Tax software deals

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I received an email from H&R Block for $20 off Fed + State Delux program ($34.95 plus $5.99 for extended download service) if I buy in the next couple of weeks. Program available Nov. 9.

Thinking about doing that....

Wait. Just wait until Thanksgiving Day. The software won't work until mid-December.

I don't need the state tax software, but last year I bought the Federal Deluxe for $14.99 plus state sales tax and downloaded from Amazon.

I don’t think it’s that great of a deal. If you are looking to save $$ the extended download doesn’t seem to be worth it. Are you super anxious to start your tax prep?

I get mine and my family and friends done for free by being a volunteer tax preparer for the AARP Tax Aide program.

Of course, I "have to" volunteer like 40-80 hours in the spring doing taxes for strangers, plus 40 hours of training in the winter.

But they pay mileage, and I like to help people out, so I think I'm getting the sweeter end of the deal.

I just wait for Fido to give me my copy of TurboTax.

I always wait for TT at Costco. Won’t have all my docs until then, and I’d rather wait for the latest updates then anyway.

I don't see any reason to go looking for tax software until December. You can't realistically use it before then in most cases, and you certainly don't have all your documents yet.

If all you want to do is get a rough idea, just use the "what if" part of the current version.

I don't see any reason to go looking for tax software until December. You can't realistically use it before then in most cases, and you certainly don't have all your documents yet.

If all you want to do is get a rough idea, just use the "what if" part of the current version.

Fidelity has generally rolled this out in January the last couple years.

Last year I bought early to make sure I was still under the ACA subsidy max with the new tax form changes. I was pretty sure nothing really changed with respect to the ACA cliff but I wanted to see it for myself. It wasn't too hard to simulate the 1099s I hadn't received yet, and I would've done that anyway with a "what if" on the old tax version or my spreadsheet.

For this year, I feel like I've got enough confidence with my spreadsheet, but I may still buy before I do my Roth conversions. Not worth saving $10 or $20 only to find out I made a $5000 error on the subsidy calculations.

I just checked the web site. I guess HR Block is not supporting Windows 7.

Since: "Extended support ended on January 14, 2020, ten years after the release of Windows 7, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates to most users."

I think any company concerned about security issues would not produce software to work on Windows 7.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens this year. Last year IIRC, it seemed like they rolled it out later than usual.

If I have to pay for it, I'll pay for it.

But I think I may be forced to upgrade Mac OS in order to be able to run it.

Last year I bought early to make sure I was still under the ACA subsidy max with the new tax form changes. I was pretty sure nothing really changed with respect to the ACA cliff but I wanted to see it for myself. It wasn't too hard to simulate the 1099s I hadn't received yet, and I would've done that anyway with a "what if" on the old tax version or my spreadsheet.

For this year, I feel like I've got enough confidence with my spreadsheet, but I may still buy before I do my Roth conversions. Not worth saving $10 or $20 only to find out I made a $5000 error on the subsidy calculations.

I also am leaning towards buying it before end of Dec so I can make Right amount of Roth conversion $.

I also am leaning towards buying it before end of Dec so I can make Right amount of Roth conversion $.

Understood, but if I were trying to be that precise about the conversion amount I would be very much afraid of missing something (a forgotten bit of interest or dividend, or something similar) that would push me over the line.

I simply do a rough calculation and plan on converting a percentage (like 97%) of what I expect to get away with. That keeps my sleep peaceful.

Understood, but if I were trying to be that precise about the conversion amount I would be very much afraid of missing something (a forgotten bit of interest or dividend, or something similar) that would push me over the line.

I simply do a rough calculation and plan on converting a percentage (like 97%) of what I expect to get away with. That keeps my sleep peaceful.

I agree with you. I’m not trying to convert the exact ideal number as I recognize there may be some income I’m missing without having 1099s in hand. By right amount, I’m shooting for close to top of what I ideally would like to do with factoring in a cushion so that I don’t go over that amount.

I sure wish they would do this in Dec as it would make some year end decisions a bit more precise than the "what-if" in the previous year's edition. The what-if works well as a planning tool. It is not as good as the real thing for an action deciding tool IMO. But I will take what I get. :angel:

One reason for why to buy and use a tax program in December is the confusion over the ACA subsidy cliff. If you look up 2020 400% FPL you do not get the 2020 subsidy cliff. It's based on the previous year FPL, and that has confused people.

I sure wish they would do this in Dec as it would make some year end decisions a bit more precise than the "what-if" in the previous year's edition. The what-if works well as a planning tool. It is not as good as the real thing for an action deciding tool IMO. But I will take what I get. :angel:

Regarding Fidelity, does anyone know if you can get a year to date from Fidelity ? Last year was first for my FIRE and had some changes this year also with DW starting SS. I’ve been trying to track all income and quarterly tax payments, along with one time items and conversions. Not a lot of confidence in my results :D

Regarding Fidelity, does anyone know if you can get a year to date from Fidelity ? Last year was first for my FIRE and had some changes this year also with DW starting SS. I’ve been trying to track all income and quarterly tax payments, along with one time items and conversions. Not a lot of confidence in my results :D

Go to the Statements tab / Then select Tax Forms / On the right side of the screen there's a Year to Date Activity selection. A little inconvenient but the info is there.

Agree. IMO, these minute program price differences are small potatoes to the risks of too much income & lost opportunity of future taxes avoidance.

Go to the Statements tab / Then select Tax Forms / On the right side of the screen there's a Year to Date Activity selection. A little inconvenient but the info is there.

Exactly what I needed !! Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom