGI is just over the limit at 160000, then you'll get $1900.

If that doesn't work, do the same calculation with your 2018 AGI, which is on line 7 of that year's 1040.

Yes - I used this formula and multiple websites and it came back that the check I received is the wrong amount. Believing that this is not the stimulus check because

- The IRS "get my refund" tool is now saying I'll get the stimulus check by direct deposit on April 30th. This is what I expected as I had updated my direct deposit info at that site - this check came by US Mail.

- The check says "12/2019 Tax Refund" on it.

So, I'm not sure what this is - legit or not? - if legit, shouldn't I get a letter from the IRS explaining what it is?

Yes - I used this formula and multiple websites and it came back that the check I received is the wrong amount. Believing that this is not the stimulus check because

- The IRS "get my refund" tool is now saying I'll get the stimulus check by direct deposit on April 30th. This is what I expected as I had updated my direct deposit info at that site - this check came by US Mail.

- The check says "12/2019 Tax Refund" on it.

So, I'm not sure what this is - legit or not? - if legit, shouldn't I get a letter from the IRS explaining what it is?

I agree that it's probably not a stimulus check. You can google for images of US Treasury checks and make sure it looks legit, then go ahead and deposit it. You might not want to spend it right away, just in case the IRS made an error and you have to return the funds.

Yes, the IRS will eventually send you a letter telling you what updates they made to your return that led to a refund.

Last edited:
Here's an excerpt from a WaPo article https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...are-way-here-are-key-dates-next-set-payments/

The first wave of payments included individuals and couples who had filed either a 2018 or 2019 federal return and received a refund. The Cares Act gives the treasury secretary authorization to electronically deposit the stimulus payment into accounts taxpayers had designated for direct deposit of tax refunds on or after Jan. 1, 2018.

However, the IRS cannot make direct deposits into bank accounts used to make electronic tax payments, even if that account information is known to the agency, according to IRS spokesman Eric Smith.

So if we ever did make a payment using that account - should I offer a different account?

Here's an excerpt from a WaPo article https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...are-way-here-are-key-dates-next-set-payments/

The first wave of payments included individuals and couples who had filed either a 2018 or 2019 federal return and received a refund. The Cares Act gives the treasury secretary authorization to electronically deposit the stimulus payment into accounts taxpayers had designated for direct deposit of tax refunds on or after Jan. 1, 2018.

However, the IRS cannot make direct deposits into bank accounts used to make electronic tax payments, even if that account information is known to the agency, according to IRS spokesman Eric Smith.

So if we ever did make a payment using that account - should I offer a different account?

No, that sentence I bolded is just poorly worded. What they're trying to say is that permission to make a direct debit is not the same as permission to make a direct deposit. They can do both actions with the same account, but they need separate permissions on file. If you have not already given permission for them to direct deposit money to the account you usually use for payments (by receiving a refund on your most recent return), then you can do it by using the Get My Payment website. Although, I see your post above about being unable to get past the verification screen due to having an amended 2018 return, and I don't know what to tell you about that. That's one of those less common situations that seems to have been bypassed when they were developing the website.

Agree with Cathy63 on this. I went the site and it said we were eligible but no bank info available. I input the same bank info I had just used to authorize a tax payment for 2019 taxes. The status message changed to “direct deposit authorized to account xyzz”

You do know the bank account number is on the bottom of the check you mailed in, right?
Yeah. I was thinking someone might make that comment. And because of it I get to make a wild speculation :cool:. Maybe my account number is not in the BHDB (big hackable database). And also, I didn't agree to any MQFP (massive quantity of fine-print). Am I being paranoid, yes, most likely.

Woo Hoo.

PENDING TRANSACTIONS
DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
Date: April 30, 2020
APR
IRS TREAS 310 - TAX REF
Miscellaneous $2,400.00

I know the $1200 stimulus money is not subject to federal taxes, but what about state taxes? I live in California and cannot find any info.

It's an advanced credit against your 2020 federal taxes. There are other federal tax credits. To the best of my knowledge, they are not counted as income.

In CT, federal credits and deductions are ignored, and our state tax simply goes off of Federal AGI plus or minus certain state specified adjustments. This advanced tax credit is not part of my federal AGI.

California might work differently, but that's how I see it right now.

Haha yes! The IRS! Yes, been sending in checks on the same account for 30 years. Got SS direct deposit into the same account too!

Your check is coming by mail.

That's OK, I'm not outta dough yet.

Woo Hoo.

PENDING TRANSACTIONS
DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
Date: April 30, 2020
APR
IRS TREAS 310 - TAX REF
Miscellaneous $2,400.00

us too! although Schwab hasn't given me that level of detail yet - it's all just part of tomorrow's 'pending' transactions, mixed in w/ the pension.

Either way, I feel so stimulated!

Back
Top Bottom