Sad November. Changed Life Ahead

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This month me and DW lost a parent. My dad was 92 and her mom was 89. Both lived a good life and, while we’ll miss them, they’re in a better place. I just got home from my MIL’s funeral.

My life changes less than DW’s. I have to close out my dad’s estate, which unfortunately is a bit of a mess, but I did not spend a lot of time with my dad. He lived out of state and I’d visit a couple times a year and talk on the phone from time to time. The biggest issue with his estate is that I cannot finalize it immediately. He had a civil union and the agreement with his wife is that she can continue to live in the house. So, I’ll be somewhat of a landlord for awhile unless I can convince her to move out or something else happens. Since I failed to convince them as a couple that the house was not ideal for their age and capabilities, I don’t hold out any hope for convincing her as an individual.

DW’s situation is much different. She did a lot to take care of her mother, who was in memory care, for the past several years. She would visit her mother frequently and was involved in many tasks like handling her finances and other affairs as needed. I’m sure even I will feel the difference of how DW will spend her time going forward. She also has the estate to deal with but hers is set up better than my dad’s and it can be finalized once all the bills, etc. clear.

Frankly, I think this is going to be more of a challenge than walking away from our jobs.

It’s been discussed on this forum before, but these last couple weeks events have made it clear how important good life documents are. On the health directive, it gave me great comfort to know that what we were doing was absolutely consistent with my dads wishes. I knew we were, but during his time in hospice, I re-read his directive and it was uncanny how closely it addressed his situation.

On the Trust front, again, it’s critical to think your situation through and make sure your plan will work and that you work your plan. My dad messed up. I’ll have to go to probate to follow through on his wishes.

So, tomorrow starts a new phase in our lives. Should be interesting.

So you each lost a parent? My condolences!

Yes, cleaning up the estate and making everything right can take a while. The process actually kind of helps with the acceptance and grieving.

I'm sorry for your loss, Jerry1. I hope that you will comforted by memories of your father in better times as you work through his affairs.

My condolences to both of you. Things will be difficult for awhile, let the grieving process happen, it's also a normal part of the healing process.

Sorry for your losses and my condolences to both of you.

Being the administrator isn't a fun job for sure. In my case there wasn't anything left the nursing home care eat up every last penny.

My wife was the admin for her parents, and it was a slow process ad stressful.

I wish you well and in the end you will have jumped through all the hoops.

So sorry. I lost DM in August. 92 great years. We were close, miss her every day.

As for the financial side of things, she left everything she had to her grandchildren, I couldn't have been prouder of her. I made sure she had a great funeral and tombstone. Anything left (if any) is going to St Jude's Children's Hospital. $0 estate.....

Sad about this for you Jerry. Deep condolences to you and your wife.

All the best as you moved forward and just hope things so as smoothly as possible in this difficult season.

Don't forget to take time for each other and activities you each enjoy.

My deepest condolences. It’s never easy to lose a parent. My thoughts are with you.

It's tough to accept losing a parent even when you knew the day was coming. The finality of it, rather than the anticipation of it. Take some time to go through the grieving. The estate stuff will still be there. You are wise to start thinking about the process, but just do prep work for now. Let some bills come through and get a better idea on the total financial picture.

Jerry, I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm going through the same thing. 93-yo DM died on Nov 19. Totally unexpected, or as unexpected as it can get for a 93-yo who had an enlarged heart and smoked for over 70 years before quiting cold turkey a few years ago. She died in her sleep and was found when the assisted living facility personnel went in to give her her morning meds. We are thankful that she died peacefully in her sleep compared to DW's step-dad and her DM who passed many years ago from cancer and each had to endure a year or so of pain and suffering. Also, her quality of life was on a steady decline. I last talked with her on a video call early in November and she was a bit out of it but it may have just been the end of a busy day. She outlived the vast majority of her friends and peers. Just part of the circle of life and the end of a grand chapter.

Anyway, I now have two trusts to wind down which include some real estate and tIRA and Roth accounts to get distributed to the beneficiaries (me and my 4 siblings). Luckily, we all get along very well and all trust each other so we can spread out the tasks. I don't think we will need to probate as virtually everything is in trusts or beneficiary accounts or TOD.

So sorry Jerry, what a difficult time for your family.

So, tomorrow starts a new phase in our lives. Should be interesting.

Sincere condolences. Here's hoping you don't have too much hassle with the various agencies you'll deal with; it's never easy.

So sorry for both your losses.
My DF passed last year and I had to clean up a couple of things. My DM is 90 currently and all assets are in either in an irrevocable trust or TOD/Beneficiaries. She trusts me with all the financial decisions and no pushback from the other siblings.

My condolences to you and your DW Jerry.

Sorry for your loss, and your wife's, Jerry. Even though they lived a good, long life, it's never easy.

Sorry for your losses. My dad had his estate plans very buttoned up and it turned out to be a major gift in a time of grief. Best wishes sorting through yours.

Sorry for your losses Jerry. And while the tasks ahead now appear to be challenging, the process will become easier as you go through it and the number and difficulty of your tasks lessens. You and your DW take care.

Back
Top Bottom