Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Direct deposits were supposedly starting today. Has anybody received a deposit today? I think the figure was 50m going out.

Nothing so far. We're assuming they're using our 2019 filing which was done back in late February. If for some reason they're using our 2018 filing, we won't see one, so I can't tell if we're a good data point or not. DW did receive her SS direct deposit yesterday, which was expected.

Since I haven't had a refund in years and with no bank info on file I have no idea. All I know is that I'll get it one way or another. :)

I came across an article that stated that the paper checks would go out in AGI order; those with the lowest AGI would get theirs mailed first.

Last edited:
Since I haven't had a refund in years and with no bank info on file I have no idea. All I know is that I'll get it one way or another. :)

I am in the same boat, so I went ahead and paid my taxes early this year, via the IRS website, so they would have my acct and routing number.

Direct deposits were supposedly starting today. Has anybody received a deposit today? I think the figure was 50m going out.

There is no reliable source for this information, so I am inclined not to believe it. I would rely on IRS.gov or public statements made by the Secretary of the Treasury. The latter has said that they're hoping to and committed to getting the direct deposits out in the next couple of weeks.

Even if direct deposits started today, you probably wouldn't see them show up until overnight.

Last edited:
We had a large refund for 2019 taxes, but the gov and TurboTax delayed updating the "new" form for the solar panel/EV rebate program, so approval was delayed. The IRS then sent a check about 3 weeks ago, rather than using the bank info we included in the filing for 2019 (we've had refunds sent to the same account for the last 4-5 years).

So it will be interesting to see if a deposit is made or if we get a check.

I think it takes up to 48 hours for the transfer to make it through the banking network. I would not expect to see it until this weekend.

There is no reliable source for this information, so I am inclined not to believe it. I would rely on IRS.gov or public statements made by the Secretary of the Treasury. The latter has said that they're hoping to and committed to getting the direct deposits out in the next couple of weeks.

I tend to agree. Although it has been widely reported by some media outlets, there is not a single OFFICIAL word on it. So, I am thinking it's more "misinformation" that has grown like a wildfire. Kinda like the story about the possibility of burying the dead in the potter's field in NYC. Although it was debunked at least a couple days ago (the source of the story was some Tweet) I still saw the story on the WSJ this morning. Just another great example of why I don't trust the media.

Last edited:
can anyone link to something definitive saying "today". I've only seen 4/17.

can anyone link to something definitive saying "today". I've only seen 4/17.

That's the problem. I did a pretty extensive search on the likely "official sources" (IRS website news release page, their FB and Twitter pages, etc.) and came up with nothing...even on the most recent press release (which is dated today). I won't harp on the media thing, but it just looks like more evidence that they will report a rumor to be the first one reporting it...then others jump in. Too much ad revenue these days...they GOTTA break the story, even if they aren't properly vetting it.

...but it just looks like more evidence that they will report a rumor to be the first one reporting it...

But in this thread - there is no "they" - not that anyone has shown at least. I don't see anything saying a date other than starting 4/17.

We're all going off the OP's comment which has not been substantiated, and isn't, with a quick google search.

But in this thread - there is no "they" - not that anyone has shown at least. I don't see anything saying a date other than starting 4/17.

We're all going off the OP's comment which has not been substantiated, and isn't, with a quick google search.

"They" are the media outlets that ARE reporting this... maybe I misunderstood what you meant? :confused:

Attachments

• bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 131
ah thanks. my google search didn't return those results. So I couldn't find a "they" to start with.

Odd that one of your links is USA today, when the article I found from them said 4/17...And the one in that link looks like it says only "other sources say it could be starting 4/9"

Anyway, I don't think anyone should expect to see it this weekend. these things tend to happen later than initial planning, not sooner.

ah thanks. my google search didn't return those results. So I couldn't find a "they" to start with.

Odd that one of your links is USA today, when the article I found from them said 4/17...And the one in that link looks like it says only "other sources say it could be starting 4/9"

Anyway, I don't think anyone should expect to see it this weekend. these things tend to happen later than initial planning, not sooner.

No problem. I could rant about Google search results too...but I will spare everyone that pain. :D:D:D

There is now information on irs.gov that they will be providing in mid-April a "get my payment" application that will allow you to check your payment type and status, and verify/update your bank information if you filed with direct deposit.

Also on that page is access to a form for non-filers to enter information to get the payment.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

People are reporting on Bogleheads that they started receiving deposits in their accounts today.

I got my federal tax refund by direct deposit on February 25th.

I got my most recent Social Security direct deposit a couple of days ago.

My bank account shows no deposit, and nothing pending, yet. I am ever hopeful. :) My bank is sometimes slower than molasses.

I got my federal tax refund by direct deposit on February 25th.

I got my most recent Social Security direct deposit a couple of days ago.

My bank account shows no deposit, and nothing pending, yet. I am ever hopeful. :) My bank is sometimes slower than molasses.
Pretty much our situation. Federal tax refund direct deposit on February 20th. DW's SS direct deposit a couple of days ago. Waiting to see if they'll really use the 2019 tax filing for us, or if they'll peek at the 2018 tax filing and say "No way!" Honestly, I would have been fine not getting a check.

Back
Top Bottom