Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

I'm still waiting,

Taxes filed April 10 with my routing numbers. I also put them on the website April 29th. Finally got into the site.

We owe Uncle Sam some $- due by July 15. We have not sent in the $ yet. Is the reason we have not received our stimulus $- because we didn't send in 2019 return yet?

We owe Uncle Sam some $- due by July 15. We have not sent in the $ yet. Is the reason we have not received our stimulus $- because we didn't send in 2019 return yet?

If you owed in the past (so the irs doesn't have your deposit info), that might be it. If you didn't qualify in 2018 that would also do it.

If you owed in the past (so the irs doesn't have your deposit info), that might be it. If you didn't qualify in 2018 that would also do it.

IRS has our bank info for direct deposit. We had a 2018 return and decades of years prior- long time tax payers:)

I am curious if you owe this year and haven't filed yet: the IRS has tax payers in our situation as low priority stimulus payout?

Curious if others are in our situation.:(

As others have mentioned above, just because the IRS has bank information sufficient to draw your taxes owed in the past, does not mean they have bank information sufficient to make this deposit. Only if you have received a direct deposit refund in the past is the information adequate. So if you've never had a direct deposit refund, you have to go on the site and give the bank information to them.

As others have mentioned above, just because the IRS has bank information sufficient to draw your taxes owed in the past, does not mean they have bank information sufficient to make this deposit. Only if you have received a direct deposit refund in the past is the information adequate. So if you've never had a direct deposit refund, you have to go on the site and give the bank information to them.

We have had direct deposit as recent as 2018 taxes, deposited April 2019.

Well, there goes that theory. Hard to say what the issue could be. The website gave me "payment status unavailable" for the longest time, then finally accepted my 2018 numbers (even though I paper filed my 2019 taxes in March) and took my bank information. Then it stalled me for another week or so . Finally, just a few days ago, it said I'll get a deposit tomorrow 5/6/20. So I don't know what else to advise other than to keep trying.

So did we, but they still required account information on the website.

However, we did file our 2019 return and we owed money (had them take the money from the same checking account). I assume they just looked at our 2019 return.

Last edited:

The most likely explanation then is that your 2018 AGI was too high for you to qualify for a stimulus payment.

What does the IRS "Where's my payment?" tool say for you when you put in your 2018 information?

Nope. If you haven't filed 2019 yet, they'll look at your 2018 return.

Received my full deposit as expected as of this morning (5/6).

Just checked and we have a pending transaction from the IRS for $2400.

Of course while waiting for our stimulus, I kind of made my own stimulus with Stemline so now will be stimulating the IRS in the tune of $10,000 or more.

Update: Received our $2400 deposit this morning. On schedule with the date they gave us. Now to stimulate our economy!

We received our $2400 stimulus this morning. We have a list of local charities for this to go to--we are not keeping any for ourselves. So many people need it much more than us.

I read that for the Treasury to make the necessary programming changes to NOT send the money to deceased taxpayers would have delayed the payments for ALL taxpayers; so they let it go, thinking they'll address it later. How they'll address it is an open question.

In my case, I was my father's POA. He passed last November. I did his final taxes for 2019. His refund was deposited into my checking account since he no longer had any accounts (being deceased). In mid-April, I got $1200 deposited into my checking account. Assuming it was my stimulus money, I moved it to savings. Imagine my surprise two weeks later, the treasury letter addressed to Deceased Dad, c/o me informing him they deposited his stimulus money 2 weeks earlier. So, whenever they get their act together, they can come claw it back. I didn't ask for it, they knew he was deceased; yet still sent it.

Got my deceased father's direct deposit on the 15th. Figured I'd stimulate the economy with the money by giving it to my kids (who really need it). I guess if the government wants it back, they know where I live.

Got my deceased father's direct deposit on the 15th. Figured I'd stimulate the economy with the money by giving it to my kids (who really need it). I guess if the government wants it back, they know where I live.

The government has now provided instructions on how to return a stimulus check here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#more

They don't actually say you're required to return it if the recipient is deceased though.

We have a list of local charities for this to go to--we are not keeping any for ourselves. So many people need it much more than us.

We are doing some of both, giving to charities and supporting local businesses that are being devastated during these times. I'm hoping they can stay in business.

Paper checks showed up in the mail yesterday. Two $1200 checks to wards who had died at the beginning of 2019 and a $1200 check to another ward who is a minor of 13 years old.

I'll of course be sending them back, but I cannot imagine how many undeserving people are receiving these checks and not saying anything.

I wonder if the 13 yr old should get $500 , as children do :confused:

The government has now provided instructions on how to return a stimulus check here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#more

They don't actually say you're required to return it if the recipient is deceased though.

DMIL received her paper check today, May 6. IRS said they mailed it May 1. So timing worked out well.

But it includes an extra $1200 for my deceased FIL. He died late December 2018. The 2018 return was MFJ and included his name, but we told Turbo tax he was deceased. TurboTax printed "Filing as surviving spouse" in his signature field. At the top of the return, it printed "DECEASED", along with his full name and date of death.

Also, SSA knew within days as the funeral home informs them even before death certificates are issued. His SS check stopped immediately. That was a year and a half ago.

At this point, it appears the IRS is "requesting" that people return the money. They have provided instructions for doing so. But there is no official mandate related to deceased individuals that I've seen and no published consequences for not returning it.

Certainly the CARES Act has no clawback provision for the advance payments. And technically, the payment was made correctly in accordance with criteria in the law. So this will be interesting.

DMIL is asking me what to do. They filed jointly, so just one check for $2400 made out to her. For now, I told her to deposit the whole thing and we'll wait to see if some more official guidance is issued in the coming days/weeks. Otherwise I'm inclined to just let her keep it. Frankly she needs the money as her finances have been very tight since DFIL died.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom