Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

If I were trying to have some security built into the system, I would have the program check the number in either box 20 or 23 on the IRS Form 1040 against the social security number and address for that taxpayer. It is a good and simple way to help prevent fraud, and only one of those two boxes can have a number in it. I would not care about how they applied any refund, because you can choose any amount between zero and your whole refund to put into line 22.

I can just see the logic flaws in the cobol code. The sequence errors. The field overwrites. The problem of duplicates. The lack of thorough testing. One guy here mentioned he got the screen to work if he clicked the 'back' button on his browser (probably refreshed some indicator in the code). Classic stuff that happens during testing of programs. They are obviously using us for their testing, lol. I don't fault them, it is a very tough situation for those programmers and systems analysts.

We got the deposit on Tuesday, two deposits of $1200. DW and I file jointly (no dependents) and noticed that one deposit showed customer name as "Just DW's Name" and the other deposit had the customer name as "My Name & DW's Name."

Not sure why it's like this, but guess it'll get all settled when we file 2020 taxes.

Help me with Get My Payment website

DH and I qualify for the stimulus payment. We should get $2400 but have received nothing yet. We both get SS payments and I had hoped the stimulus payment would be paid like SS but evidently not. We filed our 2019 federal income tax return on 2/14/19. We overpaid by $40 (line 20). Instead of getting a refund we applied the $40 to our 2020 estimate (line 22). We also filed a 2018 return and got a refund which was direct deposited to our bank account.

I have tried to use the Get My Payment website with no luck. Right now I am locked out. I get to the page that asks for AGI and refund amount but no matter what I put in it says my information does not match the IRS records.

Is there anyone who has used the Get My Payment website successfully who got a refund that was applied to your 2020 estimate? if so how do you complete the information asked for about the refund on the Get My Payment website? Thanks.

Floating a theory.....

Has anyone gotten a stimulus check in a situation where they did not qualify in 2018 but did in 2019?

Yes. The site informed me we will be getting a payment.

Our accountant filed our 2019 taxes in early March, as he knew that we'd be ineligible based on 2018 returns, and wanted to get it in on time, so the stimulus would be based on 2019.

Just to bump my post count, SS and stimulus check arrived on the 15th.

One thing I learned yesterday.... in order for them to do a direct deposit of your stimulus check you need to have had a federal income tax REFUND made to your bank account (in 2019 or 2018 I think).

I was blissfully thinking that they had my bank info since they took money out of my checking account for the whopping $250 that I owed for 2019 on 4/10/2020.... but alas unless it was a refund it doesn't work that way.

I went to the website and put in all my info and see the following today:
Payment Status
You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************6666

Updates to your payment are made no more than once a day. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Last edited:
Just saw this on the WaPo website (likely behind a paywall).

Glitches prevent $1,200 stimulus checks from reaching millions of Americans
Several million people who filed their taxes via H&R Block, TurboTax and other popular services were unable to get their payments. Some parents reported they didn’t get the $500 promised for their dependent children.

But, but.... I filed with TurboTax, got my refund, and I got my $1,200 (well, $1,151.95 in my case) refund yesterday. So I guess it's not everybody who used these services. Maybe it's the ones who opted for getting their Turbo-tax refund via Amazon credits or something like that.

As an aside, the poor beleaguered IRS employees must feel like mama birds, with 328 million baby birds in the nest, all cheeping noisily for a worm to eat (or stimulus payment in this case).

When I was finally able to update my account information it automatically updated DW info when we went to check her status. All is good.

When I was finally able to update my account information it automatically updated DW info when we went to check her status. All is good.

+1 I assumed that would be the case but your post prompted me to check for DW and she is a-ok too.

For those that are either thanking the government or considering this a gift, while it appears this is free money, IT IS NOT. It will be added to the National DEBT. Normal taxpayers (not the tax-evading elite) will be paying for this for the next few generations to come."

Tried checking US Bank where my checking acct is located Wed. and website
would not allow login. I guess they got overloaded.
Today was able to login and see $1200 was deposited.

For those that are either thanking the government or considering this a gift, while it appears this is free money, IT IS NOT. It will be added to the National DEBT. Normal taxpayers (not the tax-evading elite) will be paying for this for the next few generations to come."

Somewhat true... while what is paid out is added to the national debt what is spent is income that companies pay income taxes on, and to the extent that the incremental income allows the companies to keep employees employed that adds income and social security taxes... etc. So once the multiplier effect is considered the net amount added to the debt is far less than what is paid out.... although difficult to measure.

One thing I learned yesterday.... in order for them to do a direct deposit of your stimulus check you need to have had a federal income tax REFUND made to your bank account (in 2019 or 2018 I think).

I was blissfully thinking that they had my bank info since they took money out of my checking account for the whopping $250 that I owed for 2019 on 4/10/2020.... but alas unless it was a refund it doesn't work that way.

I went to the website and put in all my info and see the following today:

+1

Based on 2018, am eligible for partial payment, but will not eligible due to Roth conversion in 2019. Getting the “payment status unavailable” message.

Pb4uski, where did you put in info for refund, as I don’t see a fill in form on the get my payment Site. We also had to pay the last several years so thought they would use the same bank info used to pay the IRS.

Thanks

so question for the smart ones here, what happens if you get a deposit for a deceased person ? I guess it will still get spent to stimulate the economy. I didn't see anything on IRS site in the Corona Virus area. Anyone see an authoritative source with info on this ?
No, but I did see a Bloomberg article about it. One person said they asked the IRS about needing to return the $ and got no answer back. I also have this problem.

+1

Based on 2018, am eligible for partial payment, but will not eligible due to Roth conversion in 2019. Getting the “payment status unavailable” message.

Pb4uski, where did you put in info for refund, as I don’t see a fill in form on the get my payment Site. We also had to pay the last several years so thought they would use the same bank info used to pay the IRS.

Thanks

They can't use an account that you previously authorized for direct debit only. It has to be specifically authorized for direct deposit.

On the Get My Payment site, you first enter your SSN, DoB, Address and ZIP. On the next screen, you will either get:
- a message such as the one you're seeing
- a screen asking for your tax return amounts and your bank info
- a Payment Status page

If you're stuck at the message, there's no way to move forward until the IRS resolves the issue on their side.

+1

Thanks

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment and click on the blue Get My Payment button

My payment status is also unavailable.

Tried again after my time out period. Same result. Tried entering my overpayment amount instead of 0, did not match their records. Tried 2018 return - did not match records. So the only thing that doesn't not match is the correct info from 2019 which isn't acceptable. Alrighty then.

I checked our status yesterday and found that our payment had been deposited into an account that is not ours. I know it is not ours because a) the IRS provided the last four digits of the account and it did not match any of our accounts and b) our sizable tax refund for this year was also directed to another account. We have never given the IRS any direct deposit info so we are looking at tax fraud. I discovered the refund problem about 2 weeks ago and have filed the paperwork to report it. I strongly suspected the stimulus money would face a similar fate and unfortunately I was correct.

I have contacted our congressman's local office and I am getting some help from them in resolving this problem, however it will likely take months.

I got my $100 stimulus check 2 days ago. They obviously used my 2018 tax return when I was single and had too much income for a single person. I was married last year and sent my 2019 tax return in mid-February. I had to send in a paper 1040 so I knew it was going to take longer than if I filed electronically. Well . . . it did take longer. No $2400 for me.

We filed earlier this year and owed money, and I guess they couldn't find the direct deposit info from *last* year, so had to fill out the form at irs.gov - no idea how long we'll have to wait...

Back
Top Bottom