Tax software deals

I *think* if you find basic not enough, you can upgrade. I have the same things you have, + Foreign Tax Credit and ACA. I get Deluxe because I need state too. As soon as I start entering investment stuff it tries to get me to upgrade to premium, which I don't need. If you follow their guidance at https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/desktop/ they tell you to get premium.

That's odd, because when I go to their web page I see Basic for the sale price of $14.99 and Deluxe plus State for $34.95, but not Deluxe only. Interesting. No consequence to me since I only wanted Basic, but hmmmm....
It's there, you have to hunt for it. I don't need a state version.

This time of year is the sweet spot for HRB - for direct sales before they lower the price at Amazon and other places like Costco. If you go to Amazon you'll find an H&R Block Store site. Prices are the same as their web page, but will be reduced at Thanksgiving.

The price I quoted only displays if you use the email to link to the H&R Block web site - so it is only offered to former users who are willing to buy early. Software won't be released for another week or so and even then is incomplete.

Their main competitor is TT and at Amazon it is bundled with a 4% rebate. That is you get to use your tax refund at Amazon and they increase it by 4%. Nice perk but you pay a higher price for it.

+1. Now $59.99 less $10 Amazon gift card would be $49.99 ... I'll wait but I wish I had been following this thread more closely cuz I would have jumped on it at $39.99

The price has dropped to $49 with no $10 gift card for Deluxe Fed+State. I’ll bite. I’m trying to figure out the difference between the “CD ROM” and “Disc” platforms.

Amazon gave notice that our pre-ordered Premier disc will be delivered Nov. 24.

Always used Turbotax Premier for ESPP and other complications.

Life is less complicated, although I did sell stocks last year.

Do I need Premier just because I sold a few stocks? Or should Deluxe do the job?

Always used Turbotax Premier for ESPP and other complications.

Life is less complicated, although I did sell stocks last year.

Do I need Premier just because I sold a few stocks? Or should Deluxe do the job?
Deluxe is fine. When you indicate you have 1099 from sales, TT will recommend Premier, but you can answer No to that. I don't know what Premier would do better. Perhaps if the stock was purchased long ago such that the basis isn't reported, it would give you some guidance on where to find your basis.

Deluxe is fine. When you indicate you have 1099 from sales, TT will recommend Premier, but you can answer No to that. I don't know what Premier would do better. Perhaps if the stock was purchased long ago such that the basis isn't reported, it would give you some guidance on where to find your basis.
Thanks! I found Premier to be helpful for ESPP. It automated some of the stuff you'd have to possibly calculate by hand.

If it is just giving me basis hints, that's not much help. Been doing that since 1978. :)

I had checked Amazon earlier and the 2020 wasn't available yet.

Checked just now, and H&R Block is available for download. Basic $20+tax, Deluxe+State $38.

Last year, I bought on 11/28 and it was $25 for Deluxe+State.

Maybe I'll put an alert on that item...it's bound to go on sale in the next few days. Ok, it's only $13, but I'm not going to need the software between now and after turkey day.

I just received an email from American Express. I currently have a AMEX Offer of $10 off a $30 purchase from H&R Block.

I went ahead and bought the Deluxe+state for $30.85 which when the AMEX Offer is factored in is $20.85.

I had checked Amazon earlier and the 2020 wasn't available yet.

Checked just now, and H&R Block is available for download. Basic $20+tax, Deluxe+State $38.

Last year, I bought on 11/28 and it was $25 for Deluxe+State.

Maybe I'll put an alert on that item...it's bound to go on sale in the next few days. Ok, it's only $13, but I'm not going to need the software between now and after turkey day.
I ordered TurboTax H&B on Nov 6th, and downloaded it that day. Since I haven't installed yet, I can't say for certainty if it's an empty zip...
:D

I'm waiting for the Turbotax Deluxe + State disc to hit the $39 mark like it usually does by around New Year's eve. Got my price tracker all set :).

I'm waiting for the Turbotax Deluxe + State disc to hit the $39 mark like it usually does by around New Year's eve. Got my price tracker all set :).

I'm waiting for Fidelity to pony up.:LOL:

I will admit that, in the past, I have filed for an extension to Oct. 15, solely in order to find cheap deals on Turbotax!
:angel:

Just bought TT yesterday and downloaded it.... No special deal but I wanted to get started... Same as the past few years, some areas aren't finished yet (e.g. IRA/401k distributions)....

Newegg has 50% off the CD versions of H&R Block Deluxe ($17.49) and Deluxe+State ($22.49) with free shipping. Use the promo codes on the product page to get the discount.

The deluxe/state edition is not a CD. It's a physical card mailed with a code you enter into a website.
I didn't try the other link.

I did order the deluxe/state though as I do not have a CD drive on my laptop. Or any other computer for that matter.

Thanks!

This is what they will send me;
32-732-138-V02.jpg

Slightly silly they will mail a card.

Either way is fine with me, as I'll download the software and save it, so I have it in future years. Might even burn it to CD, but getting away from that as they take up so much space.

Back
Top Bottom