Tax Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually got an alert that they've reached a tentative deal.

An AP article yesterday said the following have been agreed:
  • Top rate 37%
  • Corp rate 21%
  • Some SALT
  • Eliminate corporate AMT
  • Mortgage deduction limit $750K

This is all based on leaks from the negotiations.

Does that mean we are speculating on the speculation?

Below is link to info about the tax "agreement"

I wonder if that will cancel the public meeting at 2PM ??

" The agreement was finalized on Wednesday morning, hours before the first and only scheduled public meeting of the congressional conference committee formed to work out the differences between the House- and Senate-passed versions of the bill. "

more at link

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/us/politics/tax-bill-republicans-deal.html

An AP article yesterday said the following have been agreed:
  • Top rate 37%
  • Corp rate 21%
  • Some SALT
  • Eliminate corporate AMT
  • Mortgage deduction limit $750K

This is all based on leaks from the negotiations.

There were several news articles about this yesterday. But none of them said anything about the extra over age 65 deduction which the House bill eliminates and the Senate bill keeps. For some reason the media is not interested in that.

C-Span is airing the conferees at 2:00 PM today. Maybe they will signal their resolution.

I think the public show trial was supposed to be today. Maybe they decided that was a bit foolhardy and just got it done. Now all I need to know is whether I have to write checks before December 31st.

ETA: No cable, so no C-Span. Will be looking for the blow by blow from you folks when it's done.

Turmp is giving a speech now saying he will sign a 21% corporate tax rate bill.

Fox Business news is confirming they've agreed on a 37% top individual tax rate.

I've noticed the media seldom mentions the lowest tax rate which the House bill raises to 12% but the Senate bill leaves at 10%.

I've noticed the media seldom mentions the lowest tax rate which the House bill raises to 12% but the Senate bill leaves at 10%.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they have 4 brackets, 7 brackets, or something different.

There were several news articles about this yesterday. But none of them said anything about the extra over age 65 deduction which the House bill eliminates and the Senate bill keeps. For some reason the media is not interested in that.

Just now I tried to call Senator John Cornyn's DC office but their main DC number is not connecting to a live person. So I called their Dallas office and was able to speak with an aide to ask him about reconciliation on these two House/Senate differences. All he was able to tell me was Senator Cornyn's has not issued a public statement on that. This might explain why the media is also silent. So why the secrecy ??

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the inner workings of the Senate and House tax bills. They have each been replaced with a final, reconciled tax bill. Once it is released and details available, we will need and have a new tax thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom