Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

Hard to say what the issue could be. The website gave me "payment status unavailable" for the longest time, then finally accepted my 2018 numbers (even though I paper filed my 2019 taxes in March) and took my bank information. Then it stalled me for another week or so . Finally, just a few days ago, it said I'll get a deposit tomorrow 5/6/20. So I don't know what else to advise other than to keep trying.

That's about what happened here, except we E-filed. I kept getting "payment status unavailable" until, like you, it said we'd get the deposit on 5/6/20 a few days ago. It showed up this morning.

It's already been earmarked for new a hardwood floor in the family room that DW has been wanting for several years. $2400 won't pay for all of it of course, but at least a good chunk of it.

DMIL received her paper check today, May 6. IRS said they mailed it May 1. So timing worked out well.

But it includes an extra $1200 for my deceased FIL. He died late December 2018. The 2018 return was MFJ and included his name, but we told Turbo tax he was deceased. TurboTax printed "Filing as surviving spouse" in his signature field. At the top of the return, it printed "DECEASED", along with his full name and date of death.

Also, SSA knew within days as the funeral home informs them even before death certificates are issued. His SS check stopped immediately. That was a year and a half ago.

At this point, it appears the IRS is "requesting" that people return the money. They have provided instructions for doing so. But there is no official mandate related to deceased individuals that I've seen and no published consequences for not returning it.

Certainly the CARES Act has no clawback provision for the advance payments. And technically, the payment was made correctly in accordance with criteria in the law. So this will be interesting.

DMIL is asking me what to do. They filed jointly, so just one check for $2400 made out to her. For now, I told her to deposit the whole thing and we'll wait to see if some more official guidance is issued in the coming days/weeks. Otherwise I'm inclined to just let her keep it. Frankly she needs the money as her finances have been very tight since DFIL died.

Technically, the way the law was written, deceased people qualify for the stimulus payment. They could have written an exclusion into the law, but they didn't.

Also technically, half of the $2400 is your DMIL's and half of it is your DFIL. So his $1200 should become part of his estate and be distributed according to his will or the laws of intestacy of his state. Which may mean that the money would go to DMIL anyway.

Got our $2400 today. Thank God for Andrew Yang who championed universal basic income (UBI).

We haven't received our stimulus check but I haven't sent in my first quarterly income tax payment for 2020 yet for pretty much the same amount. Do you think they will let me just call it even? :D

Cheers!

"We're checking the databases, but there could be a scenario where we missed something," -Steve Mnuchin

gMdow46.jpg

I have not read all the previous posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

I tried several times over the last few weeks to enter information into the IRS website for direct deposit without any success. Something about information not matching their records.

Will I eventually receive a check in the mail? DW and I qualify for the $2400 stimulus.

Where do you find out when you should be expecting a check?

I have not read all the previous posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

I tried several times over the last few weeks to enter information into the IRS website for direct deposit without any success. Something about information not matching their records.

Will I eventually receive a check in the mail? DW and I qualify for the $2400 stimulus.

Where do you find out when you should be expecting a check?

The first part of the IRS website will tell you if you are getting a refund. It's the second part about your AGI and how much refund or tax you ended up sending or receiving that is likely what didn't match their records. From that page, it should spell out that you will receive a paper check unless you fill out correctly. Most likely you are putting down a wrong refund amount. Did you get a refund and if so, did you apply it to next year's taxes? It could be the amount is zero if you applied your refund to next year's taxes. In that instance, technically you did not receive a refund and should enter zero.

Your question has most likely been addressed in the tread. Take the time to read what's been discussed.

After being locked out ever since it started (I have a foreign address) I got in today smoothly (entered address all in caps) and it took bank info too. So either they’re loading the system in batches or they fixed whatever glitch that had kept me out.

I'm still waiting,

Taxes filed April 10 with my routing numbers. I also put them on the stimulus payment website April 29th. Finally got into the site.

It seems the secretary did not add the routing numbers to my 1040 form as she said she would do. GET REFUND STATUS,

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp
Says my check is in the mail, it was not directly deposited.
Just another reason not to use the tax service next year.

Hey they are still processing my tax refund which has a direct deposit account from Feb 27th. Can't speak to a live person yet.
However, I did get the stimulus. Crazy...

DGF just received her paper check today. We will take it.

DH and I spent the afternoon deciding which local charities and worthy causes will get our stimulus money--some food banks, go fund me for unemployed restaurant employees, help for hungry kids.

It seems the secretary did not add the routing numbers to my 1040 form as she said she would do. GET REFUND STATUS,

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp
Says my check is in the mail, it was not directly deposited.
Just another reason not to use the tax service next year.

Just got the mail, my Tax refund check came, checked the website this morning, it said it was mailed yesterday on the 8th.
That's one for the mail service!
I'm perplexed, I'm happy I paid $0 in federal tax, but not so happy I gave the government a $6,600 loan at 0 interest.
I'll do better next year, I promise.

DH and I spent the afternoon deciding which local charities and worthy causes will get our stimulus money--some food banks, go fund me for unemployed restaurant employees, help for hungry kids.

Good stuff. Use it for yourself if you need it, otherwise put it to where it is truly needed. When mine finally comes... I shall do the same.

Good stuff. Use it for yourself if you need it, otherwise put it to where it is truly needed. When mine finally comes... I shall do the same.

We are very fortunate. We are not wealthy (we would not be getting the stimulus if we were) but we are comfortable and so many people are in need. We are grateful we were able to send our stimulus to help others and hopefully that will help the economy in general.

I haven’t read every page, but I am surprised so many here are even getting checks. I thought this place was chock full of big dawgs.

We are very fortunate. We are not wealthy (we would not be getting the stimulus if we were) but we are comfortable and so many people are in need. We are grateful we were able to send our stimulus to help others and hopefully that will help the economy in general.

Wealthy is a relative term, The typical American household has a net worth of about $97,300.
Would the typical American say you weren't wealthy? (rhetorical)

For 65yr olds +,

To be in the top 50%, you need a net worth of at least $218,500.
To be in the top 10%, you need a net worth of at least $1,712,000.

We have been filing electronically with the help of AARP for 8+ years and each year pay tax due with a check. I went on the IRS site to check our status but stopped when it asked for our bank account number. They should have that information with all the checks they have accepted. Evidently a SS#, birth date, and address is not sufficient to check on our status.

At this time there is no check yet. NUTS! Not sure if they will even send a check with how screwed up they are.
I was hoping to use it as a donation to charities but that will have to wait assuming I eventually get a check.

Cheers!

We have been filing electronically with the help of AARP for 8+ years and each year pay tax due with a check. I went on the IRS site to check our status but stopped when it asked for our bank account number. They should have that information with all the checks they have accepted. Evidently a SS#, birth date, and address is not sufficient to check on our status.

At this time there is no check yet. NUTS! Not sure if they will even send a check with how screwed up they are.
I was hoping to use it as a donation to charities but that will have to wait assuming I eventually get a check.

Cheers!

The IRS definitely doesn't save bank info from paper checks that people mail to them!

The SS#, birth date and address did tell you the status of your payment though. It confirmed that you're entitled to a payment, and that you're in a group that hasn't yet been scheduled to have checks printed and mailed. It also offered you the opportunity to provide direct deposit info so that you can have your money in two weeks instead of waiting for a paper check to be processed.

If you don't want to get an electronic deposit, then you can check your status every week or so and eventually you'll see a date when the paper check will be mailed. It takes several months to print and mail millions of checks, and they're starting from the lowest incomes and working towards the highest, so depending where you fall in the line, it may be as late as September when you receive your check. If you're lucky, then a lot of the people in line ahead of you did provide their banking info and that'll shorten the amount of time you have to wait.

The IRS definitely doesn't save bank info from paper checks that people mail to them!

The SS#, birth date and address did tell you the status of your payment though. It confirmed that you're entitled to a payment, and that you're in a group that hasn't yet been scheduled to have checks printed and mailed. It also offered you the opportunity to provide direct deposit info so that you can have your money in two weeks instead of waiting for a paper check to be processed.

If you don't want to get an electronic deposit, then you can check your status every week or so and eventually you'll see a date when the paper check will be mailed.

I went to the site that someone provided on this forum and gave my SS#, birth date, and address as I wrote in my post. It DID NOT give me any confirmation etc. as you stated. It would not allow me to continue without a bank deposit number. So I can't check my status. Is there another website from the IRS that does what you posted?

Cheers!

I went to the site that someone provided on this forum and gave my SS#, birth date, and address as I wrote in my post. It DID NOT give me any confirmation etc. as you stated. It would not allow me to continue without a bank deposit number. So I can't check my status. Is there another website from the IRS that does what you posted?

Cheers!

The official site is https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If it asks for your bank info, then that means that you are eligible for the payment and they are currently planning to mail a check to you later. The screen that asks for bank info is the confirmation. There is no other status you can get.

If you are not eligible or if the site can't match the info you provided with a recent tax return, then you get a different message with no place to enter your bank info.

If you are eligible and they have already scheduled your check to be mailed, then you get a message giving the date of mailing. Once you see the status message with a check date, then it's too late to enter your bank info.

I haven’t read every page, but I am surprised so many here are even getting checks. I thought this place was chock full of big dawgs.

Many big dawgs in Net Wealth, but not MAGI/AGI.

Back
Top Bottom