Stream of income in 15 years, via "dorms"

Definitely Skynyrd related...it was also my CB handle a long time ago for a solo drive from NY to FL in 1979 after my Mom relocated. That was a really fun time - 19 years old, still in college and ready to conquer the world. :D
The 5825 refers to my birth year and age when I bought my first house. Both are easy numbers for me to remember. :rolleyes:
Skynyrd is one of those bands I'd wished I'd been able to see live, before the plane crash. I had tickets to Led Zeppelin when the tour was canceled due to John Bonham's death:(

Ya know, that makes me wonder about how to meet other people in my area that would like to get together when concerts come our way. Maybe what I'm really wondering is how to meet other people that are semi-retired, with similar interests? We're a minority... I will look for other threads about this.

Yesterday I ran into someone I worked with 15 years ago, and his wife. They talked about a Travis Tritt concert we had all gone to back then. They were remembering some "incident" that I don't recall. I wasn't sure if I should be embarrassed or not:blush:. Sometimes a fading memory is a blessing.

I don't know if the area your looking at has this option, but here goes. I have a co-worker who bought a piece of land paid it off, then decided to put a duplex on it. Originally the land was going to be for a house for him. Since that first one, he now has, IIRC, 15 or 20 properties he rents. Total time since his first has been less than 5 years. I figure when he starts getting them paid off he'll leave soon after.
I think that guy has it figured out. Think of the level of income he will be phasing into over time!

Funny thing about me. I don't think I'd be any happier with 10K/month as 5K/month. However, it would be very cool to be able to give away 5K/month. You could seriously help some people in need.

Our office had a client that developed similar housing near our local university. He has been very successful. I think he is successful because he got a great location near the school, the local rental market has very low vacancies, and he built before the bust so he was easily able to line up financing for the project. I do think that the issue is going to be getting financing.

Our office had a client that developed similar housing near our local university. He has been very successful. I think he is successful because he got a great location near the school, the local rental market has very low vacancies, and he built before the bust so he was easily able to line up financing for the project. I do think that the issue is going to be getting financing.
Thanks Martha. As suggested, I'd better see if financing will be a show stopper or not.

If not, I'm coming to the realization that I don't mind sweat equity and maintenance work to make it happen - what I don't want is stress. Tenants are the wildcard of course.

Even though it would be a good bit of work, I think I'd enjoy designing the place myself, and helping to build it (at least be the general ctor). I have ideas to make it really compelling to students. If the first is a hit, why not put more of my eggs into building one or more additional units? Kind of like an annuity, without the worry about the financial health of the issuing insurance company.

What you said. fixing stuff is easy. peoples is hard.
Amen to that.

My wife is a special ed teacher for high school students, some with behavior problems. I'd have lasted one week in her job before I throttled one of the punks she has to deal with. Much easier to silence a squeaky floorboard ....

walleye, I have been dealing with lots of real estate investors/developers and lots of lenders lately. One thing is very, very, VERY clear to me: pick your spot and time with care. Great fortunes have been made in real estate, and great fortunes have been lot in it as well. When you do it is crucially important, as lots of peopel who bought a couple years ago are finding out to their chagrin.

I personally think you are nuts, but if you really want to do this I would A) find a partner with some experience and B) start drawing up a business plan and have very specific ideas fleshed out. Then go talk to a local bank, preferably one which you have arelationship and ample deposits with. Be prepared for skepticism.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom