Tax software deals

When I'm notified that all my tax info is available, (late February, early March)
I go to eBay, Target, Walmart, & purchase TT deluxe from whoever has the lowest price.

Not concerned about saving 10$ or $20 on an item that literally saves me 100's of $ every year.

(not that there's anything wrong with that) :)

Just ordered Deluxe from newegg at $17.49 (with coupon that shows on their website).

Walmart Screwed Me Over

The price on walmart.com is now $34.97.

I never got the email with the download link. I don't have spam filtering on, so that's not it. I went into chat the first day, they said they resent it and to wait 24 hours, which I did. Didn't come. I went into chat the second day, they said they resent it and to wait 24 hours, which I did. Didn't come.

Today I figured I'd just ask for my money back and immediately reorder it, but that was before I knew that the price went up. The chat said they couldn't give me my money back without escalating and waiting 48 hours.

Nothing like this ever happens to me on Amazon. Walmart ain't Amazon :mad:

Just ordered Deluxe from newegg at $17.49 (with coupon that shows on their website).
I'm seeing this too: $35 for Deluxe (no state) minus $17.50 using the promotion code.

The code is posted right under each listing after you search for "H&R Block". My code was 23BKFCYMB43, but it wasn't shown until after login, so yours might be different.

Unfortunately, you don't get the $17.50 off if you try to apply the code to Deluxe+State.

I went into chat the first day, they said they resent it and to wait 24 hours, which I did. Didn't come. I went into chat the second day, they said they resent it and to wait 24 hours, which I did. Didn't come.

Nothing like this ever happens to me on Amazon. Walmart ain't Amazon :mad:

So they said that they resent it, and now you are telling us that YOU resent it! :D

(No actual message, just my little "resent it" joke.)

I ordered H&R Block Premium from Walmart on Friday morning for $32.50 and 12 minutes later received the email with the download link & key. Works fine.

Today both Office Depot and Amazon have H&R Block Premium at $32.49

I ordered H&R Block Premium from Walmart on Friday morning for $32.50 and 12 minutes later received the email with the download link & key. Works fine.
Glad it worked fine for you. Even if Walmart has a glitch with my situation, I wouldn't hold that against them. The bigger problem is no way to really get this resolved in a timely manner.

I got my email and download link from Walmart 20 minutes after buying. I bought the Mac version.

Amazon is offering H&R Block Premium & Business 2020 for $39.99.

This is a good price, so I went ahead and bought it. I only use the HRB Business tax prep software (I use TurboTax Deluxe for personal tax return prep).

Get it while it lasts! :greetings10:

Amazon is offering H&R Block Premium & Business 2020 for $39.99.

This is a good price, so I went ahead and bought it. I only use the HRB Business tax prep software (I use TurboTax Deluxe for personal tax return prep).

Get it while it lasts! :greetings10:

Why can't you use the HRB Business tax prep software for a return for business, and for a personal return :confused:

Why can't you use the HRB Business tax prep software for a return for business, and for a personal return :confused:

HRB delivers two separate applications, with two separate sets of forms. The personal app supports 1040-related forms, whereas the business app supports 1065, 1041, 1120-S, and other business-related forms. I just delete the personal app immediately after it's installed - no biggie.

My personal preference would be for HRB to allow me to buy just the Business app, but they've never supported this - don't know why. :confused:

Amazon has their Cyber Monday sale today. Less last year's $22.49 for H&R Block Deluxe + State. This year for $21.09, either CD or download.

Last edited:
Amazon has their Cyber Monday sale today. Less last year's $22.49 for H&R Block Deluxe + State. This year for $21.09, either CD or download.
Thanks GS. The price for me was $22.49 (plus state tax).

Downloaded, CD burned, and started it running on Windows 7 (without argument, even though Win7 is not in the list of accepted OS's any more).

Now all I need to do is get my money back from Walmart and their horrific e-delivery mess. They'll probably find a way to email it to me (after 4 days of waiting), then I'll have two copies :facepalm:

Has TurboTax fallen out of favour? I see a lot of folks here ordering it. I have used Turbo Tax for as long as I can remember with no issues. Does H&R read last years TT data?

I don’t think it’s so much that it’s fallen out of favor but that it’s not on sale yet. The debacle with schedule D did turn people off, but my guess is that TT is still the most used by members on this site that do their own taxes. I guess a poll may be in order. :)

As a very long time TT user, it is getting harder to pay for it given the deals available for HRB.

Has TurboTax fallen out of favour? I see a lot of folks here ordering it. I have used Turbo Tax for as long as I can remember with no issues. Does H&R read last years TT data?

Not for me. I recall that some members had problems with H&R Block and I didn't want to go through the learning process again with a different software package, so I'm staying with TT.

My experience with HR Block way back during the TT master boot record days was a debacle (2003). It didn't work for me, but then again I had stock options and ESPP sales, which HR Block couldn't easily digest back then. I had to do 1/2 of the calculations by hand, even with the highest level version of the personal software.

The TT master boot record (2003) and Premium upsell (2017) show a certain pattern of distasteful behavior. Still, I continued to pay the piper.

HRB sounds better these days. I may be willing to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom